Black climate activist cropped out of photo because she doesn't fit "composition"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59338 Posts

By that they mean the building and not the odd one out in a line up of milky white cherub faced propaganda activists.

Unfortunately the camera man was still left with 4 other buildings.

From checking google images, it appears Trump has never cropped out any of his black friends or fans against climate change.

A Ugandan Climate Activist Was Cropped Out Of A News Agency Photo Of Greta Thunberg At Davos

Vanessa Nakate told BuzzFeed News she was heartbroken to see websites use a photo featuring four white activists but not her.

LONDON — Vanessa Nakate is a 23-year-old climate activist from Uganda who this week attended the World Economic Forum in Davos.

On Friday, she took part in a news conference with Greta Thunberg and other activists ahead of a Fridays for Future protest in the Swiss town.

However, she was dismayed to find that in news coverage of the event, she had been cropped out of a photo issued by the Associated Press news agency featuring Thunberg and fellow activists Luisa Neubauer, Isabelle Axelsson, and Loukina Tille. AP later changed the photo that appeared as the thumbnail on Twitter for the story Nakate tweeted.

Nakate told BuzzFeed News via Twitter DMs she was heartbroken when she saw the photo. “I cried because it was so sad not just that it was racist, I was sad because of the people from Africa.

“It showed how we are valued. It hurt me a lot. It is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life.”

Nakate also posted an emotional 10-minute-long video discussing her experience at the summit and how it felt seeing the cropped photo.

Nakate, an activist since 2018, was inspired by Thunberg to start her own climate movement in Uganda and began a solitary strike against inaction on the climate crisis in January 2019.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts

What the hell was AP news thinking?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Just wait...I've been told for the past couple of years that only the right is racist?!? I'm so confused now...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Greta PR manager is really good at doing his job keeping Greta at the center of attention.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

I agree with her. There is NO excuse for this behaviour.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178876 Posts

Wait are you calling humans buildings?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23058 Posts

This happened to employees in a corporate promotional photo we took years ago (without the race angle - a number of people were cropped out on the sides of a group photo) and people were understandably livid. You can't just crop out people who were involved.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Confused why this is even an issue, people get cropped out all the time and on the photo, there was a "disturbing" building behind the Uganda activist.

But I do agree that it could have been handled differently but there was no racist motive behind this crop.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

This is a bad day for her.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Wow. Yeah that's fucked.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@vfighter said:

Just wait...I've been told for the past couple of years that only the right is racist?!? I'm so confused now...

Whoever said that is dumb. There are several racists on the left and inbetween. Just look at Holllywood.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Pretty disgraceful move.

Greta was right to condemn the cropping

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

No. The TC is pointing out how the AP tried to cover up their racism by blaming the building behind Ms. Nakate.

David Ake, the AP’s director of photography, told Buzzfeed UK that, under tight deadline, the photographer “cropped it purely on composition grounds”. “He thought the building in the background was distracting,” Ake said.

LINK

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

Some day I would like the world to calm the **** down, I want people to go "Hey, AP, you probably didn't mean this in any harmful way, but you sort of made a mistake cropping this young woman out of a photo she was in"

Then, you know, the rest of the world would be like "Oh, yeah, that's kind of a bummer" or "That happened to me with a Facebook photo of me and my friends, I can totally sympathize" and so on .

Then AP Would be like "Our bad, we will fix this. Totally sorry"

The world would then go "All good, dude, we all make mistakes"

But no. We get "RAWR RAWR RAWR RACISM RACISM RAWR RAWR". Yeah, AP should have known better, but hey they are only human *shrug*

I mean what do you lose by giving people the benefit of a doubt? You can still call people on their crap but not be a dick about it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No. The TC is pointing out how the AP tried to cover up their racism by blaming the building behind Ms. Nakate.

David Ake, the AP’s director of photography, told Buzzfeed UK that, under tight deadline, the photographer “cropped it purely on composition grounds”. “He thought the building in the background was distracting,” Ake said.

LINK

That may have actually been the intent...…….I try not read into things in isolation myself.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacanuk

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

LINK

You are assuming an awful lot here, Also I highly doubt the point of the AP photographers choice to crop this kid, was because of racism. It´s a lot more likely that he follow simple compositing and wanted the Swedish kid in the middle to draw attention to her and not so much the other people there.

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

LINK

You are assuming an awful lot here, Also I highly doubt the point of the AP photographers choice to crop this kid, was because of racism. It´s a lot more likely that he follow simple compositing and wanted the Swedish kid in the middle to draw attention to her and not so much the other people there.

Of course I am assuming a lot. I thought that is what we are supposed to do when anyone causes a person of color to feel bad.

Extreme assumption in the battle against racism is no vice,.........right??

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59338 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I mean what do you lose by giving people the benefit of a doubt?

Agreed.

If this was Trump, no doubt it would get the exact same "oh it must just be" response.

Yup.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Trump is pure evil and must be behind this

How dare she be black... obviously she needed to be edited out of the photo for not covering herself in bird feces or and flour

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70414 Posts

A photo that supposed to show the young activists crops out one of the five members in the group for a news article because the building was distracting. Seriously? We supposed to ignorantly and innocently look at this as acceptable? GTFO

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@Pedro said:

A photo that supposed to show the young activists crops out one of the five members in the group for a news article because the building was distracting. Seriously? We supposed to ignorantly and innocently look at this as acceptable? GTFO

Some people look for outrage everywhere...……….

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I mean what do you lose by giving people the benefit of a doubt?

Agreed.

If this was Trump, no doubt it would get the exact same "oh it must just be" response.

Yup.

I just wish Trump wasn't objectively wrong about climate change almost all the time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@LJS9502_basic said:

Some people like to pretend everything is OK and ignore the problems of the world.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

@Pedro said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Some people like to pretend everything is OK and ignore the problems of the world.

There is a vast difference between ignoring problems and making problems up. Pictures do get cropped.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Lol, coming from you this is hilarious.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Even a decent photographer could have figured how to fit all five people in the photo so it followed the same format as the top picture. Isn't it obvious why many photos are taken in the style of the top rather than bottom? Racism is a stretch though.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

@Pedro said:

You are mistaken here, the point of the photo was not to show 4 or even 5 climate activists, it was to show the one that has the medias attention, the Swedish one.

The rest and here the Uganda activist in the picture are all unimportant and that is more likely to be the reason why when the editing happened, the left side got cropped because of a disturbing building.

Not because of "supposed racism"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@LJS9502_basic: Yes, pictures do get cropped. However when it supposed to represent 5 people/subjects and only 4 is shown, you have a problem. Not "the world is going to end" problem but its still a problem. We don't live in a vacuum so the exclusion of the only non-white person cannot be easily viewed as an innocent accident or composition choice. So, someone coming to the conclusion that its a racist gesture is not unreasonable. Things like this get more blown out when people pretend that problems aren't a problem, escalating an issue that could have been admitted and addressed.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TomaLevine

If it was 4 black girls and 1 white girl who got cropped out there would be no outrage though.

So much anti white bias

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@Pedro said:

@LJS9502_basic: Yes, pictures do get cropped. However when it supposed to represent 5 people/subjects and only 4 is shown, you have a problem. Not "the world is going to end" problem but its still a problem. We don't live in a vacuum so the exclusion of the only non-white person cannot be easily viewed as an innocent accident or composition choice. So, someone coming to the conclusion that its a racist gesture is not unreasonable. Things like this get more blown out when people pretend that problems aren't a problem, escalating an issue that could have been admitted and addressed.

No there really only was important subject in that picture and she was shown....the girl who started the movement.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 comp_atkins  Online
Member since 2005 • 38693 Posts

"It is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life."

really?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Who cares?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Confused why this is even an issue, people get cropped out all the time and on the photo, there was a "disturbing" building behind the Uganda activist.

But I do agree that it could have been handled differently but there was no racist motive behind this crop.

^ I agree with this fully. If a white girl got cropped out, nobody would care ...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@LJS9502_basic said:

No there really only was important subject in that picture and she was shown....the girl who started the movement.

There were five girls the initially only showed 4. They updated their article to show all of the participants. The person you claim as the only important person disagrees with your assertion.

@tomalevine said:

If it was 4 black girls and 1 white girl who got cropped out there would be no outrage though.

So much anti white bias

Anti-white? Last I checked it was a black person that was cropped out not a white.

@ArchoNils2 said:

^ I agree with this fully. If a white girl got cropped out, nobody would care ...

Maybe, maybe not. Someone cared in this situation. If it was a white girl that was cropped and someone objected to the omission I would see no issue with the complaint. However, it is common for folks to trivialize or claim over sensitivity when it comes to specific groups.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TomaLevine

@Pedro:

And there is massive outrage. Whenever a hate crime or anything bad happens to a white person it is glossed over

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@tomalevine said:

@Pedro:

And there is massive outrage. Whenever a hate crime or anything bad happens to a white person it is glossed over

The people who are affected by any action are the ones responsible for making the big deal. If a white person died because of a hate crime, it is up to their fellowmen to make that outrage. If people decide to be silent, don't fault the ones who are not. People were up in arms about gay marriage, abortion etc. They ensure that the public knew their stance on the matter whether they agree or disagree.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jacanuk

@Pedro said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

There were five girls the initially only showed 4. They updated their article to show all of the participants. The person you claim as the only important person disagrees with your assertion.

@tomalevine said:

So much anti white bias

Anti-white? Last I checked it was a black person that was cropped out not a white.

@ArchoNils2 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Someone cared in this situation. If it was a white girl that was cropped and someone objected to the omission I would see no issue with the complaint. However, it is common for folks to trivialize or claim over sensitivity when it comes to specific groups.

Who disagrees with what?

Also, who cares what I assume you mean is the Swedish girl´s opinion, unless she is suddenly an AP editor and an AP photographer, it´s irrelevant what she thinks.

Also, go look up each of the 4 other peoples names on google and see how many results you get, and then try the Swedish one.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@Jacanuk said:

Who disagrees with what?

Also, who cares what I assume you mean is the Swedish girl´s opinion, unless she is suddenly an AP editor and an AP photographer, it´s irrelevant what she thinks.

Also, go look up each of the 4 other peoples names on google and see how many results you get, and then try the Swedish one.

Its irrelevant what she thinks when she is the subject of the article? That's your argument? Seriously? And the number of hit results is relevant to this topic because?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacanuk

@Pedro said:
@Jacanuk said:

Who disagrees with what?

Its irrelevant what she thinks when she is the subject of the article? That's your argument? Seriously? And the number of hit results is relevant to this topic because?

You do get that the AP photo-journalist is the person who decides what is the focus of the picture he wants to submit?

What the Swedish one think is relevant is irrelevant when she has zero say.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@Jacanuk said:

You do get that the AP photo-journalist is the person who decides what is the focus of the picture he wants to submit?

Apparently your assertion is incorrect because in the end the image was changed and it wasn't changed because of the photo-journalist call. So, its hard to say that the "Swedish one" comments were irrelevant.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@Pedro said:
@Jacanuk said:

Apparently your assertion is incorrect because in the end the image was changed and it wasn't changed because of the photo-journalist call. So, its hard to say that the "Swedish one" comments were irrelevant.

Ya, because that change has nothing to do with the twitterstorm and the vocal SJW minority outrage.

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TomaLevine

@Pedro: so we are blaming the victim now. If a white came out in support of white rights. Those in charge would slander/libel them into submission after they have them deplatformed, imprisoned, and/or fined.

Whites are the new oppressed group

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 N64DD

Stop being so dramatic. He wanted the building out of there. It looks less commercial and more about nature and the shot looks better.

Stop making it into an issue that it's not.

Get a hobby people

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

@Pedro said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm supposed to care what she thinks? Pictures are cropped all the time. Stand as close to the center as possible and you won't be cropped out. Honestly unless you can show a pattern of racism it's just looking to be offended to be offended. Thunberg has been all over the news. The others girls...…..not. Anyone of them on the end would have been cropped.

Why does everyone look to be offended over everything?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 N64DD
@LJS9502_basic said:
@Pedro said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm supposed to care what she thinks? Pictures are cropped all the time. Stand as close to the center as possible and you won't be cropped out. Honestly unless you can show a pattern of racism it's just looking to be offended to be offended. Thunberg has been all over the news. The others girls...…..not. Anyone of them on the end would have been cropped.

Why does everyone look to be offended over everything?

I actually agree with you on this.