Would you marry someone if they made you sign a prenup OT?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

We been hearing OT about marriage discussions but never on a Prenup though. If you are going to get married will you also get a prenup? Flip side, are you willing to marry someone if they made you sign a prenup?

Me, depending on the terms, a prenup not only makes sense with a 50% divorce rate I think it actually shows two people are together because they *want to be*, not because they're afraid of the unknown consequences. I stated I won't get marry for obvious reasons, and as long as the terms are fair, I'll sigh the dotted line. Just to be clear, I'm not marrying for the money. but if we're both from the same level of pay, then probably not. Mostly because I won't ever get married, I don't see the point. but it would help with divorce moments if that ever came about, and society can sure be divorce happy from time to time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

Mine is social marriage and very satisfied.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't even agree with signing papers for marriage, much less for a prenuptial.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@davillain- said:

We been hearing OT about marriage discussions but never on a Prenup though. If you are going to get married will you also get a prenup? Flip side, are you willing to marry someone if they made you sign a prenup?

Me, depending on the terms, a prenup not only makes sense with a 50% divorce rate I think it actually shows two people are together because they *want to be*, not because they're afraid of the unknown consequences. I stated I won't get marry for obvious reasons, and as long as the terms are fair, I'll sigh the dotted line. Just to be clear, I'm not marrying for the money. but if we're both from the same level of pay, then probably not. Mostly because I won't ever get married, I don't see the point. but it would help with divorce moments if that ever came about, and society can sure be divorce happy from time to time.

Of course and also never get married without one.

Why would you with the rate of divorce as it is, not secure yourself and your future?

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

Why not? Unless you're just in it for the money?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Why would you with the rate of divorce as it is, not secure yourself and your future?

I only know few who have taken the risk without signing and they paid the price unless you know what you are doing.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@davillain-:

that's what happens to those who don't sign a prenup ...

>>MacKenzie and Jeff Bezos’ $38 billion divorce settlement becomes official this week

MacKenzie Bezos is expected to get $38 billion when she and her husband Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos’ divorce settlement goes through, according to CNN.

MacKenzie and Jeff Bezos announced their divorce back in January after being married for 25 years.

MacKenzie Bezos will receive 25 percent of the couple’s stock in Amazon, which will leave her with a total of 4 percent stake of the company. That amounts to about $38 billion in purpose.

Timeline: The settlement will likely come through this week since the couple announced back in April that there was a 90-day timeline for the settlement, according to The Associated Press.

Comment on this story

Yes, but: Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos will have an estimated net worth of $118 billion, so MacKenzie Bezos is still a long way from her husband, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Bezos will keep voting control for the company, too.

Flashback: Back in May, MacKenzie Bezos said she will give away half of her fortune to charity, which I wrote about for the Deseret News. She signed the Giving Pledge, “which encourages the world's richest people to dedicate a majority of their wealth to charitable causes, either during their lifetimes or in their wills,” according to CNN.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

Sure, maybe we can even get matching contracts?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@davillain- said:

Pretty much this.

Divorce rates are pretty high so really it's a gamble to not get one. I am not all down on marriage or making it work, but I am also a realist.

Unless, of course, I find myself a sugar momma then I might not want to sign one :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@the_master_race said:

@davillain-:

that's what happens to those who don't sign a prenup ...

>>MacKenzie and Jeff Bezos’ $38 billion divorce settlement becomes official this week

MacKenzie Bezos is expected to get $38 billion when she and her husband Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos’ divorce settlement goes through, according to CNN.

MacKenzie and Jeff Bezos announced their divorce back in January after being married for 25 years.

MacKenzie Bezos will receive 25 percent of the couple’s stock in Amazon, which will leave her with a total of 4 percent stake of the company. That amounts to about $38 billion in purpose.

Timeline: The settlement will likely come through this week since the couple announced back in April that there was a 90-day timeline for the settlement, according to The Associated Press.

Comment on this story

Yes, but: Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos will have an estimated net worth of $118 billion, so MacKenzie Bezos is still a long way from her husband, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Bezos will keep voting control for the company, too.

Flashback: Back in May, MacKenzie Bezos said she will give away half of her fortune to charity, which I wrote about for the Deseret News. She signed the Giving Pledge, “which encourages the world's richest people to dedicate a majority of their wealth to charitable causes, either during their lifetimes or in their wills,” according to CNN.

Hard to feel sorry for anyone with more than 100 million dollars, let alone more than 1 billion dollars.

That's a pretty ridiculous settlement though, I mean where do they A.) figure she needs that much, and B.) has earned that amount at all?

Would like to hear the logic behind divorce settlements. Is it simply childcare and "becoming accustomed to a standard of living"?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#11 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The idea of not signing a prenuptial agreement is based on the belief that nothing will go wrong in the future of marriage, and to be honest, that's a bit naive. I do get why people object to prenups, because they WANT to believe that this person is THE one they'll be with. Signing a prenup opens up the possibility that a divorce might happen, but that possibility is always there. It's just a smart thing to do, financially. Think of it as opting out of home insurance. Sure, your house may never burn down, but if it does, you're f**ked.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

@the_master_race: I don't think a prenup would've helped. They got married prior to the creation of Amazon.com, back when they had no money. They built it during the course of their marriage so, I think legally she's entitled to part of it. I know the laws vary from state to state, so i could be wrong.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

@the_master_race: Had to double-check--apparenty Washington is a community property state, meaning that almost all assets acquired during the course of the marriage is assumed to be jointly owned by both spouses, and is subject to division upon divorce.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

If you have alot of assets you would be moronic not to sign a prenup.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Depends on the pre-nup, but probably yes. Most of my friends have pre-nups that keep their assets going in, but divide them equally going forward. after the marriage.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Prenuptial Agreements are not recognised in the vast majority of countries. Its actually a awful way to begin a marriage.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I wouldn't get married without a prenup lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator

@the_master_race: Wow. Never consider having a prenup is the best thing to have if you are rich. Yeah, I better start taking notes on this type of stuff.

@evil_loli said:

but that's exactly how that wo.......oh! That's the joke lol.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I'd probably be the one asking for some sort of prenup. While it makes sense for some things to have joint ownership in a marriage, I firmly believe that what I earn and buy with that money is mine.

BaelNergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BaelNergal
Member since 2019 • 570 Posts

I came up with one once, but it was vetoed by a judge.

Apparently, any prenup that has some extremely strange clauses and that, if not executed exactly, will result in the United States being at war with half of Europe and South America is not legally acceptable. Especially if both participants are citizens only of the United States and hold no position of power outside it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I don't have much to offer besides my love, so if she's got something that's worth signing a prenup for I wouldn't care.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#22 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Nah.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

If I was rich or wealthy, then yes.

If my wealth built around her, then it wouldn't be necessarily fair if we both started at the same income bracket.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

@davillain- said:

@the_master_race: Wow. Never consider having a prenup is the best thing to have if you are rich. Yeah, I better start taking notes on this type of stuff.

@evil_loli said:

but that's exactly how that wo.......oh! That's the joke lol.