RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1351 Posts

I’ve been looking at getting into playing Warhammer 40K, it’s always seemed interesting to me but now I want to pull the trigger and build a small army and try it out. I’m not so interested in the painting part of the hobby (even though that is a big portion of the hobby) but the gameplay seems fun and tactical. Any Warhammer fans on here or people that tried it and have reasons they didn’t enjoy it?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

@ratchetclank92: I do the video games, I don't have the time or even artistic sensibilities for that matter to bother with miniatures.

If you know people who do though then I'd encourage it. I don't, so, I'd be stepping into that world all on my own.

Is there a market for assembled/painted miniatures? Aside from people selling their own? If so, and if it's affordable, that'd be most the battle right there.

Anyhow, I didn't play much D&D with others but few times I did nobody had miniatures. Perhaps these games can be played with paper and dice... just guessing, never played it that way for WH40K myself.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

I have an old buddy who is into this HEAVILY. Just from what I've seen with him, it looks like a large time investment, and that's all I need to know to stay away from it right now as I've got a lot on my plate as-is.

He really likes it, though. He's always showing off his miniatures, and he's gotten really good at painting them.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8781 Posts

Played a couple games in high school. Painting the miniatures helped get me invested in the characters and were actually fun to paint. Unfortunately for me, my fellow players were also so invested in the miniatures that each of us ended up throwing a fit and I think someone may have thrown something. But that may have just been a matter of maturity at play.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lamprey263

I've been watching videos on Warhammer 40K lore after getting into WH40K Darktide and Owlcat's WH40K Rogue Trader.

I played other WH/WH40K games in past, Dawn of War on PC like YEARS ago, and though I loved it I still knew little about the universe. Space Marines was also very familiar to content. Both games similarly are about human world suffering incursions of Orcs and then Space Marines come to save the day only to realize the true villain coming to try to ruin the human world's day is Chaos Marines. Fun games but they didn't do much to flesh out the universe for me.

Last few years I've mostly played Fatsharks's Warhammer Vermintide games and as a gamer I love those, just great Left 4 Dead style action, my first foray into Warhammer and not the 40K world but loved it still. Still, even there a lot flies right over my head but I hardly notice as rhe gameplay is just so satisfying.

Anyhow, I started lately after getting into Darktide trying to learn more about the WH40K world and their factions with some interesting videos from YouTubers who explain this stuff, and gotta say, really interesting and dark and messed up universe the more you learn about it.

While you figure out which route to go with the miniature style games, learn about the universe and its factions. It's quite an investment to undertake the preparation needed to play a campaign, so, figure out what kind of campaign might best suit you so you know what kind of set you want to create.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lamprey263

@DEVILinIRON: "But that may have just been a matter of maturity at play."

I'm going to assume this will always an issue. 🤣

The very first time I even saw what tabletop pen and paper dice gaming looked like I accidentally walked into a gaming store at a strip mall in early-mid 90s thinking it had video games but they were all board games like the ones I'd later find out years later would be games that take like days to play.

In the back of the shop there were like 4 or 5 guys at a table doing something like a D&D campaign and they argued with each other the while time.

These things can take hours to play and honestly I can just see people getting cranky eventually. I've experienced this frustration first hand after a never ending game of Risk, eventually everyone be really cranky and going on suicide charges to get it over with but damn that game just won't ever end.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I played a match or two, many moons ago with a buddy who plays. It was fun but I couldn't see myself spending the money required to put an army together. If you got the time and money though, go for it. If you find it's not for you, sell the shit to someone else.

I do however still play Blood Bowl. It's the Warhammer version of football. You only have to buy 1 team for about $40 instead of putting together a small army. Games last about 3 hours and provide a great reason to sit around with a twelve pack and a pizza.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

Never tried the figurines, but I do love the total war version of it.

I only stopped recently because I thought their dlc practices were too abusive.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

I think just buildings and painting the army is fun enough, don't even think you really need to get into the gaming part of it to still have fun (though that's certainly a major draw, I am sure).

I've got a friend that enjoys painting miniatures and he has a small squad-set of figures (I forgot what it's called but it's as squad-level size instead of like an entire army, much more affordable).

Plus, if you get brushes and paint and gear for building, you can use it on other figures, too.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RatchetClank92

Yeah the time investment and financial investment is pretty steep, I have a couple friends who are interested in playing so I’m hoping we can build a small army and see how far we want to go with it. I’ve been enjoying playing more games in real life with people rather than video games lately, magic the gathering for example so this seems like a promising game for me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
@ratchetclank92 said:

Yeah the time investment and financial investment is pretty steep, I have a couple friends who are interested in playing so I’m hoping we can build a small army and see how far we want to go with it. I’ve been enjoying playing more games in real life with people rather than video games lately, magic the gathering for example so this seems like a promising game for me.

Have you played D&D? I got into it a few years ago and I'm now DM in one group and a player in another.

It's cheap to get into, all you really need is a player's handbook, some dice, and a Roll20 account (it's a great virtual tabletop application).

The popularity soared during COVID and people are surprisingly curious about it too. I've gotten all kinds of people to play or show up.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

Played a few matches with a friend's set, never got my own.

Love the 40k universe tho, love alot of the video games, got into reading the books. Just don't have time for miniatures or have enough friends who play it

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RatchetClank92

@mrbojangles25:

I have played a game with a few friends a couple months ago and had a great time, we’ve been trying to make it a regular gaming session but have a tough time lining up all of our schedules. I’m more into the combat aspect of it than the role playing though.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DEVILinIRON

I know it's a bit OT, (hahaha, get it?) but I just got this game:

You can use your own miniatures, so that's really cool. Still reading the rule set, but it's not too complex looking. I'm jazzing to play.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2386 Posts

You can get into 40k big or small. Build a small strike team with basic paint jobs or Build a huge , possibly (probably) multiple armie with lots of conversions and time consuming paint jobs. When I was into the hobby I was more interested in painting and converting minis that actually playing. What had me drift away is that ironically as I got older and had more money to spend on the hobby there were fewer and fewer people to play within a realistic drive.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@ratchetclank92 said:

@mrbojangles25:

I have played a game with a few friends a couple months ago and had a great time, we’ve been trying to make it a regular gaming session but have a tough time lining up all of our schedules. I’m more into the combat aspect of it than the role playing though.

Yeah most of my group is into combat. We have one guy that was in theater in high school so he likes to roleplay and ham it up a bit, it kind of get's other people going too.

It's a big tent, there's room for everyone in D&D.

And you sort of hit the nail on the head: scheduling a good time is the hardest part of it all.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RatchetClank92

Well I pulled the trigger on the “Leviathan” kit. Basically a big starter kit with 2 armies (Space Marines vs Tyranids) and a few bottles of paint to get started. I assembled all the space marines in one afternoon and already primed and did the first base cost. I am quite surprised how much I enjoyed painting, I thought I wouldn’t have the patience for it but I just put on some Tchaikovsky and found it super relaxing. My plan is to have both armies ready and painted to have some games with my friends and see if they are interested. If not there’s a couple shops around me that do Warhammer events every week I can check out.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DEVILinIRON

@ratchetclank92: Nice!