10 Years since AMD took the graphics crown? What AMD needs to do better going into 2024+?

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

Poll 10 Years since AMD took the graphics crown? What AMD needs to do better going into 2024+? (8 votes)

Maintain or improve lead on Rasterization. 0%
Improve Ray Tracing performance. 38%
Improve FSR 3 with better image quality, Frame Generation and use of AI/ML and other features. 63%
Better price in the product stack from top to bottom. 0%

It was in 2013 that AMD released the R9 290X that took the graphics crown from NVIDA. It beat the original Titan at half the price. Which was amazing. Over the past 7 years AMD hasn’t been competitive in the high end. While it has done good in the mid end with the RX 580 doing good agains the GTX 1060 6GB. RX 5700 XT being competitive with RTX 2070. And 7700XT and 7800 XT doing an excellent against the RTX 4070 and RTX 4060. It really hasn’t beat NVIDIA since the Hawaii GPU released back in 2013. It was more of a draw with HD 6900 XT where it beat the RTX 3090 but got trashed with Ray Tracing enabled.

Ironically my last AMD GPU was the R9 390X (which was essentially slightly better R9 290X with 8 GB of memory).

Apparently it still can play some games in 2023 at 1080P depending on the settings which is insane.

I switched to NVIDA with GTX 1060 6GB in 2017 and then getting the RTX 3090 because want to game at 4K with Ray Tracing 2021. So, I have been away from AMD (other than CPUs) from over half a decade now.

But I would like to have a more competitive gaming in the high end. I was hoping that intel would inject some competition but ARC A770 is a JOKE.

Last data with discrete GPU market shows AMD with 17% market share in Q2 2023 with intel with 2% and NVIDIA 80% market share which is insane. This is basically what they were back in Q2 2015 when they had the mediocre R9 Fury series. In other words they were they same as they were back in 2015! No progress in 8 years.

So, what does AMD need to get back into at least 33% market share which they were for the most part through the 2000’s and early 2010. I think highest they had was like 38% back in 2014 after the R9 290X and the boom in Bitcoin mining. They haven’t reached that share in 10 years now!

In my opinion AMD is killing it in Rasterization but they really need to improve Ray Tracing performance which goes hand in had with having features like FSR 3 with frame generation with excellent picture quality. They need to use ML/AI to improve the image quality like NVIDIA does with DLSS 2/3.5. Yes they get close to picture quality at 4K with Ray Tracing and FSR 3 but below that NVIDIA has a significant advantage. I am not saying not to get AMD I will recommend AMD with GPUs like the RX 7800 XT which I think is a better buy but what not necessarily in the high end.

So, what do you guys think?

• 
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

They need to improve the machine learning features. Rasterization is great, but has limits to what devs can reasonable accomplish in a given power budget. I want to see them match nvidia in this area.

Seems like they could improve their drivers too. I grabbed a used 6800 xt recently because I didn't want to jump into nvidia's 4xxx cards late into the generation with the prices still as stupid as they are. Been pretty happy with it, aside from some system stability issues (used card, sample size of one, so who knows).

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#2  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

They need to improve the machine learning features. Rasterization is great, but has limits to what devs can reasonable accomplish in a given power budget. I want to see them match nvidia in this area.

Seems like they could improve their drivers too. I grabbed a used 6800 xt recently because I didn't want to jump into nvidia's 4xxx cards late into the generation with the prices still as stupid as they are. Been pretty happy with it, aside from some system stability issues (used card, sample size of one, so who knows).

6800 XT is a great choice! Great bang for the buck in the mid-end.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I don't have faith in them retaking the crown like the 7970 last did. They can still make a competitive product and pricing though. I like it for what it is and I can undevolt them to mitigate power draw. Intel did alright for their first try, a random Chinese company tried to make a card that only performed to GTX 780 levels which goes to show you how hard it can be to make a GPU.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

what they need to do is make good enough, and i do mean that, focus on removing 8gb vram from the stack 10gb+ at least with good memory bus width, at a good price, especially that 400 dollar price tag like the 6700xt is now, if you put like the 7700XT with 16gb at 400 dollars whooo nvidias bacon would be greased something fierce.

trying to fight nvidia for the 99%th percentile is no longer relevant, thats a pointless horse to chase, nvidia will simply do it and theres no catching them but those are also the only 4000 series that really have sold well, 4060's pop up because of prebuilts mainly or a lack of available 3060's still on the shelf where someone is geographically situated. but between there is a gulf that the consumer has avoided because none of it is appealing.

the 8800gt back in the day sold like crazy, so much so they basically released the same card twice (9800gt) and THAT sold like crazy too, amd needs that. it needs a product that sits in the center of the stack that everyone is willing to pony up too, "good enough" for most things, with the vram for 2k gaming and the preformance needed to play games without a fuss at like medium and high at 60fps. if you can hit that mark dead on at a reasonable price. you will sell and sell, and sell, and AIC's will roll in doubloons, we are in a time of pc gaming boom, AMD needs to capitalize now before the bust.

if you do that there is no.. 5090 nvidia can make that will counter that, yes, crypto bros are rich and ai bros too, but what they are is elite, they are few in number the bulk of the consumer has always been the mid and low end, and if you can make that segment profitable and successful, there really is no catching you