t-unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 t-unit
Member since 2019 • 10 Posts

I've have my PC for over 6 years and am thinking it's time for upgrades, specifically to play Cyberpunk 2077. Currently have i7-3820 and a GTX 770 and they've worked fine with the games I've wanted to play, even Arkham Knight, but had to play it on low settings.

One thing I'd like to know is could I SLI another 770 and get it to run Cyberpunk at 60 fps in 1080p? That's my main goal right now is getting it to play in 1080p at 60 fps. I'm not much into 4k.

I'd rather not touch the CPU, but if it's necessary I'll consider it.

Also, will my current power supply be able to handle a better GPU? I have no idea what's in it now...

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

They state i5-2400 as minimum, that's 4 cores and your CPU is 2 cores so you definitely need to upgrade it. As for the GPU, Sli is not the way to go since you'd probably need a new PSU, and you'd be VRAM restricted cuz in sli 4GB+4GB=4GB. I think the cheapest option for you is to buy a second hand i5 or i7 3000 series and GTX 1060 6GB/GTX 1070/RX 580. I'd wait to see benchmarks and then decide on the GPU.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

i7-3820 is still a good CPU (4 core with 8 threads boosted to 3.8ghz). It might be older but it's still way faster than the consoles CPU. It's probably on par with a modern AMD 2400/3400G which is brand new over $100 so your 3820 isn't exactly obsolete.

My i7 3770k is basically the same as your CPU and I can run 1080p high settings on like every modern game and my GPU is almost 6 years old (R9 290X).

If your just doing 1080p 60FPS then video card upgrade will put you back in business. If you want absolute bang for your buck I would just buy a used GTX 1070 for $170-200 and call it a day. It's performance is on par with a modern 1660 Ti which runs for $100 more brand new.

Your actually in a good situation right now. You can buy really any modern mid tier card from the last 2-3 years and it will be a big jump over what you got (cards like the 1060/1070, 1660, RX480/580....ect) and you can wait to do a new system build when the next generation of game engines/consoles roll out in 2021. By then you'll have a better idea of what games will want/require, will have an idea if you want to jump to a more modern resolution, and there will be at least 1 if not 2 more generations of CPU/GPU out by then.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mastershake575

@t-unit said:

GTX 770 and they've worked fine with the games I've wanted to play, even Arkham Knight, but had to play it on low settings.

I never played this game but it must be extremely poorly optimized. Your videocard (even though it's older) is still faster than a modern day GTX 1050, there's no reason to be playing games on low settings with it regardless of it's age

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Your CPU should be fine.

I'd probably get a GTX 1080 used. Don't think SLI is supported that much these days and I don't expect CDPR to optimize the game for older cards or SLI configs at launch. Maybe later down the line like they did with Witcher 3.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PfizersaurusRex

Whoops, now I see you got an i7, don't know how I read i3. Then all you gotta do is upgrade the GPU and maybe ram, and you're all set.

t-unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 t-unit
@PfizersaurusRex said:

Whoops, now I see you got an i7, don't know how I read i3. Then all you gotta do is upgrade the GPU and maybe ram, and you're all set.

I'm all set with RAM. When I had the PC built in 2013 I specifically told the guy I wanted 16GB even tho that was way more than what was needed back then.

@mastershake575 said:
@t-unit said:

GTX 770 and they've worked fine with the games I've wanted to play, even Arkham Knight, but had to play it on low settings.

I never played this game but it must be extremely poorly optimized. Your videocard (even though it's older) is still faster than a modern day GTX 1050, there's no reason to be playing games on low settings with it regardless of it's age

When it came out for PC, Arkham Knight was so buggy it was virtually unplayable, so yes, it was a poorly optimized game, but after patches came out it worked fine.

Anyway, it looks like I will need to upgrade the GPU. Some here have recommended the 1070/1080 for around $200. I have money to spend, so what would be a good GPU for $300-350? Given the age of my computer, is it worth me getting a more powerful GPU or is there a point of diminishing returns where the more powerful a GPU I get, the less I get out of it due to my CPU's power?

I generally try to buy things for the long term (5+ years) and not just to get by for a couple years. If I can keep my current processor and still run games at high levels in 1080, I'm happy with that. Someone here said in a few years I may want to make the move to a higher resolution, but I don't have a use for 4K TV's and even if I did have a 4K TV, for PC games, I would stick with 1080p resolution.

PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PfizersaurusRex

@t-unit: For that money RX 5700 is probably the best deal. It sure is an overkill for 1080p but you want it to last so...

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mastershake575

@t-unit said:

Someone here said in a few years I may want to make the move to a higher resolution, but I don't have a use for 4K TV's and even if I did have a 4K TV, for PC games, I would stick with 1080p resolution.

That was me that said that. Modern resolution doesn't necessarily mean 4k. The most popular resolution people are jumping to is 1440p VA panels. It's significantly more sharp than 1080p but doesn't cripple your frames like 4k. I went from 60hz 1080p IPS panel to a 144hz 1440p VA panel and it literally felt like I was jumping an entire generation (difference was huge).

I didn't say you had to but I said in a few years you might decide to or at least contemplate it with new game engines guaranteeing 1440p/4k textures in the game files.

In regards to a higher-end card bottlenecking by your CPU your CPU will hold it back a decent amount but it's moot point because at 1080p your going to crush these games regardless (basically with your CPU you might get 110 FPS but if you had a more modern CPU you'd get 140FPS, at that point it's like big deal your still crushing the game).

It's also moot because 1. If you did move to a higher resolution that actually stress the card higher resolution are less demanding/dependant on the CPU and 2. If 2021 rolls around and you want to do an affordable partial rebuild of your computer (replace CPU/Ram/Motherboard but keep everything else) your not gonna want to put a crappy card in there to complement it

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

When's it out? I'm 100% going open loop after Xmas.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I would recommend a RTX 2060, your CPU is on par with a 3770K which is still good enough for gaming and more than enough to keep up with a modern mid range GPU like the 2060.

Now before the AMD fan boy's get to you, the RTX 2060 has better price to performance than a 5700 AND it supports Ray Tracing which the game you want most and are upgrading for has.

Go with the RTX 2060, get better thermals/noise levels with a card that is cheaper and offers 4% less performance than a loud stock 5700 which has no ray tracing support.

Don't let then fool you, performance isn't everything when you lack features and cost more while sounding like a hair dryer.

If you can get a after market card then for the same price then sure consider the 5700 but when that Cyberpunk game comes out and you spent $350 on a GPU that doesn't support a feature the game has you will be kicking your self.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2147 Posts

Why upgrade now for a game that won't be out for half a year?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17850 Posts

@rmpumper said:

He is rocking a 770. That is ancient. He should have upgraded a long time ago. No need to prolong the suffering.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56285 Posts
@BassMan said:
@rmpumper said:

He is rocking a 770. That is ancient. He should have upgraded a long time ago. No need to prolong the suffering.

The 770 was a good card, still is. I just don't see it lasting another 2 years in modern games at medium settings when next-gen consoles start picking up the pace in terms of graphics and I'll just take a guess that Cyberpunk 2077 might be the final straw going for the lowest settings. I'd say it's just fine, the previous gen 670 is good, too but in my opinion, TC should at least upgrade to the 1070Ti if possible and get it used, they are dirty cheap to buy and it'll be a massive upgrade jump.

t-unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 t-unit
@rmpumper said:

@BassMan said:
@rmpumper said:

Well, I figure if there are any black friday or other holiday sales before the end of the year, I may as well score a new card for less. Also, my current PC is running Windows 7 and support for that is ending in January, so I need to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm planning to keep 7 ( I like 7 for older games) on my current hard drive, but my hard drive is 6 years old and they don't last forever, so I'm buying a new a SSD and putting 10 on that.

If any here know of any black friday/holiday deals for SSD's, please lemme know.

LaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LaP
Member since 2002 • 17786 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I would recommend a RTX 2060, your CPU is on par with a 3770K which is still good enough for gaming and more than enough to keep up with a modern mid range GPU like the 2060.

Now before the AMD fan boy's get to you, the RTX 2060 has better price to performance than a 5700 AND it supports Ray Tracing which the game you want most and are upgrading for has.

he RTX 2060, get better thermals/noise levels with a card that is cheaper and offers 4% less performance than a loud stock 5700 which has no ray tracing support.
he RTX 2060, get better thermals/noise levels with a card that is cheaper and offers 4% less performance than a loud stock 5700 which has no ray tracing support.

let then fool you, performance isn't everything when you lack features and cost more while sounding like a hair dryer.

If you can get a after market card then for the same price then sure consider the 5700 but when that Cyberpunk game comes out and you spent $350 on a GPU that doesn't support a feature the game has you will be kicking your self.

RTX 2600 6GB will very likely not be powerful enough for RTX moving forward. I would definitely not buy this card for ray tracing. BTW no it doesn't offer a better value than the 5700.

Cost per frame is close. Hardware Unboxed had the 5700 having a lower cost per frames than the 2600. It depends on the games tested but HU usually test lot more games than other publications.

He should buy the best deal he can find. Tying yourself to a company is stupid. If he can have a great deal on a 2600 then he should buy a 2600. If he can have a great deal on a 5700 then he should go this route. They are both decent (but imo overpriced in Canada) cards.

For 1080p gaming he should take a look at the 1660 Super. Less expensive. No RTX taxe. More than good enough for 1080p.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@LaP said:

RTX 2600 6GB will very likely not be powerful enough for RTX moving forward. I would definitely not buy this card for ray tracing. BTW no it doesn't offer a better value than the 5700.

Cost per frame is close. Hardware Unboxed had the 5700 having a lower cost per frames than the 2600. It depends on the games tested but HU usually test lot more games than other publications.

He should buy the best deal he can find. Tying yourself to a company is stupid. If he can have a great deal on a 2600 then he should buy a 2600. If he can have a great deal on a 5700 then he should go this route. They are both decent (but imo overpriced in Canada) cards.

For 1080p gaming he should take a look at the 1660 Super. Less expensive. No RTX taxe. More than good enough for 1080p.

No fanboyism here. That review has a 21 game benchmark where they get their figures from out of a 21 game average the 2060 offers better price to performance.

Also hardware un-boxed is going off of the cheapest 5700 and 2600... You don't want to be getting a $350 GPU with a blower fan that sounds like a mini dyson in your system.

The only 5700 makes no sense in terms of price, the 5700XT is where the true price to performance lands in the AMD corner but it runs into the same issue the horrible blower design that is drastically louder than even the cheapest RTX 2060 available.

The 5700 lineup is absolute trash by your own argument of Ray tracing tax... If Nvidia's RTX line is overpriced for a feature, then why is AMD selling the same price/performance without that feature?... As for performance Ray Tracing is in software infancy, with developers like Crytek moving towards a form that will work on ALL GPU's Ray Tracing will become less taxing and IN those benchmarks having dedicated RT cores is a MASSIVE help when you compare the price/performance compared to AMD.

Article below:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-crytek-neon-noir-software-ray-tracing-tested

A 2060 has the same performance as a XT.

You are not buying a GPU for todays games alone. Features matter especially when they are hardware integral features.

AMD is fully aware of this and its why the next generation of consoles are getting Ray Tracing with Navi, PC gamer's the other hand buying Navi without Ray Tracing are fanboys who have been led to accept louder cards with roughly the same price/performance as Nvidia's "overpriced" generation but lacking a core feature is a "BETTER BUY". Its clearly not.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4387 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: ray tracing is in its software infancy......... ahahahahaha that made my day. its so old now its has grown 2 sons!!!!

never buy a gpu alone for 1 feature or 1 game. wait and see where it goes.

also grey you left out big greens game changing tech that died.

like hair fx

physicx

its like current marketing for native 4k....( the definition is when everything is created in 4k)

99% of content is not.

also how their now pushing 8k....

most gamers dont work in said industry that this terms are used it. so they copy and past tons of info from online sources. that also do work in said areas....

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

They state i5-2400 as minimum, that's 4 cores and your CPU is 2 cores so you definitely need to upgrade it. As for the GPU, Sli is not the way to go since you'd probably need a new PSU, and you'd be VRAM restricted cuz in sli 4GB+4GB=4GB. I think the cheapest option for you is to buy a second hand i5 or i7 3000 series and GTX 1060 6GB/GTX 1070/RX 580. I'd wait to see benchmarks and then decide on the GPU.

I could kiss you if that's true! I have 16GB ram and a GTX 1080 in my rig. The only thing I was really worried about was my i5-2500k (oc'd to 4.0ghz). But it seems I may be good to go after all. I only play in 1080p anyway.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@t-unit said:

I've have my PC for over 6 years and am thinking it's time for upgrades, specifically to play Cyberpunk 2077. Currently have i7-3820 and a GTX 770 and they've worked fine with the games I've wanted to play, even Arkham Knight, but had to play it on low settings.

One thing I'd like to know is could I SLI another 770 and get it to run Cyberpunk at 60 fps in 1080p? That's my main goal right now is getting it to play in 1080p at 60 fps. I'm not much into 4k.

I'd rather not touch the CPU, but if it's necessary I'll consider it.

Also, will my current power supply be able to handle a better GPU? I have no idea what's in it now...

1st of all I wouldn't get new hardware before the actual game come out, you'll never know the performance issues before reviews and testings, I'd wait 2-3 weeks after it's launch date before deciding on the hardware upgrade.

2nd SLI that 770 with 2Gb VRAM will still make it a 2Gb SLI setup, unwise - better get a new GPU.

You could upgrade the whole system with faster CPU but I think it's fine, I'm still using i5 4690 with a 970.