Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

This isn't something I see documented too often online, and I've lived through all these eras.

If anyone else can relate, how would you best describe the transition between the three?

I'd say early HDR was an overexposed bloom effect that often distracted from the artistic vision (Half-Life 2 looked more natural at launch before it's inclusion, and its implementation in Oblivion made stone pitch white.)

Modern HDR is a different beast entirely, and with a capable display, and correctly tuned settings, it's almost like you're looking through a window than a non-CRT flat panel.

Over time, HDR as we knew it replaced it's original definition, similar to how "literally" and "figuratively" now share the same space in Webster's dictionary.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

early hdr....

kid or adult... hdr over 100 years old...

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zuon

@firedrakes: In the world of reality, of course it is. Life is not a home computer screen or CGI.

But perhaps I'm not understanding and you know something I don't. Would you care to explain?

That's not sarcasm by the way. If there is something in history I don't know, I find this stuff rather fascinating.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zuon

@girlusocrazy: Then would you say the implementations I mentioned in HL2 and TESIV were just poorly adjusted by the developers? In Half-Life 2's case, it was developed with only Bloom in mind, so I could understand that, but I believe Oblivion had HDR as an option at launch.

Or am I wrong about the old/new HDR options being different technologies, and I was making a mistake playing those games in 2007 on an SDR panel?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

There are 3 different HDR...

1) HDR used in photography which combines multiple exposure levels to add details and create a stylized photo.

2) Half-Life 2 style HDR which was fake and tried to create specular highlights and was often over exposed and used bloom.

3) The real HDR that we see today that truly uses the high dynamic range to improves colours, detail and contrast in the image.

uthankran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By uthankran
Member since 2023 • 2 Posts

HDR just seems so overblown to me. I think I'm preferring bloom. This is my first play through on PC and I am just using the bethini mod ultra settings.

https://vlc.onl/

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#9 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Good question. The answer would be what we have today with our modern HDR TVs and monitors and games attuned to that. You are right Half-Life 2 was the one that looked natural back in the day.

I remember playing Far Cry back in the day with the HDR patch and it looked amazing in certain areas. Like at night with the moon light bouncing off. However, certain areas there were over exposure like towards the latter parts of the levels in the Labs where there was blue light it was way off with light getting brighter and brighter as you move then dimming down based on your location.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2453 Posts

HDR (Dolby Vision) is insanely good my my LG G3.

So I guess that's exciting for......me. And no one else.

Good night!