How does this laptop compare to PS5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I just ordered this laptop and was wondering how it compares to PS5. I decided to go the PC route this gen and skip consoles. Here's the specs...

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H processor Octa-core 3.20 GHz

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 with 6 GB dedicated memory

15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 144 Hz

16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM

512 GB SSD

Thanks for any input 🙂

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Should be fine for 1080p, but don't expect it to max graphics in 5-7 years from now, but you should be able to run most games at medium at that time period, I've managed to game on GTX970 even at these times, depends on the games you play. I think medium graphics on PC are the console settings anyway so fine by me.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

How much did it cost you? Also, some of that SSD will likely already be taken up, same as the PS5.

Congrats, btw.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@shellcase86: $1100 on sale from the Acer store right now. Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

Edit: I'll add in more memory if I need it. I guess it's upgradable from what I read.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoshRMeyer

@girlusocrazy: Its a 1080p screen so that's all I'll be gaming at. Seems a little silly to game at anything higher than that on a 15" screen. Yes it was much more expensive than a console, but I'm getting a 144hz screen with it. It's also not just for gaming but photo editing (photoshop) and some video editing. 6GB of dedicated video RAM is low? I thought that was a decent amount. It's also got 16 GB of dual channel RAM if needed. At least I think that's how that works. Thanks for the input.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoshRMeyer

@gerygo: In 5-7 years I'll probably be looking at a new one, but either way I'll be ok with low settings. I hate to say this, but Roblox will be getting the most play time and that doesn't require much of anything. I was just curious if I was gonna get anything close to PS5 graphics, even just at 1080p. Thanks for input

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

From what I understand, PS5 and a desktop 3060 are fairly equivalent. Since you have the laptop variant, it will probably be not quite as powerful but still in the same ballpark. The nosebleed section of the ballpark, but you're still in the game. If you're fine with 1080p, that thing will last a while.

Not like I can talk shit while gameing on a 1650 :)

Edit: Okay, the 3060 laptop variant is actually quite a bit less powerful than the desktop one. Still say you will get good mileage out of this rig at 1080p, but it's probably more on par with XBoneX than PS5.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@joshrmeyer: To each their own, I think a 120Hz big screen is good for me. I have 15" gaming laptops too and it feels cramped even compared to my monitor, but there's video out on a laptop so there are still options

For video RAM games are already going to 12GB for Ultra, 8GB+ for high, and less for medium settings. They're releasing a 12GB 2060 to address this. Using High/Ultra will result in a lot of swapping from main RAM so you won't be taking advantage of 144Hz much with that setup unless the assets take a hit. If Medium at 1080p looks good for you then you'll be happy, but I expect 8GB will become the new Medium. I'm not sure how fast with chip shortages though.

Usage and allocation are completely different things. Wondering if you are considering that, watched a RTX 3070 vid today, most games are still within its 8GB, although I would only recommend 8GB for people who upgrade every year. HZD goes way past 8GB, so yeah, future games are sure to use more.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@gerygo: In 5-7 years I'll probably be looking at a new one, but either way I'll be ok with low settings. I hate to say this, but Roblox will be getting the most play time and that doesn't require much of anything. I was just curious if I was gonna get anything close to PS5 graphics, even just at 1080p. Thanks for input

It's an overkill for that game, It's like buying a Ferrari to drive at 30mph in town to get groceries.

I seriously plead you to use it on modern games - you'll be throwing a huge potential out of the window otherwise.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoshRMeyer

@gerygo: I will. I'm gonna try out gamepass. And I might buy Horizon ZD to replay it at a higher fps if it's cheap enough.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

It's a decent laptop, but that 6GB VRAM is just baffling. That is too little for next-gen gaming. As others mentioned, the 3060 is not as powerful as the desktop version. This should be a decent laptop for 1080p-1440p gaming while having to lower textures and other settings on some games. The PS5 is better suited for next-gen gaming in terms of specs, but it does not give you the flexibility that the laptop does.

hedarosan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 hedarosan
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

Most I can spend is 2k USD once I get it I want decent battery life I don't understand all these specs and preformance stuff that's why I'm asking I'd like to run Ark 2 and FF7 Remake at most and maybe be comparable to the PS5.