Do you want to see more cooperation in politics?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you want to see more cooperation in politics? (30 votes)

Yes, I'm tired of the fighting. Let's work together to make the world better. 63%
No, politics is by nature a competition, and the winner should have full authority. 13%
Yes and No. 17%
Neither 7%

No news here, just discussion. I'm sort of curious what everyone's take is on bipartisanship, especially in a two-party dominant system like the US has.

Do you want to see more cooperation between the Dems and GOP at the expense of neither side not getting everything they want, but getting some of what both want?

Or do you think that the winner of the election should more or less be the dominant force in politics, and the opposing side should kowtow to their whims?

I'm of the former. I think most people are moderate (myself included) and I would like to see more people meeting in the middle and just getting shit done as opposed to pushing each other away as they both run towards extremes and essentially get nothing done.

Example: I am happy AOC is raising money for Texans, but on the other hand I thought it would have been really awesome if she had worked together either with a conservative organization or Republican politicians (especially in the state itself) to raise the money.

• 
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

Yeah that would be nice. Difficult with winner takes it all system and attitude.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Yes. As much as I would like to see things like MFA, smaller military budgets, widespread climate change action and such, the ultimate role of a democratic government is to compromise and deliver policy that no one loves, but most can live with.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

@judaspete said:

Yes. As much as I would like to see things like MFA, smaller military budgets, widespread climate change action and such, the ultimate role of a democratic government is to compromise and deliver policy that no one loves, but most can live with.

A rare and refreshing outlook.

I think too often we view compromise as a four-letter word, a weakness, like we are giving in to demands. The reality is compromise is simply working together to meet shared goals while not taking on too much of what you don't want.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

That makes it seem like a 2 side issue, Republicans have adopted a platform of obstruction, how about we start there.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23955 Posts

Yes and no. It really depends on the issue.

I want more bipartisanship and compromise, but at the same time, I dont want people to side, or even compromise with lunatics.

Opposition culture is bad, but so is compromising with people who are just... wrong. The ideal way forward would be objectivity. But I guess compromising with those who are just wrong, is better than politics being a zig-zag tug of war where one administration proceeds to undo all the changes made by the previous one. Consistancy is healthy, this tug of war... isn't benefiting anyone.

Here in Sweden left and right wing parties are far more likely to cooperate. Probably because everyone is now opposed to the lunatics known as the Sweden Democrats (who combines the worst aspects of left wing politcs and right wing politics into one populist disaster).

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I'd like to see facts return first. The age of Trump has shown us that facts don't matter and made half of our electorate moronic conspiracy theorists.

Fix that first, then we'll talk cooperation.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

The problem is the two party system.

It makes everything black and white, right or wrong with people. There is no shades of gray.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Honestly, not really. Twelve years ago I thought more cooperation and comprise was something worth striving for, but since then I came to realize that Republicans in congress were intentionally arguing in bad faith because they wanted power back more than they wanted to help people in the middle of the worst financial downturn in our lifetime.

I don't know what the purpose is of compromising with people who are arguing in bad faith.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

@Serraph105: Yeah, these arguments always pop up during Democratic administrations. I can't imagine why, lol.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Yes and No. I would like to see politicians working together for the good of the people but the GOP seems to think that means they get what they want and when they don't they whine about it. Some issues should NOT be sold out for the sake of compromise.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25

@mattbbpl said:

@Serraph105: Yeah, these arguments always pop up during Democratic administrations. I can't imagine why, lol.

Very true, especially when you have folks in the GOP saying and believing things like this:

Loading Video...

Basically even if something looks good to the GOP, if it makes a democrat look good they probably won't work to pass it.

Felixkoch2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Felixkoch2312
Member since 2021 • 19 Posts

Troublesome with victor takes it all framework and disposition

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Tell me, how often have you seen politicians work together and it actually benefitted someone other than themselves when they've done so?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Very true, especially when you have folks in the GOP saying and believing things like this:

Basically even if something looks good to the GOP, if it makes a democrat look good they probably won't work to pass it.

Surely you don't believe that is a one way street, do you?

The political climate took a hard turn for the worst when the GWB ran and won the office. Each passing year has gotten even worse.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

No.

Exist in reality and abide facts, and we'll talk. Live in delusion, and cooperation will only harm by operating in furtherance of it. The GOP continue to live in the belief the election was invalid and they've placed their trust in a proven liar and conspiracy theorist....I've absolutely no interest in dealing or compromising with these loons.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#16 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

As Ronald Reagan would say; government isn't the solution, it's the problem. A lack of competition in many districts creates career politicians who only cater to a specific base, groups who prefer scorched earth policy with no compromise to other parties.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

As Ronald Reagan would say; government isn't the solution, it's the problem. A lack of competition in many districts creates career politicians who only cater to a specific base, groups who prefer scorched earth policy with no compromise to other parties.

Aren't elections in US invalid if less than 50% votes?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#18 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@horgen: Depends on the election, and what sort of primary was conducted. Plurality is common in the United States.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 judaspete

@Stevo_the_gamer: This right here is a large part of why I think congressional districts should be mapped by an impartial commission, or computer algorithm, or something because politicians drawing their own districts leads to too many of these safe seats.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25

@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Surely you don't believe that is a one way street, do you?

The political climate took a hard turn for the worst when the GWB ran and won the office. Each passing year has gotten even worse.

I don't, but historically Democrats tend to be more bipartisan than the GOP. Not all the time, of course, because Dems can be assholes too.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9411 Posts

@judaspete said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: This right here is a large part of why I think congressional districts should be mapped by an impartial commission, or computer algorithm, or something because politicians drawing their own districts leads to too many of these safe seats.

....but how do you stop corrupt politicians from injecting their bias into the algorithm?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 judaspete

@pyro1245 said:
@judaspete said:

....but how do you stop corrupt politicians from injecting their bias into the algorithm?

Don't give politicians direct control of creating it. Look, I'm sure someone may figure out a way to undermine the process, but even an imperfect system would be harder to corrupt than our current method of just letting the politicians draw their own districts.

For an example, California has state districts drawn by a commission made up of 14 people; 5 Democrats, 5 Republican, 4 third party or independents. Nominees for the commission cannot have served in office, lobbied, worked on a politician's staff, or donated more than $2,000 to an elected candidate. They draw the map and must follow an extensive set of guidelines when creating the districts. Voters can turn overturn the map with a referendum if they don't like it.

This doesn't guarantee that no politician will ever manage to gain influence, but it would be very difficult to do so.

Here's more details if you are interested:

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting_in_California

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

No. Politicians who "work well together" tend to be politicians who will scratch each others backs. Bush and Obama were nice guys, pragmatic lead-from-behind types. Yet the Tea Party, BLM, and the alt-right were born out of them. You can blame Trump and current republicans/democrats for inflaming these groups all you want, fact is they have nothing to do with these groups being created in the first place. They are a symptom, not a cause.

People look at the 90's as a period of "people in government getting along" but was that a good thing? Our government was almost in universal agreement that the events in Waco and Ruby Ridge were completely legit and the government did nothing wrong. Gun sales went through the roof, firearms manufactures were actually running out of ammo because so many people were buying, then Oklahoma was bombed in what I believe is the most deadly domestic terror attack in our history. Our government got along during that time, but what good did it do? It created a deep distrust in our government that never wentaway. I know my view of government was solidified during that period.

I like leaders who takes stands, and politicians who aren't afraid to challenge him/her. Gridlock in Washington and politicians at each others throats is preferable politics to me. American system was designed that way.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattbbpl

@vl4d_l3nin: "People look at the 90's as a period of 'people in government getting along'"

Snort! Those people didn't pay attention in the 90s. That was the era of Gingrich.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vl4d_l3nin

@mattbbpl said:

@vl4d_l3nin: "People look at the 90's as a period of 'people in government getting along'"

Snort! Those people didn't pay attention in the 90s. That was the era of Gingrich.

Take off the partisan blinders. Politicians agreed on a lot more back then, and it planted some bad seeds.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl

@vl4d_l3nin: Gingrich was notoriously combative and led a notoriously combative Congress. If you believe the bad seeds were sewn in the 90s, it wasn't due to a high level of bipartisanship and cooperation.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eoten

@judaspete said:

There's no such thing as impartiality. So you'd have a group who may feign impartiality basically controlling the political future of the country. Who writes the algorithm? If you're so concerned with who is in office, how they get there, and how long they stay in, you should also be concerned with how much power "voters" give them every year. As Steve said in his Reagan quote, government is the problem, not the solution, and we wouldn't have the separation of powers that we do if our founders weren't aware of it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Eoten
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@mattbbpl said:

Take off the partisan blinders. Politicians agreed on a lot more back then, and it planted some bad seeds.

Like the housing bubble that collapse and gave us a massive recession, the Patriot Act, allowing China to enter the WTO. I agree, when politicians agree on something, it's to **** the rest of us.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrbojangles25

@eoten said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@mattbbpl said:

Like the housing bubble that collapse and gave us a massive recession, the Patriot Act, allowing China to enter the WTO. I agree, when politicians agree on something, it's to **** the rest of us.

Fair enough, but compromise doesn't necessarily mean absolute agreement (it's actually based on concessions). I'm not asking our politicians to collude, either.

I'm simply saying they can maybe work together a bit more for the benefit of their constituents. Maybe even put the country before their respective parties....now there's a thought!

I don't blame you and @vl4d_l3nin for being cynics--especially in light of the past 20+ years--but I do think the US government is one of the best things ever written down on paper, I just wish we could realize it and put it into practice while, at the same time, not be literalists.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By judaspete

@eoten: Like I said, there may still be corrupt people who are able to influence how the districts are drawn. But I can almost guarentee it would be an improvement from our current system, where politicians draw their own districts.

The housing bubble was created by banks and consumers. Most significantly was JP Morgan Chase creating the Credit Default Swap. The government's main role was to loosen regulations which allowed these riskier loans. The reason they did this is because banks lobbied hard for it. This is part of why I don't believe deregulation is always a good thing, and that there should be stronger limits on how much money can be thrown at politicians.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vl4d_l3nin

@judaspete said:

@eoten: Like I said, there may still be corrupt people who are able to influence how the districts are drawn. But I can almost guarentee it would be an improvement from our current system, where politicians draw their own districts.

The housing bubble was created by banks and consumers. Most significantly was JP Morgan Chase creating the Credit Default Swap. The government's main role was to loosen regulations which allowed these riskier loans. The reason they did this is because banks lobbied hard for it. This is part of why I don't believe deregulation is always a good thing, and that there should be stronger limits on how much money can be thrown at politicians.

Pretty sure Clinton AG Janet Reno set a precedent by threatening to prosecute lenders who didn't give loans to people who had low income. Lenders didn't really have much of a choice.

Ninetails82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ninetails82
Member since 2009 • 603 Posts

Compromise is what leads to things like those massive pork bills where it's basically everyone agreeing to spend on each others' pet projects, thousands of pages, passed overnight without anyone reading it or anyone in the press or the general public reviewing it. No thanks. Gridlock is better than that.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Not with extremists, no!

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

I think at this time we really need it. Unfortunately the far left and right will never allow it to happen. Just look at how most of the people act on this forum.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2147 Posts

Can't work with cultists, especially the ones who change their morals/ideology depending of who's in power.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By judaspete

@vl4d_l3nin: Oh yes. So floored by the awesome power of Janet Reno, Wall Street Banks had no choice but to continue her bidding years after she left office.

Look, there is a simple reason credit default swaps caught on like they did, they generated amazing returns on investment with low perceived risk. Housing prices had been steadily climing for decades at that point, and the longer that went on, the more banks wanted in. No one was forced into this practice, they were just following the money.

JP Morgan Chase created the credit default swap, but they ultimately realised they were a bad idea. So they sold them off and were largely unscathed when the whole thing blew up in everyone else's faces. In fact, in 2009 when the world was burning, their CEO told their investors they were having their best year ever.

Now, I'm not accusing anyone of anything nefarious here. I think lenders really thought this was a win-win for everyone. Poor people could get houses, rich people got a seemingly safe investment to put their money into. Unfortunately the risks eventually caught up.

My point is you can't just use "government is the problem" as a blanket statement for all situations. While government was involved with the financial crisis, it wasn't really the cause of it.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1855 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I’d rather republicans be less crazy, but I think the party will have to split for that to happen. There is a lot of middle ground between a moderate Republican and a mainstream Democrat.

But an evangelical southern conspiracy theorist Republican has nothing in common with anyone.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25

@Baconstrip78 said:

@mrbojangles25: I’d rather republicans be less crazy, but I think the party will have to split for that to happen. There is a lot of middle ground between a moderate Republican and a mainstream Democrat.

But an evangelical southern conspiracy theorist Republican has nothing in common with anyone.

I think this is the biggest thing we need to work on. Mutual understanding, compromise, and identifying where we are similar instead of different.

Sad we focus so much on our differences and stereotype. I'm guilty of doing that myself, though tbh I blame the media on both sides for this.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mattbbpl

@joebones5000: There are opportunities to work together without compromising your position if the other party is operating in good faith. A great example is a libertarian member of the Republican party working with the Democrats to decriminalize drugs. This is something Ron Paul did when he was in office. It's not always asking the firefighter to compromise with the arsonist.

Unfortunately, we're seeing more instances of politicians not acting in good faith, so they often vote against their own beliefs/positions anyway.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Speaking of cooperation, how did that work with this round of stimulus? No republicans voted for the bill, yet democrats by in large were on board with both of Trump's efforts in 2021. Tell me again how 'bOtH SiDez' are the same in their cooperation and dealings. It's lovely that they could sit on the sidelines and complain about federal tax breaks on children and unemployment insurance, yet turn around and present a bill that would eliminate the inheritance tax entirely.

What a joke.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan: Oh yeah, they're not operating in good faith. Once again, they sacrificed Americans' well being for political gain.