Wireless 3D glasses for PC games.. worth the investment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for wookieeassassin
wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wookieeassassin
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts
https://edimensional.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28&osCsid=4ba4f3c2b8ad1a969728f3b57f5ea111

Would these $100 wireless glasses that bring the game out to you like in a video where you wear the 3d glasses be worth it.  Do you think they would work?
CMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 CMJR
Member since 2005 • 331 Posts
I remember years back I got a pair of these things with a graphics card I'd purchased.  It was pretty damn cool, but I did find I got kinda dizzy after awhile and couldn't game as long with them on.

I was actually wondering awhile back if they even still made them anymore.

Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
Really? I thought those were a hoax... :o
riznitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 riznitch
Member since 2003 • 36 Posts
get the advil out cause, the next morning you are going to need them.
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
I remember years back I got a pair of these things with a graphics card I'd purchased. It was pretty damn cool, but I did find I got kinda dizzy after awhile and couldn't game as long with them on.

I was actually wondering awhile back if they even still made them anymore.

CMJR
How much of a performance hit did they take? Did you get the same frame rates with/without them?
CMJR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 CMJR
Member since 2005 • 331 Posts
How much of a performance hit did they take? Did you get the same frame rates with/without them?d-rtyboy

As I recall, there wasn't a huge performance hit.  But you did have to run the games in a lower resolution...

For those unfamiliar with how the glasses work, your monitor basically alternates between two different versions of the game.  One for your right eye, and one for your left.  Each lens in the glasses is an LCD screen, which alternate blacking out your vision.  What this means is, one eye is forced to see one perspective, the other another, and your brain interprets this as a 3D image.

However, and the site warns of this, 70Hz or better refresh rate is recommended.  Because below that, your eyes can start to perceive this flicker and you'll start getting a headache.  This is also why a lower resolution is better, because the framerate is also high enough to make the image appear as it should.

I remember playing Deus Ex with them, and it was pretty damn cool.  I recall feeling like I was going cross-eyed, but the effect is pretty spectacular.  Your monitor suddenly seems like it goes on forever, like you could put your hand through it.

But the glasses were proprietary, and when I upgraded my video card, they were no longer useable.  So, yeah, that was that.