Male and female soccer national teams should not get equal pay.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 694 Posts

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/11/football/women-world-cup-cup-equal-pay-treatment-spt-intl/index.html

Because equal pay at this level equals taking money from the immeasurably more popular male soccer and putting in to female soccer, even though the audience is ten thousand times smaller.

Soccer is an spectacle, it makes money based on views, merchandise and marketing. The actor of an unpopular movie will not make as much money as the actor of a popular movie.

So comparing male and female soccer is not taking two equivalent situations in which the only difference is sex.

It's taking two radically different situations, in which income is radically different and transfering money from one to the other.

This is not equality, it's false equivalence.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

I agree overall, but there needs to be some sort of way to increase viewership of female sports.

Are male athletes/teams more popular because they're better? Or are they simply advertised more because of a larger budget?

Additionally, would female athletes/teams be more popular if there was more money spent on them?

As it stands now though, I am inclined to agree. I remember in high school the water polo players made a big stink because they didn't get the same acknowledgement the football players did, but the fact is maybe a few dozen people would go watch a water polo game (for free) while thousands of people would come to watch football games (and pay).

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nirgal

Well, most sports viewers are male and they tend to watch more male sports because they are aspirational (specially kids dream about become sports stars)

Women don't watch so much sports.

But i don't think women watching more sports is more egalitarian, people Have their own interests.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@nirgal said:

Well, most sports viewers are male and they tend to watch more male sports because they are aspirational (specially kids dream about become sports stars)

Women don't watch so much sports.

But i don't think women watching more sports is more egalitarian, people Have their own interests.

Not sure where you're from but in the States, women watch sports.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Additionally, would female athletes/teams be more popular if there was more money spent on them?

Women's lingerie soccer. Problem solved.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nirgal

@LJS9502_basic: women watch sports is an absolute statement, so it's really meaningless...

I might as well tell you people of Jamaica snowboard and that also would be true.

But do they watch sports as much as men do, do they spend as much money on sports as men do ?

It's easy to fall back on exceptions and make blacket statements but they only misrepresent the situation.

This is viewership by gender in the USA as of this year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1018814/sports-fans-usa-gender/#:~:text=Share%20of%20sports%20fans%20in%20the%20U.S.%202023%2C%20by%20gender&text=During%20a%20January%202023%20survey,19%20percent%20among%20female%20respondents.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

@br0kenrabbit said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Women's lingerie soccer. Problem solved.

Boom. Sold.

After all, it worked for women's arena football, right!?

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic

@nirgal: That doesn't show what you think it shows.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nirgal

@LJS9502_basic: If you think you have an argument for equal pay, you should say so. insinuating a mistake of mine without saying which one it is does nothing to further your view.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
@nirgal said:

@LJS9502_basic: If you think you have an argument for equal pay, you should say so. insinuating a mistake of mine without saying which one it is does nothing yo further your view.

Ah so you're up to straw man arguments now.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nirgal

@LJS9502_basic: at this point, it looks like you are just trolling me ..

How is asking you to clearly state an argument distorting your words?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nirgal

@br0kenrabbit: as much as i like the bodies of females athletes, that is super cringe...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

i agree there should not be equal salaries for women if their particular sport takes in significantly less revenue vs. the male version. the business would cease to function. they're different leagues with different size audiences and different structures, so that's fine. why should a pro surfer make the same as a pro football player when the audience for the latter is 3000 larger?

however, for something like a large tournament like the world cup or whatever and the same organization is paying both the male and female athletes for their performance, then the pay ought to be equal. for example if the women's teams wins the whole fucking tournament and the shitty mens teams gets knocked out in the group stage, why should the men earn 10x the pay for their performance?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nirgal

@comp_atkins: that is because revenue comes mostly from the male world cup.

Viewership, shirt sales, star status of the players is simply much higher.

The funny thing is that this could be resolved by simply selling the viewership rights for each word cup separately and then simply distributing revenue.

Originally this was not done, since it was understood that male football had to subsidize female football for it to remain operational.

If they consider that female football is similarly popular to it's male counter part and females players are treated unfairly, they could simply separate revenue sources.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3448 Posts

Male sports teams should subsidise female ones as it is clear that once they do viewership and participation increase. Equal pay I don't agree with, since we're talking about a huge disparity of generated income.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Women should try out for the male leagues. If they're good enough to play, then they should absolutely get payed the same. And from my experience with women here in the states, they don't watch sports. If they happened to be watching a game, it's strictly for the commercials lol.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

I think a lot of it comes down to marketing. Look how popular PC accessories and PC gaming have become amongst females in the last 5 years. I live in San Jose, the heart of Silicon Valley, and there are a lot of females who make mechanical keyboards and PC accessories now.

The biggest drive for this was instagram and tiktok.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

I think women sports is growing and football is one of those sports that can attract viewers due to the worldwide appeal of football. But having said that I feel there needs to be more exposure at club level first. Even the English Women Super League my fav club Chelsea's women team plays in front of 5k people at their ground. Only 5k for the most succesful team in England.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic

@nirgal said:

@LJS9502_basic: at this point, it looks like you are just trolling me ..

How is asking you to clearly state an argument distorting your words?

You're asking me to state an argument I didn't make. I corrected a statement you made. That's all.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

@joshrmeyer said:

Women should try out for the male leagues. If they're good enough to play, then they should absolutely get payed the same. And from my experience with women here in the states, they don't watch sports. If they happened to be watching a game, it's strictly for the commercials lol.

My mom is the most rabid 49ers fan I know. My aunt (her sister) the second.

I'm honestly kind of shocked I don't really enjoy watching sports as a result, and I'm a dude that played sports his whole adolescent life.

Anyway, I think women do watch sports. Maybe not as much as men but a significant chunk do. Would be curious to see some stats, I might be wrong, but almost all the women I know are bigger sports fan than I am lol.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I agree overall, but there needs to be some sort of way to increase viewership of female sports.

Are male athletes/teams more popular because they're better? Or are they simply advertised more because of a larger budget?

If anything it seems the female team receives the airtime and publicity over the men.

People are generally much more interested in male leagues than female.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@mrbojangles25: That's cool. Most of the people I hang out with or family aren't sports fans at all. They do Superbowl but that's about it. There are a few wife's that seem to be into sports(football, hockey) but I think it's more for the atmosphere or social aspect of it. Whereas I isolate myself for most football or hockey games so I don't miss anything lol. There's definitely woman fans out there watching male sports. But how many male fans are watching woman's sports (WNBA lol). Probably not many. I'm all for equality in the workplace when a job can be done just as effectively between genders. This business is different though. If you aren't good, or someone is better, you get cut. Nothing to do with gender or color or anything other than performance. You get paid based on skill and performance. In a way, I kinda wish my job was like that 😂.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrbojangles25

@joshrmeyer said:

@mrbojangles25: That's cool. Most of the people I hang out with or family aren't sports fans at all. They do Superbowl but that's about it. There are a few wife's that seem to be into sports(football, hockey) but I think it's more for the atmosphere or social aspect of it. Whereas I isolate myself for most football or hockey games so I don't miss anything lol. There's definitely woman fans out there watching male sports. But how many male fans are watching woman's sports (WNBA lol). Probably not many. I'm all for equality in the workplace when a job can be done just as effectively between genders. This business is different though. If you aren't good, or someone is better, you get cut. Nothing to do with gender or color or anything other than performance. You get paid based on skill and performance. In a way, I kinda wish my job was like that 😂.

Yeah the female sports fans I know aren't watching female sports, that's for sure.

@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

If anything it seems the female team receives the airtime and publicity over the men.

People are generally much more interested in male leagues than female.

I think it's part of the agenda various outlets are trying to push.

Not saying that as any sort of criticism or promotion, just an observation. I think female sports do need exposure and promotion, I just don't know if we need it crammed down our throat.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@mrbojangles25 said:

Not saying that as any sort of criticism or promotion, just an observation. I think female sports do need exposure and promotion, I just don't know if we need it crammed down our throat.

You could say that about a lot of current issues though.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

I bet many of the same people not wanting female athletes to receive equal pay are the same people who bitched that Hooters girls got to keep all the tips.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3486 Posts

It will never happen.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

I bet many of the same people not wanting female athletes to receive equal pay are the same people who bitched that Hooters girls got to keep all the tips.

I don't know what the second scenario is about, but the math just doesn't support the first unless we're talking about a fundamentally different industry structure whereby the scale between the two is pooled.

I'm not opposed to it, but it's important to be aware of. This is drastically different than the typical labor disputes involving someone in the same corporate structure fighting for a larger piece of the pie. These are different pies.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1405 Posts

Ok. Then the mens football teams pay should be reduced to match the womens salary.

@br0kenrabbit said:

Why? Doesn't make sense. Female models also make a lot more than their male counterparts.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I think it's part of the agenda various outlets are trying to push.

Personally I have zero interest in any of the mainstream sports nor any of the "newer" sports being pushed so I can only surmise the lack of interest in the female side is the difference in ability, excitement, etc.., and no matter how hard the media tries generating interest it doesn't happen. The salaries of professional athletes are, for the most part, disgusting but much more justifiable when the teams are generating exorbitant amount of revenue compared with those who can't fill an arena.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

@Solaryellow: yeah I don't watch sports--too much drama, too many commercials--so I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just curious what other people think of these things

I do agree the salaries are disgusting. We focus a lot on the huge amounts many make (and they do), but if you look at the salaries for a lot of football players like linemen or something, they don't make much. Especially given the fact that by the time their oft-short career is over, their bodies are going to be broken to one degree or another.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8311 Posts

I like sports

My dad likes sports

My mom likes sports

My sister likes sports

One thing we all have in common.

We don't watch woman's sports

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6954 Posts

It's a good business decision in the longer term.

Similarly in many male pro sports there are revenue sharing arrangements and minimum and maximum salaries (caps) that players can be paid. The reasons for these rules are related to the long term viability of these leagues and the overall maximizing of revenue.

Where exactly is the upside in men's sports from an advertiser and entertainment spending perspective? The untapped market? Maybe the premier league should add 20 more teams? Are the 191 national mens football teams going to be enriched if they finally get the Marshall Islands or Palau to field a team?

Women's sports has a far larger long term upside. Even Iranian women seem to grasp this better than most people in this thread.

Or do you watch only the men's Olympic events?