What do your parents think of you playing video games as an adult?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3481 Posts

As an adult, I sometimes get comments from my parents saying that video games are made for kids, a waste of money and a waste of time. Guess things don't change with my parents haha.

What about you?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

My parents are ok with it. Started playing PC games when I was in junior high school. It's kinda normal to them.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1107 Posts

They never commented on it, I guess because it didn't seem to be a hindrance in having a social life (in fact it helped), or taking care of my own family and my responsibilities, and I put that as a priority over gaming. Gaming inspired me to learn about tech and programming which ended up being good job skills, so maybe they see it as a benefit.

If my face was always in my phone they would probably be likely to comment on that, but I happen to hate that behavior, so IDK.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

I don't think they give it much thought. We don't really discuss it; they know I am happy and enjoying my life, that's what they care about.

I think if we had an honest conversation, they'd probably say they don't like it. Not in a judgemental sense, they just think there's better things to do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Their dead.

Just like Home Alone if I was 30+, great.

Avatar image for deactivated-661eae767772c
deactivated-661eae767772c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 deactivated-661eae767772c
Member since 2022 • 245 Posts

@omegamaster: "a waste of money and a waste of time".

I'm 37yrs old.

My Father and Stepmother love that I became good at building computers and gaming as a hobby. Those abilities fueled my desire to work for the company that I do today.

My Mother and Stepfather still try to lecture me about money and how it doesn't grow on trees even though, by myself, I make twice as much as they did at retirement. Oh and they STILL tell me that someday I'll have a real, hard-working job. I think they're stuck in that small-town, bash-your-brains-in for shit-pay mentality. My wife makes as much as I do, so do the math.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@omegamaster:

They use to be made for kids. They were very simple back when I first started gaming. But now a days there are video games that kids would not find enjoyable and are too challenging, they are made for grown ups to enjoy.

Back on topic, my parents knew I found video games very interesting since probably 6 years old and continued to buy them until I bought my own (ps2era). When I lived with them I would only hear complaints if I was too loud cursing.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

doubt my mother has any issues. 90% of the time now i'm playing with my kids and they love it.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

My parents let me do whatever I wanted both as a kid and as an adult. Growing up, they never criticized me for staying up till morning playing games, partying late at night, or skipping classes.

Thanks to them I feel I have very satisfied life that aligned with my needs. And I will show the same attitude towards my kids.

Let them do whatever they want as they are free human beings not slaves. I have done double masters (MBA in Finance and Marketing), and married with two kids. Not into drugs, debts or anything. This shows that trusting your kids will eventually make them a successful person.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

If my dad was alive I'd probably have to buy him a gaming PC so I could play games on mine. I guess my mom's OK with it, she doesn't really get it but she realizes we're different generations. In a lot of ways they were a lot older when they were my age (early 40's) even though everything was more relaxed and job security was a bunch of first aid and fire procedures.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

Haven't asked. If they cared, they would've said something.

@omegamaster said:

As an adult, I sometimes get comments from my parents saying that video games are made for kids, a waste of money and a waste of time. Guess things don't change with my parents haha.

What about you?

I'd tell them that the things they like doing is a waste of money and time. If they don't agree, I'd make them explain why the entertainment you're having is a waste of time while their entertainment isn't.

Stupid comments will be stupid, unless you have a good explanation. I'm 99% sure your parents does not, and I'd personally not let them get away with it, lol. Unless your parents are 80 years old or something.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

They're fine with it I guess. My brother and I have been gaming since primary school so they've gotten used to it by now. We don't even play that much these days anyway.

TOUCAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TOUCAL
Member since 2023 • 7 Posts

They would blame unmarried status on video games.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

My Dad is a Boomer with undiagnosed ADHD, so it's safe to assume he doesn't get it lol. He just thinks his son's "into computers" and seems to think all things tech related can be solved by me because they all correlate with each other. He's right, they usually do and I can lol.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#16 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6098 Posts

My parents have passed away years ago. I’m 49 years old and been playing games since the early 80’s,but my parents never cared either way but my father didn’t like me playing any games on the living room tv because he usually watches it in the evening to watch the local news. Other than that don’t think my parents cared.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

They should losen up honestly , it not as though I'm playing through that shit like a discord mod

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16017 Posts

They don't care. They have hobbies and I have mine. I don't judge my dad for watching sports all the time or my mom for liking country music. It's to each his own. If I had a son/daughter, I would approve of him/her playing video games, so long as they aren't skipping school or refusing to do their homework. There has to be balance in being a gamer.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts

I don’t think they give it any consideration whatsoever, honestly.

My mom has dementia so she’s out of it (doesn’t even know what state she’s in), and my father is indifferent. They leave me to my own devices.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Well, my mom spends more time playing games on her tablet nowadays.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 693 Posts

I usually don't talk games with my parents and I am very responsible and have been financially independent for decades. So they just don't know/don't care.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Mom's happy that's my hobby and not other crap I would've ended up doing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

At the time of me growing up, my parents don't even care back than and certainly not now. My Dad passed away back in early 2017, so he didn't care of me playing video games into my early 30s and my mom to this day doesn't even care if I'm still playing games like Pokemon for example.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

I’m 46 years old now games have been a big part of my life. My parents are a big reason why I have my switch Oled and now my games are basically my choice when I can get new ones as I pay for things myself now. My parents didn’t really care that I play games.

momo372

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 momo372
Member since 2005 • 2641 Posts

I recently had heart surgery, so the build up to it, and the recovery journey after it my parents were very encouraging for me to play so i can take my mind off the process.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

They never cared. I don't game as much as I used to, maybe 10hrs a week or so. My brother is trying to get my niece into playing games and she's 3. She was playing Spyro remastered the other day, and she was as happy as a pig in shit.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

My parents were gaming way back when I was too young to pick up a controller yet. Hell, my GRANDFATHER had a 2600, a Vectrex and a ColecoVision, so gaming runs in the family.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

They cared a lot more when I was younger. But I guess showing that I have it as a hobby and not being addicted to it helped calm them.