Would you rather watch the Xmen movies of the Disney MCU movies?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Would you rather watch the Xmen movies of the Disney MCU movies? (19 votes)

MCU 53%
Xmen 47%

This is a thread of a thing I was thinking about for 10 minutes today.

Of those two series (no edgy "neither" option) which would you rather go back and watch? Feel free to explain your reasoning and stuff.

For me it's the Xmen movies, they are more up and down, and have an almost TV like quality, but I find I care more about what is going on and the acting is better.

• 
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

Honestly I'm burned out on superhero movies. Haven't watched any of the last few or TV series either.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

MCU for me. While I certainly enjoyed the X-Men movies the MCU ones up until Infinity War were fantastic.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts

MCU. The first three X-Men movies are not very good, but they came on the heals of Batman and Robin. It was a step up, even if a small one. First Class, DoFP, and Logan are the only ones I would call legit good.

MCU is stumbling right now, but for 10 years they managed to make 20 movies that were consistently good, occasionally great.

And just to remind people of my shitty taste in everything, I'll take the five Disney Star Wars movies over all the Marvel shit. I appreciate that each one actually feels like it was made by the director that made it, as opposed to coming off an assembly line like Marvel (except Logan).

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50610 Posts

The latest from both have sucked for some years, minus the latest Galaxy.

Overall MCU is better though.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

MCU, despite the recent plummet in quality

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts
@judaspete said:

MCU. The first three X-Men movies are not very good, but they came on the heals of Batman and Robin. It was a step up, even if a small one. First Class, DoFP, and Logan are the only ones I would call legit good.

MCU is stumbling right now, but for 10 years they managed to make 20 movies that were consistently good, occasionally great.

And just to remind people of my shitty taste in everything, I'll take the five Disney Star Wars movies over all the Marvel shit. I appreciate that each one actually feels like it was made by the director that made it, as opposed to coming off an assembly line like Marvel (except Logan).

Xmen 2 isn't good? Can't say agree with that at all. Top 3. Maybe the best.

DOFP put top if it wasn't for Jennifer Lawrence who's just, absolutely terrible as Mystique. She's unfortunately the main crux of the movie.

Logan I like, but, it doesn't really feel like an Xmen movie to me.

But Xmen 2 is such a big step up from Xmen it's not even funny. Makes it feel like a prototype in comparison.

One thing I also appreciate about it is it's liberal use of CGI. Alot of the MCU movies feel like i'm watching a Playstation movie.

Loading Video...

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

I'd go with X-men, and I'd just watch Logan and the Deadpool movies. I'd assume Deadpool counts seeing as it's got X-men in it and he was in X-force. I like blood and gore in movies so they fit the bill for me.

The MCU movies are too similar, they're fluffed out and too long, and there's like 30 of them. Plus, the one liner jokes every 5 minutes really irritate me.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts

@uninspiredcup: X2 was better, but I still never liked it as much as everyone else. Never quite got the hate for 3 either. Sure, it wasn't as good as 2, but didn't feel like a big step down to me. Like a 2 star movie vs 2 1/2 stars.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

I don't hate the X-Men movies but they are a far cry from being as entertaining and as quality as the MCU films are.

I do love many things about the X-Men movies, so this preference isn't really an indictment against the X-Men films, it's just I can and do rewatch many of the MCU films and I have maybe rewatched the X-Men movies an average of two times.

I also don't think any of the MCU movies are outright garbage. Some might be mediocre and some might have missed the mark or not been what they should have been, but none of them are terrible.

However, one or two of the X-Men movies have been real stinkers.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

i like old Xmen movies more.

i only like marvel pre disney for the most part, Blade is still my favorite marvel movie, and toby maguire spiderman

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup

@judaspete said:

@uninspiredcup: X2 was better, but I still never liked it as much as everyone else. Never quite got the hate for 3 either. Sure, it wasn't as good as 2, but didn't feel like a big step down to me. Like a 2 star movie vs 2 1/2 stars.

3 I'd still watch over basically any MCU movie.

It's interesting in the sense it's almost GOT like in nature. Half the cast is killed off (with a hint of Magneeto getting his powers back in the final scene).

It also differs in that compared to 1/2 it's the first that feels like it has a sense of scale to it than a TV episode. As much as I praise 2, it does feel more at times like you're watching a TV episode of something than a movie.

Xmen: First Class is basically, more or less, a remake of the first Xmen improved. But it also has a heavy sense of "people in cosplay" than a big budget movie.

DOFP ticks all the boxes. But, Jennifer Lawrence

The original movies suffer from the "Wolverine and friends" problem where it's basically all about him, because he's the one people know and love best.

By that point Jennifer Lawrence became a star so, she has to be the main focus. And she's fucking, terrible. Rebecca Romijn-Stamos wasn't the focus, and she barely had any lines. But she was convincing as a femme fatale. Jennifer Lawrence walks around like a blue smurf reading lines like she doesn't know what is going on.

But outside of that, top notch movie.

Others eh. Dark Phoenix was a whimpering end. And the GOT girl playing her, was fucking terrible as well. Like a cardboard box trying to emote.

But yea, bla bla, disagree completely on Xmen 2. Think it's generally a really well written movie as well with interesting character dynamics.

This will get rebooted, ofc.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I quite liked the original X-Men trilogy. Think they did a great job with casting. Also simpler times back then and those movies had a soul. Didn't care about the reboot movies (First Class, etc.) though DOFP was great.

But I will give the edge to the MCU, until Endgame at least. They did an amazing job bringing such an expansive roster of Marvel characters to the big screen. After Endgame though the MCU has been in a sad state with the exception of Spiderman and Guardians 3.

If the question is which I would go back to watch then definitely X-Men. I miss those movies (and times), the Raimi Spiderman trilogy even more so. I wouldn't rewatch any of the MCU stuff (even the good ones).

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

I still like watching Blade lol.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

X-Men because I've seen them less. I remember them to be pretty terrible, but they can't be worse than MCU movies. I'd rather not watch any of these.

Keaton Batman and Tobey Spidey are actually good, rather watch those.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

MCU is handling stuff better than DC and the X universe

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10494 Posts

not seen many xmen movies, so mcu by default. there's a handful of them i think are really good, infinity war being the best

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#18 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Disney MCU by far. I'll always like X-Men 1 and 2, even though the Director's a creep, and DOFP. But otherwise... not too great, otherwise.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

MCU by far. I loved the X-Men cartoon, yet found the movies quite boring. On the flip side, I never cared for The Avengers before (except Hulk), yet ended up loving the MCU movies.

It's easy to punch the MCU when it's down. But in its prime years, 2012-2019, it was the best superhero franchise. But after Endgame, Disney dropped the ball. They have no clue what they're doing now, so the MCU has become a sinking ship. Sony made the right call ejecting Spider-Man from the MCU, as the Spidey movies are the only good Marvel movies left now.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

@AcidTango said:

I still like watching Blade lol.

It's the best marvel movie

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

X-Men any day of the week over MCU...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

@gns said:

X-Men any day of the week over MCU...

One thing like about Dark Phoenix even though it's a meh movie (GOT girl terrible), is the series effectively ends with Charles Xavier and Magneto swapping roles, with him now setting up a sanctuary and Charles Xavier dissalutioned.

Regardless of the quality of the movie it's a nice capper.

Loading Video...

-

When they brought up Picard to snap his neck brutally it was far lamer than anything in this movie lol

WTF. That's how the MCU ends the character?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2463 Posts

Watched four of the movies while I was away, a couple of months ago.

X-Men (2000)

After watching almost two seasons of X-Men and getting to know the characters, I wanted to revisit this movie. I am much older now.

Loading Video...

David Hayter did okay. I wish this wasn't an origin story for Wolverine and Rogue, but Hayter probably had no choice in following the Hollywood formula for movies like this. Probably also why Magneto's plan had to be so absurd. The studio's priority is raising the stakes as high as possible, no matter how dumb the manner.

The cartoon fights have good one-liners like "Needs salt" after someone tells Wolverine to taste floor. None of that here. Lame self-deprication as Cyclops asks Wolverine what he expected in a suit, yellow spandex? Who is he talking to? Is there someone behind Wolverine?

The cartoon, the cheaply animated freaking cartoon, has more weight in its fights than this. They just float around like they are on the moon.

The senator's eyes glowing at the end on the TV is insulting. All the X-Men needed to say was "Mystique" when they saw him in the news, because they knew her power and saw the senator die. But the creators had to make it more obvious to the audience by making her eyes glow, which would make her whole attempt at impersonating him a failure.

Always thought Hugh Jackman's hair was stupid. That devil shape. Definitely stupider than just translating the hood he wears to live action. Jackman just isn't what I picture in Wolverine, and it's not even the height. Almost none of the characters are what I would picture. Ian McKellen as Magneto? He should be a shad without his helmet.

Not bad. Not as exciting as it should be. They should have gone in a weirder direction with it, because the things that are there (especially as the children use their powers in the school) are more cringey by virtue of being in a world that's mostly normal.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Warm_Gun

X2 was okay. Didn't do enough to expand the hero roster, which was already small and not varied, and which hurt the third and last movie. Once again, not as exciting as it should have been.

X-Men: The Last Stand was poor. Bored, I paused the movie to get some food and move around a bit and was surprised to see that there were only 32 minutes left, minus six to eight minutes of end credits. I couldn't believe they had done so little with this world and that this movie which had lacked any peaks would conclude shortly. The movie does peak after that, in how generic it is.

The blue wise one Beast (but without that name) is featured heavily, working in the deep state, and treated by the X-Men as if he has been one of them for a long time. I wasn't sure if he would fight, and when he did it was weird because of how he was introduced. Rogue is replaced by Ellen Page, in her blandest role that I have ever seen. (Man, forgot how small she is.) Problem with Rogue was that she was too limited. In the cartoon she could fly because she fed on Ms. Marvel. In this trilogy she can only hurt people by touching them. Of course she can use their powers, but that seldom happens. I'm sure she had superhuman strength, but can't remember when she used it. Her character was at least sympathetic, though. By the time she and her boyfriend Bobby were no longer treated as children (once again going back to how much was wasted by making the first movie an origin story for Wolverine and her, meaning their lives before the X-Men), she was already pretty much out. Halle Berry as Storm drops her African accent in the second movie and has her arm-spanning cape replaced by a regular cape, then in the third movie she gets a stupid haircut. Jubilee was briefly shown and called by name towards the end of X2, but forgotten about in the third movie.

I should probably stop being such a hoarder and delete these movies. Viewed together, they are too frustrating and miss too much potential. Don't even have any cool/sexy costumes.

This was based on the Dark Phoenix story from the comics. I don't know the comics. But, coincidentally, my next five episodes of X-Men are called The Phoenix Saga. I'm sure it will be more fun than this.

Oh, was also disappointed when it turned out that their fight against the giant robot (sentinel?) in the opening was just a simulation. Like I said about the first movie, they should have gone in a weirder direction with it.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Warm_Gun

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

I went all these years ignoring superhero movies so much that I did not know Peter Dinklage, Jennifer Lawrence, Ellen Page and Michael Fassbender ever starred in them (They are all in Days of Future Past.), only very rarely watching a modern one, and this movie puts me back to feeling like an outsider wondering how people can consume so many of them, denying and plain lying when you point out to them that most of the big budget classics we love never could be greenlit in the current Hollywood structure and that there really is a lack of variety around the tentpoles that take up so much of the studios' yearly budgets. Or they act like it's your fault for not seeking out the low budget and foreign movies, as if that's assumed and as if there is some negative in wanting big movies in that diet as well. The exceedingly high praise of this movie is bizarre. It's overly serious, unconvincing and largely rather dull.

The producers:

We could make the past the present (Have someone from the future come to the present to prevent an event that will cause the war.), but let's instead set the film in the 1970s to build the film's world from events of that time and comfort viewers with nostalgia.

Wolverine did not have his adamantium yet? Doesn't matter, we'll do it anyway. The white bones will come out of his knuckles as if from instinct or something.

We can't find any younger actors who resemble Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen in looks or tone? Doesn't matter, we'll do it anyway.

The robots (sentinels) we wanna use are many decades ahead of the military technology in the 1970s, even far exceeding the tech of the 2000s that we already established with three movies? Doesn't matter, we'll do it anyway.

We'll have Ellen Page's character send Wolverine's mind back in time, inhabiting his body from the past, and he will be able to alter the future, somehow. What were her powers again? Doesn't matter, we'll do it anyway.

With all the insanity they planned to put on the screen the filmmakers must have believed that viewers wouldn't think about it. Just as the Jedi from Star Wars became more boring with the power exhibited in the expanded universe, prequels, sequels, video games and spinoffs, Magneto moving the Golden Gate Bridge (Last Stand) and a huge stadium and invading the sentinels' intricate systems without actually seeing them through the walls of the train car as if from photographic memory of the blueprints he saw earlier is too much for me. The curving bullet was kind of cool, before you realize that it implies that he can think at 1000 feet per second. Didn't like the lightning fast guy either. "Don't want you to get whiplash," lol. The cinematic X-Men isn't cartoon enough for this.

Storm's (Halle Berry) haircut downgrade in Last Stand is shortened again to one pretty much like a boy's. It stands, but not in a freaky way like Gozer from Ghostbusters. It's more boring than that. Jennifer Lawrence replaces Rebecca Romijn. Not gonna talk about her looks, but I will say that Romijn's makeup was more convincing because they weren't as afraid of the female form. For one, it sculpted more around her breasts, making her look almost naked and thereby more like a creature, whereas the new design looks much more like a bodysuit.

Their Richard Nixon imitation was bad. If I never saw Richard Nixon in my life, the makeup would still look very strange to me. The previous movies had fictional presidents, for obvious reasons. This one would have too if they had made the past the present, like in the animated series' Days of Future Past and, I would assume, the comic book version.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Warm_Gun

Disappointed. Will never watch any of them again.