Who do you think was the best nu metal band of all time in their prime?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Poll Who do you think was the best nu metal band of all time in their prime? (20 votes)

Slipknot 10%
Korn 15%
Linkin Park 25%
Limp Bizkit 5%
Deftones 10%
Static-X 5%
System of a Down 25%
P.O.D. 0%
Other 5%
 • 
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

From those, I liked Slipknot, Korn and Deftones. Still find some of their shit good.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24942 Posts

From the poll, I would say Korn, although I like many of the others you've mentioned, too. I also like Mudvayne, Coal Chamber, Ded, Genuflect, etc.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Deftones are in my opinion the only ones that stood the test of time. Not to be a dick but I'm ashamed I listened to half the others on the list.

Etirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Etirus
Member since 2021 • 277 Posts

system and it's not even close

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I'm a pretty big Linkin Park fan, and still listen to all of their albums. Slipknot comes in on a close second place among those 🙂

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16023 Posts

I would say Mushroomhead (when Jeffrey Nothing was in the band). If I had to pick something from your list, I would say Static-X. I loved the album 'Start a war'.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

If this was a best (as in my favourite) band poll, Linkin park would win hands down, but they spent a relatively short period in the nu metal genre and I personally find that their best stuff came after they moved on from the genre.

I think Korn is a more fitting band to represent the genre.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I've seen 5 of the bands listed, but I've only seen one of them 3 times. Gonna have to give my vote to System of a Down.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

My favorite from the list? System of a Down. Followed by Linkin Park. I'm not big into rock, but they're both sooooo good!

But, I'd be lying if I didn't think Korn was the most influential band on the list. Like I said, not a big metal head, so I'm probably wrong. But they seemed to make such a big splash.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

Limp Bizkit! I still listen to them, Fred Durst is awesome.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

KoRn for sure

SOAD 2nd

I love metal and the metal community can act elitist about nu metal, ( not real metal or the "downfall" of metal.) It's annoying.

but I like nu metal, it has its place.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Even back when I was in High School, I had no idea Linkin Parks were consider Nu Metal, always look at them as just Heavy Metal (aka traditional metal) bands but I guess that's due to Mike Shinoda always doing the vocals with his hip-hop influence.

Anyway, I want to go with Linkin Parks but I'll go with Other: Disturbed as they were kinda the answer to System of a Down and I always admire David Draiman's monkey noise vocals are legendary for all the wrong reasons. I mean it's a very unique style, but it's hilariously terrible and the fact he does it in so many of their songs makes it funnier and more terrible. That said, Disturbed gets my vote and I also agree with @shellcase86 regarding Korn being most influential band on the list and I'm still a Korn fan, but it seems they change over the years but their last album was pretty good IMO.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

I'm probably gonna have to go with Deftones; I honestly haven't listened to the rest of the bands mentioned since the mid-aughts.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

Not sure I've heard the Deftones or Slipknot. I'll have to check them out. Otherwise I will go with Linkin' Park.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Linkin Park. Just look at their discography.

/thread

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24942 Posts

@sargentd: I don't think nu metal is really that bad. Musically it does sound more rock, though. Bands like Faith No More created the alternative metal genre. Primus, Jane’s Addiction, Rage Against The Machine, etc. came along, too. Industrial metal bands like Godflesh, Fear Factory, Nailbomb, White Zombie, Strapping Young Lad, etc. are more on the metal side and considered metal, while bands like NIN, KMFDM, Static-X, Powerman 5000, etc. are more on the rock side. I still like both sides of industrial metal.

I also like some metalcore bands like Converage, Shadows Fall, Darkest Hour, God Forbid, As I Lay Dying, etc. A metalcore band can be considered metal, if it leans towards more the metal side than the hardcore side like Lamb of God. I'm not into stuff like A Day To Remember, Asking Alexandra, Bring Me The Horizon, Bullet For My Valentine, etc., though.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8782 Posts

Slipknot has a song called The Devil in I. Heheheheh, sweet!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Not a big NuMetal fan, but I do like System of a Down.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18806 Posts

@davillain: @warmblur:

What's the differences between nu and ol metal?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9582 Posts

Not really sure about the terminology, but I'll go with Static X. Listening to them while working out got me pumped and I was in pretty insane shape.. once upon a time.. lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@PSP107 said:

Nu metal has rap and sometimes a DJ old metal is your traditional sound of instruments and vocals.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts
@warmblur said:
@PSP107 said:

Nu metal has rap and sometimes a DJ old metal is your traditional sound of instruments and vocals.

That is correct. Like metalcore and hair metal, it's something of a pariah here. It is not well-liked on 235 or, indeed, in underground metal communities in general for that reason. Mainstream publications such as All Music Guide and even Wikipedia tend to classify it as a kind of metal, and understandably so, but Metal communities rarely acknowledge it as one of metal's many sub-genres. The reasons for this are complex and Nu Metal is a touchy subject.

The most common arguments against it are about the musical features of Nu Metal. Yes, it does feature guitar-based songs, yes the riffs are distorted, and yes the drums are heavy, but these things, metal fans argue, are common in all kinds of rock music. Nu metal is just too simplistic and structurally similar to rock music to be called a metal genre, and should, in fact, be regarded as hard rock of so the metal community thinks it should. I myself do not favor these arguments. While I agree that Nu Metal is musically dissimilar from other metal genres, but I think the stronger, more salient points are cultural and historical.

Going by today's standards, Nu Metal is slowly becoming accepted into the Metal community.