Worst and best purchases you've ever made?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8780 Posts

The worst purchase I ever made was from a Facebook ad, when I bought a monocular that supposedly see for an amazing distance. But instead it can't see very far at all.

Best purchase I ever made, I dunno. Maybe my PSPs. I've been through 3-4 PSPs. Lots of bang for your buck if you know where to find the sites. Fits in my pocket, and I can still hook it up to my TV.

How about you?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Probably my granite countertops. Got them in two different sets from the Restore (Habitat for Humanity) for a few cents a square foot.

With a little work it allowed me to fancy up my bar and kitchen on the cheap.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58392 Posts

Worst purchase is probably the 3D pri-nter I bought. I thought it would be a bit more plug-and-play but I guess there's a lot of tweaking and do-it-yourself to the hobby, so I haven't used it too much. Sort of collecting dust in my garage.

Best purchase, probably my car? I don't commute more than a couple miles (which is rare for an American) but it's a 2008 Honda and it just crossed 90,000 miles and last time I took it into the shop people were sort of amazed. Guy pointed over to the same model car another person brought in and said "That guy just got 300,000 miles!" So I guess going on 15 years and 90,000 miles, maybe I'll have this car another 15 years?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8298 Posts

Best - Bose noise canceling headphones, I've used these things non stop for 3 years from gaming, phone calls, gym/music. These things have lasted through some heavy use. And they just work, I have them connected to my PC, phone, switch, it has built in mic that works great while gaming with friends and the sound quality for music is top notch. I can't hear anything on the outside with these.

Worst- I bought THPS5 at launch, returned it that day. Most disappointing purchase of my life.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

Worst, maybe Uncharted 4. Being honest, no SW bullshit, I bought it thinking it was going to be this amazing game and instead it was fairly mediocre. One of the few games I sold immediately after finishing it.

Best, buying my diving equipment. It's like I unlocked a whole new level in my life.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

For me it was the wii u I had high hopes that the system just never got going. Still had fun but the system just didn't get a decent enough library.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Best: Real estate property

Worst: Real estate property

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mattbbpl

@one_plum: Oh yeah, that first house was a killer. It took a decade for it to work itself into positive territory.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

Worst: Elden Ring made me outright miserable. Social pressure, resulted in that I kept forcing myself to play through this, making me outright resent it. I flat out asked Steam Support to delete the game from my steam account after I finished it.

Best: My Ebike. While I use the Assistance a lot less than most, leaving it off for most of the part, but being able to take a 50 km cycling trip as if it were nothing is a godsend. Has saved me a lot of money on car related costs.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16017 Posts

Worst: a Crazy Frog album. I don't know what I was thinking.

Best: An ESV Study Bible. It's got so much wisdom in the commentary and it always teaches me something new.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#11 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6098 Posts

Best: “82” Samsung tv.

Worst: Second hand gaming chair. I think I bought it for $75 and it was worth 75 cents.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl

@Maroxad: The obstinance of the Fromsoft community in supporting any kind of accessibility features like difficulty modes is baffling.

"It's SUPPOSED to exclude people! It's a core part of the design philosophy!"

It's a status symbol mentality normally applied to high end watches and cars brought into gaming, and it's ludicrous.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Worst: Elden Ring made me outright miserable. Social pressure, resulted in that I kept forcing myself to play through this, making me outright resent it. I flat out asked Steam Support to delete the game from my steam account after I finished it.

Best: My Ebike. While I use the Assistance a lot less than most, leaving it off for most of the part, but being able to take a 50 km cycling trip as if it were nothing is a godsend. Has saved me a lot of money on car related costs.

How can you resent Elden Ring? I put almost 285 hours into that game, played through it twice and then put it away :P

Ebike might be my best practical purchase as well. My main way of getting to and home from work since summer 2019. Is also the reason why I am not looking for a car once the leasing on my current car ends.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

@mattbbpl: Yeah. Not to mention, FromSoft games are a cakewalk compared to something like Celeste which does have a healthy amount of accessibility options. Celeste's accessibility options were brilliant and even though I didn't use them, they made an already excellent game even better.

FromSoft in their insistance on not adding proper accessability options resulted in the worst form of compromise in the form of summons. Players using them will have a diminished experience because they are so overtuned that they can essentially solo bosses for you. Players not using them have a diminished experience because we keep being rewarded and disappointed with summons as rewards for clearing content. Wading through hours of trash content, only to be rewarded with stuff we will never use.

Edit:

@horgen Long story short. VERY low fun per hour. Combine a weak-mediocre combat system, with 80% of the content being uninspired copy paste and you get Elden Ring. Of the 100 hours I put in, I think I enjoyed around 10 of them. But heck yeah! Ebikes are so good. Dunno if I kept you up to date. But since obtaining that ebike, I finished my weight loss journey. Burning an extra 800 kcal per day cycling to work combined with a plant based (vegan) diet, resulted in me going from morbidly obese to reaching the ideal weight for my height.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Tried buying an electric dirt bike and gocart from Facebook for around $50 each. Figured it was China junk but didn't care. Sure enough I got 2 tracking numbers sent to my email and both were coming from China. When they finally arrived, both were sweat rags lol. Basically I bought 2 tracking numbers and false hope.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@kathaariancode: Did you not play the first 3? Hard to believe you wouldn't know what you're getting with the 4th game. To be fair, Halo infinite was my first halo experience. I expected way more from it and was disappointed.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

@joshrmeyer: It was my first Uncharted yeah.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#18 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3648 Posts

Worse: Ford Focus 07

My brother and his ex girlfriend had let me take over the payments back in 2009. My brother's ex girlfriend was driving the car coming home from work and was in an accident. Luckily she wasn't killed though injured and had two go to the hospital. The car was totaled though the car payments were only $200 plus I didn't have to pay for the car anymore. Honestly think it was for the best.

Best: Switch Lite, I always been on the fence about the Switch. The system has tons of exclusives and I like the size of the system.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

best: college education

worst: replacement bumper cover for my car off e-bay. got in accident years ago any my bumper cover ( just a big plastic body panel ) was wrecked. tried to be cheap and get one used off internet. it arrived in almost worse shape than the one i was replacing. literally shipped to me wrapped in saran wrap. dirty, scratched to shit, etc.. cost a fortune just to get it cleaned up / painted to get it in good shape to put on the car. would have been cheaper to just get a new one through proper channels.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15945 Posts

Worse: DIY foldable Lazy Chair from china. One of the worse recent products it didn't last for a week. Ok sure I bought it for $17 but I could get a better chair for cheaper. Really salty about it as I don't usually buy cheap Chinese stuff but I got baited by reviews.

Best: Good food. I love eating out and best purchases is when I eat really good foods. Other than that recently, gym membership.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Game wise, this is £2.

Expected amateurly made crap play for 30 minutes and drop. Got 20 hours out of it ignoring extra content.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/598700/The_Vagrant/

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

Best console I brought with my own money was the PS2. Had an unbelievable Library and the graphical upgrade from ps1 was huge.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#23 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3648 Posts

Worse: Xbox One, only thing I liked about it was it came with Halo Masterchief Collection. Never really played the console except updating it though my nephews used it for Minecraft. My nephews ended up getting the console which they returned it back to us.

Best: Xbox Series S

I know I said I hated the Xbox One but the Series S basically fixed everything I hated about the One with the size of the console and loading times. Able to play almost all of my digital library on the system plus Game Pass games.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

Best: Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC's (https://abyss-headphones.com/collections/abyss-headphones/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-headphone) + Woo Audio WA33 (https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/wa33)

Babies are sitting right next to me, waiting for me to put them on again tonight. ❤️

Worst: Every mobile gaming platform, probably. I don't game on mobile but I keep buying them anyway. I've probably put 50 hours on my Steam Deck. Maybe 20 hours lifetime on my OLED Switch. Similar numbers on the Nintendo handhelds that came before it and the Vita.

I probably spent more time and had more fun installing custom firmware on them than actually playing anything on them.