High refresh rate = blurry?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LonerBoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LonerBoner
Member since 2003 • 276 Posts

Even though my monitor is capable of doing well over 60hz, the screen gets blurry when it set it to anything above 60. Smaller text is especially painful to read. This happens on any monitor I use. How do I adjust the focus so the image is sharp again? This is ridiculous.

Zarchon31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Zarchon31
Member since 2005 • 44 Posts
try the convergence option on your monitor. higher Hz shouldn't blur the screen but make it easier to focus and less headaches. it increases the fps. hope this helps
LonerBoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LonerBoner
what is convergence? What are you talking about?
Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jiggly_Wiggly
Member since 2006 • 1912 Posts
If you are on a lcd monitor do not worry , as they actually refresh at 200 hz, they just give a random number to the video card.
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
60 isnt good at all...
armenti8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 armenti8
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts

If you are on a lcd monitor do not worry , as they actually refresh at 200 hz, they just give a random number to the video card.Jiggly_Wiggly

my lcd in dvi at 75hz produces smoother cursor movement than it does at 60Hz.

it's definitely not just a random number.

r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
my old dell 1025tm would refresh on 85hz 1024x758
Avatar image for TheLiberalTruth
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheLiberalTruth
Member since 2005 • 3151 Posts
If you are on a lcd monitor do not worry , as they actually refresh at 200 hz, they just give a random number to the video card.Jiggly_Wiggly
Why even make stupid crap like that up. When you set an LCD to X Hz, it's going to refresh X times per second. It's no random number.
Avatar image for TheLiberalTruth
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheLiberalTruth
Member since 2005 • 3151 Posts
try the convergence option on your monitor. higher Hz shouldn't blur the screen but make it easier to focus and less headaches. it increases the fps. hope this helpsZarchon31
You mean spread spectrum? It helps to reduce the (EM?) interference.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

[QUOTE="Jiggly_Wiggly"]If you are on a lcd monitor do not worry , as they actually refresh at 200 hz, they just give a random number to the video card.TheLiberalTruth
Why even make stupid crap like that up. When you set an LCD to X Hz, it's going to refresh X times per second. It's no random number.

Actually, a LCD doesn't refresh X times per second. The refresh rate is needed to synchronize with the video card which needs a refresh rate. The refresh rate is the number of times the video card sends an image to the monitor. Setting a higher refresh rate won't speed up the monitor but can reduce input lag.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="TheLiberalTruth"][QUOTE="Jiggly_Wiggly"]If you are on a lcd monitor do not worry , as they actually refresh at 200 hz, they just give a random number to the video card.Gog

Actually, a LCD doesn't refresh X times per second. The refresh rate is needed to synchronize with the video card which needs a refresh rate. The refresh rate is the number of times the video card sends an image to the monitor. Setting a higher refresh rate won't speed up the monitor but can reduce input lag.

This is correct. Refresh doesn't really apply at all in terms of how an LCD generates an image because the pixels are persistently illuminated until they are told to change, whereas a CRT type display constantly has to "refresh" the image (60hz = 60 times per second) or the image will instantly fade.

To the OP: What kind of monitor do you have (Make/Model, or at the very least what -type- of display technology)?

-Byshop

LonerBoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LonerBoner

60 isnt good at all...ncderek

Maybe not. But it isn't worth increasing the refresh rate if the image on screen isn't sharp and crisp anymore. Care to tell me how I might adjust that? SO I can run at 85hz painlessly?

To the OP: What kind of monitor do you have (Make/Model, or at the very least what -type- of display technology)?
-Byshop

Byshop

19" CRT, CTX EX951F

Bought it right here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824103203

Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jiggly_Wiggly

[QUOTE="TheLiberalTruth"][QUOTE="Jiggly_Wiggly"]If you are on a lcd monitor do not worry , as they actually refresh at 200 hz, they just give a random number to the video card.Gog

I know its not a random number, Dunno why I said that, and how exactly does that effect input lag? I know changing lcd's refresh rate wont make any significant different if your response time is good, because input lag is like the delay as well, err I don't fully understand it, someone care to explain?
LonerBoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LonerBoner
And save all this talk about LCDs for another thread. Right now I have a problem I'm trying to deal with.
Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jiggly_Wiggly
Oh yeahs orry bout that, err, Does it do the same thing at lower resolutitions? IT could be a bad monitor I doubt it but most crt's can refresh at that resolution at 85hz. Yours claims it can run at 75hz, at 1600x1200, so It could be a bad cable, try replacing it and yeah...
LonerBoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LonerBoner

Oh yeahs orry bout that, err, Does it do the same thing at lower resolutitions?...Jiggly_Wiggly

I get a nasty blur when attempting to run at certain resolutions. Often it isn't noticable in windows, but in games. For this monitor, I get blurring at any resolution other than 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, and 1280 x 1024

But every monitor will produce some blurring when attempting to run it at certain resolution that it wasn't ideally made for. Thats normal, right?

But about this refresh rate thing, its always been going on. Since before I had this particular monitor. I've been seeing it on my old 17 inch CRT (Viewsonic A75F) and my old 15 inch LCD (NEC Multisync 1525v? I think thats what it was). I don't believe its monitor-specific.

When I had my geforce 3 Ti 200 (2002?) the screen would blur at any refresh rate above 60hz

When I had my geforce 4 ti 4200 (2003-2004) the screen would blur at 60hz, but it would be sharp and crisp at 75hz (the maximum my 15 inch LCD I had would go up to)

When I got my geforce 6800, again, anything above 60hz will cause blurring.

So unless Geforce 6800s are dodgy cards, I'm pissed right now. I don't intend to be stuck choosing between 60hz or annoyingly blurry display into my next system build and beyond. I intend to get to the bottom of this.