360mm vs 420mm Rad only 1% diff in Performance?

cyprusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cyprusx
Member since 2015 • 35 Posts

im trying to decided between these two Radiator sizes (Liquid Freezer III) but CPU performance wise its only 1% difference but limits you greatly for case choice. Is this true i thought the difference would be greater for the i9-14900K

according to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDB3ZBHh5Rk&t=523s&ab_channel=HardwareCanucks

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

I imagine there's a point of diminishing return and 420 is probably far, far beyond it. Hell, they make 120mm radiators that do a decent job cooling iirc, 360 is probably fine.

Maybe if you were doing some big custom loop with CPU and GPU and some other component/s you might actually use the 420mm.

cyprusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cyprusx

@mrbojangles25: Im doing heavy video editing with premier pro.

Does anyone know any cool 420mm Rad cases that can have the hose not at the top front mounted? I heard it can cause bubble noises if the hose is at the top?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17832 Posts

@cyprusx: Bubbles are caused by having the highest point of your radiator lower than your CPU. The hose location does not matter. So, just make sure you have your radiator higher than your CPU.

cyprusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cyprusx

@BassMan:

according to these 2 Tech videos you can still get noise if the rad if its above the cpu but its still performs well, unless i misunderstood. I'm not talking about performance of the cooler only the noise issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk&ab_channel=GamersNexus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwA7ygTJn0&t=361s&ab_channel=JayzTwoCents

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
@cyprusx said:

@BassMan:

according to these 2 Tech videos you can still get noise if the rad if its above the cpu but its still performs well, unless i misunderstood. I'm not talking about performance of the cooler only the noise issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk&ab_channel=GamersNexus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwA7ygTJn0&t=361s&ab_channel=JayzTwoCents

The slightly higher noise output is caused from fan placement from the rad in the case. But the reason why you are not seeing a real difference between a 360mm vs 420mm rad is that your heat input is not exceeding the cooling potential of neither one.

The only way you would notice the cooling performance between the two is if you had more heat into the loop saturating the aio's. Also another issue is the design of newer cpu's with their cores being smaller concentrating heat into an area of the heat spreader not transferring the heat as efficiently as cores with a larger surface area.

So grab the aio that has the better warranty and or cheaper.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@BassMan said:

@cyprusx: Bubbles are caused by having the highest point of your radiator lower than your CPU. The hose location does not matter. So, just make sure you have your radiator higher than your CPU.

Wut?

I did not have any problems with bubble noise when I used a radiator that had 4x230mm fans.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BassMan

@horgen: Then you didn't have the pump as the high point in the loop. Which is what causes the problem.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@BassMan said:

@horgen: Then you didn't have the pump as the high point in the loop. Which is what causes the problem.

Which isn't what you said... Pump is always just below the reservoir.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BassMan

@horgen: The guy is talking about an AIO for his CPU. Everything I said makes sense. He even posted videos confirming what I said.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@cyprusx: RAD size doesn't mean much - it's all about the quality and quantity of fans installed.

You can have simple 120MM AIO installed, just install 2 Noctua fans to it and you're good to go.