doomsdayrubbish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 doomsdayrubbish
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts

Found this article from 2017 about the bias autistic people face when it comes to getting a transplant and I found it really disgusting and awful how doctors can think like this.

Here's the link to the article:https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/people-with-autism-intellectual-disabilities-fight-bias-in-transplants/2017/03/04/756ff5b8-feb2-11e6-8f41-ea6ed597e4ca_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d99d4f304ec9

So what are your thoughts on this?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

It's not "awful", it's a sad truth; there are simply not enough organs to go around.

Let's look at it this way: if you have two candidates available for transplant surgery but only one organ to give, and one was an otherwise healthy individual who would live a long and healthy life if given the transplant, and the other had so many preexisting conditions that would probably get in the way of the transplant working well, that's not exactly a difficult choice to make.

And it's not even about autism. Let's pick another two people....ummm how about a scholar-athlete at a college and a 50 year old smoker. Does the 50-year old smoker have an equal right to the transplant? Or should it go to the kid who is taking care of her health and getting an education and will probably do more? The scholar-athlete, of course, should get the transplant.

There is no ethics here, it's a simple list of pros and cons, and the guy in this article has more cons stacked against him. It sucks, it really is terrible and I am sorry this happens to anyone, but that's how it goes.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4252 Posts

Somebody told me today I was slightly autistic, yet highly intelligent. I don’t think I’m autistic, however, be it as it may, even if I am or not, autistic people are very misunderstood.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

People are routinely turned down for organ transplants if they are not healthy enough. Lack of organs means they transplant them to the more viable candidates.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

mrbojangles25 Are you the devil?

The young should take priority because old people have already had their fun.

But autism does not affect life expectancy and are still human beings. omg.

Even if they are assholes.