bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bragr
Member since 2017 • 76 Posts

I find it strange how no one seems to find it weird to see a teenager cutting throats and butchering people left and right, she's tiny, she's like an 80-pound kid killing 6 adults at a time with an ax. If this was a movie, people would laugh their ass off. Especially if it was a movie that tried to be serious.

And I know that some would use arguments like "she grew up in this world, she trained all her life", but so did everyone she's fighting. Unless you have the physicality of Mike Tyson at 19, you not gonna do much against a gang of adults when you weigh about the same as a bag of potatoes. I'm not judging her as a girl, this goes for a boy too. I think it's fair to ignore the gender physicality gap that Naughty Dog does here, and seeing an 80-pound boy would enlist the same reaction.

But it's so weird to see a game where they go for ultra-realistic melee violence and brutality yet create an over-powered kid as the protagonist.

I know they did it in the first game too, and it was even dumber there, to the point of comedic, she was like 13, but it was such a great thing for the story and so late in the game, I didn't even think too much about it. Plus, stories have a higher standard these days. Or at least I hope.

I know it's a game and game protagonist can't be realistic in action games, but at some point, we gotta demand some serious take on characters in serious games, or else it's never gonna change.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

From what I've seen in the latest trailer, there's hardly any focus on her taking down enemies with brute force. And, of course, there are other ways than raw strength to defeat people. As with the first game, I'm sure Ellie's strengths will be stealth and agility. I remember needing to carefully sneak up on enemies to defeat them one on one. She can use a bow very well, too, to deal with enemies at a range.

I think the first game handled the combat really well, and I expect this one will too. I don't see Ellie having the same capabilities as Joel in the first game. Raising the difficulty to the highest level might give you more of the experience you're looking for. Otherwise it sounds like you've made up your mind about the game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Please follow the steps below to enjoy fiction:

1. Suspend your disbelief.

2. Go in with an open mind.

3. Enjoy!

That's it. I mean seriously it's a game about fungus-zombies and revenge, "can Ellie really do that?" is the last question you should be asking.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Weird? Some of the most crazy killings I have seen have been from kids, so the idea of ellie butchering people is not strange to me.

bragr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bragr
Member since 2017 • 76 Posts

I might have been too harsh initially, but now that I played through it, I have to double down on it. I think the game is brilliant, for the most part, but I think the game would work better if they came up with more plausible scenarios. I find it odd that no one at Naughty Dog found it over the top to have a teenager as the protagonist in one of the most brutal games ever.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The law of physics don't apply to video games.

Also, many teenagers were once considered as adults and they fought in large battles in war.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Isn't her sneak move a bit tedious as well? All her sneak behind move is stabbing the opponent in the neck? It's getting repetitive.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I thought the same thing when I watched some gameplay, but then I was told to suspend reality, it’s a videogame. It does come off as agenda pushing though.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#10 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@bragr:

Well to be fair, Ellie is 19 in Last of Us 2 so she SHOULD have adult strength by now. The rest I say, it's just a friggin' videogame. We can enjoy it without thinking too hard about it.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's almost like the gameplay is an after thought designed to be the token experience it is.

It was one my my biggest problems with the first game (apart from how painfully slow and uninteresting the story was). During the winter level, you play as Ellie and stealthily murder a bunch of dudes with her knife. Like, the body count shoots up into the double digits. Then during the confrontation with David, she freaks out killing him and has a breakdown even though we, the player, have controlled her as she actively participates in numerous brutal murders. It just does not work.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

Hard to imagine it in current age where people age of 30 still live with their parents.