Total Annihilation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

itbobcars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 itbobcars
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts
Total Annihilation i know nothing about the game other then its the one rts that started it all so does anyone know if you can play Total Annihilation on windows XP?  also is there base building?
Neon_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Neon_Tool
Member since 2005 • 281 Posts
It wasn't the one that started it all, but it was surely one of the most innovative.
And yes, the game is fully compatible with Win XP and base building plays a huge role in it.
gerrad2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 gerrad2003
Member since 2004 • 2509 Posts
TA is one of the best rts ever, hopefully SC will live up to it
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

Total Annihilation i know nothing about the game other then its the one rts that started it all so does anyone know if you can play Total Annihilation on windows XP?  also is there base building?itbobcars

First off, TA didnt start it all.  Dune 2 started the RTS genre as far as I am concerned (way back in 1992 I think).

But to address your questions, yes, it does run on XP just fine.  Just make sure you have the latest patches.

There is also basebuilding in the game, and quite a lot of it.  The number of buildings available to build in the game is truly amazing, as are the numbers of vehicles you can make.

If you can find a copy, I highly recommend picking it up.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I played this on my mac when I was a freshman in HS. What a great game...
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
TA was a great game. I still play it from time to time. It is that good.
COD_SirenSong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 COD_SirenSong
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Plays fine on XP, 2000, or any Windows we've ever had.

To Buy it - It's not Free but still the best gaming investment you can make if your willing to learn it :)
http://www.bigdaddysoftware.com

To install it for play in 2007:
http://ewarzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=154&sid=13fffa8209da88022f4d489eac8f0e7f

To Play online:
http://home.centurytel.net/khb/aa/WarZone.html
Download whichever of the 4 works doesnt matter really

For loads of TA information:
http://www.tauniverse.com

OR HERE:
http://d-gun.com/

And or HERE:
http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_totala.htm

Cheers Siren

Twilight_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Twilight_1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I know there are still people who play Total Annihilation online. We usually play Total Annihilation: Twilight, itself descended from Absolute Annihilation and Uberhack, and would love to have more people to play with online.

The website is here:

http://twilight.tauniverse.com

and the latest version is here:

http://twilight.tauniverse.com/downloads.html

What is Total Annihilation: Twilight? The list below, while certainly not comprehensive, summarizes some of the more notable features.

- Original Total Annihilation Feel

- Well Balanced Units, Structures, and Overall Gameplay

- Great Strategic and Tactical Depth

- Hundreds of Carefully Balanced New Units to Fill Strategic/Tactical Roles

- Improved Models

- Newly Added Sounds

- Errors and Bugs Fixed

- Single Player Campaigns Enabled

- Balanced Expressly for Multiplayer

- AI Built From the Ground Up

- Customizable AI Profiles

- Multi-Directional Factories

- Improved Loading and Unloading for Transports

- Nano Turrets and Fortification Turrets

- Larger, More "Naval" Feel to Ships

- Devastating Nuclear Weapons Worthy of the Name

- New Experimental Gantry Units On Both Sides

What is Total Annihilation: Twilight? Put simply, TA:T is an extension of OTA (Original TA), balancing old units and adding in new ones, as might have happened had Cavedog (The maker of Total Annihilation) not gone out of business and continued to update TA.

TA: Twilight strives to make all of the original units useful, as well as adding in new ones to fill strategic roles, all while keeping the original TA feel. While there are many units, they have been added for the purpose of filling specific roles and to generally improve gameplay and fun, and not just so we can say we have lots of units. The idea is that every unit should have a good reason to be built and used. There are some units that are more specialized, and whose ideal situation may not happen all of the time, but the goal is to never have a unit that is just not worth building, either because it is worthless in the first place, or because other units do what it does just as well. Some overlap is fine, as long as each overlapping unit has a solid reason to be built in and of itself.

While the focus of TA:T is on multiplayer, much work has gone into trying to make the single player (Against the AI) experience as fun as possible. The AI for TA:T has been built from the ground up, and includes multiple options to focus the AI on a specific type of game. For example, you can set the AI to build only aircraft, or only level 1 units, etc. All of these AI settings take only a few keystrokes to enable.

From the Absolute Annihilation Twilight Betas to Total Annihilation: Twilight

Here's the short summary of where we came from:

Twilight had been a player of the Absolute Annihilation mod for quite a while (Which was itself descended from the very popular UberHack TA mod), but when Caydr, the maker of Absolute Annihilation, decided to stop supporting the OTA version and only release new versions for the Spring engine, Twilight asked for permission to continue to work on AA and release new versions of it.

Caydr granted this permission, and so since about November of 2005, Twilight had been maintaining and releasing "Twilight Betas" of Absolute Annihilation, which continued to fix bugs and adjust balance issues found in AA version 6.0. For a few months the forums had been hosted at Caydr's own website, www.caydr.com, but an announcement on the front page of the site on January 30th, 2007 stated that he was too busy to keep the site going, and was going to let it lapse. The "Twilight Betas" had changed things substantially since Twilight had taken over development, and he wanted to avoid confusion between the latest "Beta" (Released February 13th, 2007) and the last "official" release of Absolute Annihilation for the TA engine (Instead of the Spring engine), which was put out in the summer of 2005. Because of this, Twilight had been planning to break off and rename the mod, so that he could drop the tenuous "Beta" pretense, and just develop this new mod officially. Caydr's announcement sounded like a good excuse to get that moving, and so, with deep thanks to TAUniverse's gracious hosting, Total Annihilation: Twilight began!

Since taking over in November 2005, Twilight released about 12 new "beta" versions of the AA mod, ending with Twilight Beta 5.7. Instead of 5.8, the next version was Total Annihilation: Twilight v1.0, released in March of 2007 (Lately there is about 1 new version released every month or two, depending on the number of changes made). TA:T is now up to version 1.5a, and Twilight continues working with the community on fixing bugs, balancing units, adding in new units to fill needed roles, etc. TA:T has a small but active community who post quite frequently in the forums regarding balance, new ideas, etc, and we usually have several multiplayer games going on each day and evening.

We are a very welcoming and friendly group of people, and primarily are looking to find new people to play with on-line and introduce to the fun of TA. We have started a tournament recently, but generally just play friendly games. Veteran players and newcomers alike are both welcome!

You can contact me through MSN Messenger or email with twilight13[at]gmail.com.

Thanks, and I look forward to playing with some of you on-line.

Twilight
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I have the game and it works fine for XP and yes there is base building.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#10 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
I'm a ten-year veteran of the game. Total Annihilation wasn't the first RTS, but it was the first to use 3D polygons to render its units and use true height maps for its maps. Before Total Annihilation, units were rendered in 2D sprites, and terrain in maps consisted mainly of passible and impassible squares, and sometimes Simcity 2000-style block elevations. I still play it from time to time to this day, but I have now mostly shifted my attention to Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance - which are basically sequels in all but names to TA. I run it perfectly fine on Windows XP with service pack 2. The game has scalable resolutions - and even perfectly supports widescreen monitors - this is a 1997 game. There is a lot of base building, and there is a lot of fighting. We're talking hundreds, sometimes thousands of units on the map at once duking it out on land, air and sea, while people exchange nukes and Bertha/ Intimidator artillery shells across some of the biggest maps ever in the RTS genre. It's glorious.
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts
I still feel that TA is the ultimate masterpiece of RTS games.
Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
Don't bumb year old threads :twisted: you make the gods...i mean mods angry
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Don't bumb year old threads :twisted: you make the gods...i mean mods angryGokuja
Wow, I didn't even realise that this was an old topic. I wonder why someone bumped the topic.:?