HDMI to TV and Optical from TV to receiver

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wintry_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Wintry_Dreams
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Is it possible?
I have two HDMI ports on my television, so it would be nice to be able to connect my satellite box, as well as a PS3 to the TV, and then just run an optical cable from the television to the reciever and still have a second optical port on the receiver for my X360. The problem is the settings in the respective appliances and whether it would still be possible to get true 5.1 output out of a PS3 even though there isn't an optical cable running directly from the PS3 system to the audio receiver.
If not, are there any alternatives without having to plug in/unplug any wires?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts
Is it possible?
I have two HDMI ports on my television, so it would be nice to be able to connect my satellite box, as well as a PS3 to the TV, and then just run an optical cable from the television to the reciever and still have a second optical port on the receiver for my X360.
If not, are there any alternatives without having to plug in/unplug any wires?

Wintry_Dreams
Sounds like your outta inputs. Nothin' you can do except by a system selector with digital audio switcher. They are quite expensive though, about $200. Your better off buying a new receiver with more inputs.
kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
the ps3s HDMI cable will carry the digital audio signal, you're good to go. you wouldn't notice a difference between connecting through your tv or directly.
Bird125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bird125
Member since 2003 • 59 Posts

Check your satelite box.

Most of the newer ones have DVI and optical audio. Especially the HD boxes.

Run the DVI to the HDMI with a DVI/HDMI cable

Run the optical audio to your receiver.

kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
hmm, nobody seems to be actually reading what you wrote....
Wintry_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wintry_Dreams
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
the ps3s HDMI cable will carry the digital audio signal, you're good to go. you wouldn't notice a difference between connecting through your tv or directly.kidkit

So changing the settings in the PS3 menu from a Stereo Output (or whatever the default configuration is) to 5.1 won't stop sound from going through the HDMI to the television? (I ask because I plan on purchasing a PS3, and would like to know what to expect.)
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts
hmm, nobody seems to be actually reading what you wrote....kidkit
Yeah, Didn't read it right!
[QUOTE="kidkit"]the ps3s HDMI cable will carry the digital audio signal, you're good to go. you wouldn't notice a difference between connecting through your tv or directly.Wintry_Dreams

So changing the settings in the PS3 menu from a Stereo Output (or whatever the default configuration is) to 5.1 won't stop sound from going through the HDMI to the television? (I ask because I plan on purchasing a PS3, and would like to know what to expect.)

With digital connections the signal that travels through the cable can't be altered. Yeah, If you hook the PS3 and the satallite up through HDMI and run the optical cable from the TV to the reciever you will get 5.1 channel sound! You will also still have that extra optical port for the 360 available on your reciever. That is the whole reason the TV has a Optical out in the first place; so you can get 5.1 surround sound from your HDMI equipment.