Need help setting up your PS5 for optimal performance?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

Hi everyone, I decided to make this thread to help with a few things that took some time to sort through and though I would try to help others not have an issue with. If something similar has been posted then feel free to lock or take this down. I'm just trying to help people out.

A couple words of advice to save the issues I had and how to set your PS5 up for optimal performance.

1. Make sure you have an HDMI 2.1 cable long enough to reach your TV. The PS5 does come with one but it is very short.

2. The setting to change game mode to performance mode is in Settings, System, Saved Data and Game/App Settings, Game Presets, and then change Resolution mode to Performance mode (if you are like me and like to play online and prefer smooth framerates and gameplay over shine. ((note* this is the ONLY way to enable 120htz).

3. Make sure you have a good headset to take advantage of the 3D audio. It's amazing and you can change the ear level. Default is at 3 but I changed mine to 4. In order to change this setting go to Settings, Sound, Audio Output, and then to Adjust 3D Audio Profile.

4, If your headphones seem quiet make sure to turn the in game volume in the settings all the way up. Even though it looks as though it is 80-90% up that last little bit makes a HUGE difference and you can always just adjust your headphones manually from that point. In order to change this setting go to Settings, Sound, Volume, and max the Headphones bar out.

5. Make sure you are running the proper version of the game you are playing. To do this press the options button (yeah I know it's probably called something different on the PS5, it's the button with 3 horizontal lines on the right side of the touch pad) while hovering over the UI picture of the game you want to load. Then select game version and make sure the PS5 version is selected.

6. Take the extra time to sync your PS4 settings and save files during the initial setup or it's a lot more of a hassle later.

7. Don't forget to claim the free games in the PlayStation Store under Subscriptions and in the PS Plus Collection. These games include God of War, Days Gone, Persona 5, The Last of Us Remastered, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, Monster Hunter World, Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, Mortal Kombat X, Fallout 4, FF XVI Royal Edition, RE Biohazard, The Last Guardian, Battlefield 1, Call of Duty Black Ops III, Detroit Become Human, Batman Arkham Knight, Infamous Second Son, Until Dawn, and Bloodborne. I'm pretty sure these are all a limited time offering so make sure you add them to your library while you can. Don't forget to snag Bugsnax while you're at it.. lol.

8. Don't sleep on Astros Playroom that comes preinstalled on the PS5.. it's actually a really fun game and is a great way to get to know the new controller and use the new hint system by watching short videos or by loading directly into places you haven't completed. A really cool new feature and a game to really showcase what both the controller and console is capable of moving forward.

I hope some of the things I said really help people. I'm loving the PS5 and hoping I'll be just as thrilled with the XSX. Good luck and great gaming all.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Have my PS5 going through my HDMI 2.1 receiver. Then another HDMI 2.1 cable to the tv. That way I never have to change HDMI inputs on the tv and all the audio (which is phenomenal) is directly passed to the sound system. So many tv's (I'm looking at you Samsung and Sony) have issues with passthrough and DTS.