SnooCrickets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SnooCrickets
Member since 2021 • 7 Posts

Hi all. Think I might have goofed up changing the thermal paste on my 80gb E01. PS3 ran good prior to changing thermal paste. After I did it, it runs quietly and plays games great but will shut off during gaming and give me the blinking red light. Never did this before until I changed the thermal paste.

During the process, I managed to scratch the RSX chip. There are 3 good scratches on the top left hand of the chip. Would this cause the PS3 to abruptly shut off during gaming. I mostly play cod games which IMO don't really work the PS3 that hard. Fan speed is 3 when playing so I don't think its overheating.

It will shut off about an hour or two into playing. Once it shuts off, I can restart it immediately and it will work as if nothing happened. The only thing I can think off that I did wrong was scratch the RSX chip, otherwise everything went smoothly. When taking the fan/heatsinks off I did have to wiggle and work it to get it off, maybe I dislodged the solder joints on the chips? But wouldn't that result in failure immediately?

Any help would be awesome!

I have pictures, but gamespot will not let me post them as this is my first post.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Did you remove the IHS? Pointless bothering if you didn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Scratching anything is bad. How did you reseat the spreaders? A thin spread of permatex ultra black or similar on the spreaders would be ideal.

SnooCrickets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SnooCrickets

@Random_Matt: I did not remove the IHS as I don't trust myself doing that. I used Arctic MX4 and put a pea sized (probably a little more) on the center of each chip. I then put the heatsink/fan assembly back on and seen that it made contact with both chips and reassembled everything. I'm thinking I might tear it apart tomorrow and look over everything and redo it.

SnooCrickets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SnooCrickets

@girlusocrazy: I didn't touch the cell or RSX chip, but I did run my finger across the heatsinks a little bit. Would that be enough to compromise the thermal paste? Hoping it's not anything serious like a connection or a crack in the solder.

SnooCrickets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SnooCrickets

@girlusocrazy: Ribbons were reconnected properly. I'm going to rebuild the database and see if that does anything. If not, I will tear into it tomorrow and redo it.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#9 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5169 Posts

If it's a PS3 that's backwards compatible with PS2 games, then I wouldn't play ANY ps3 games on it. Go get a slim or a Super Slim to do that with.

Your phat ps3 will last longer just playing ps1 and ps2 games on it

dabansotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dabansotu
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

So i need to clean my unit and re apply thermal paste to my ps3. I have never done that before. Any tips as i dont want to add too much or too little and hopefully keep it alive a bit longer.

https://vidmate.onl/