vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is setting a high bar for impeachment of President Donald Trump, saying he is "just not worth it," even as some on her left flank clamour to start proceedings.

Pelosi said in an interview with the Washington Post that "I'm not for impeachment" of Trump.

"Unless there's something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don't think we should go down that path, because it divides the country," she said.

While she has made similar comments before, Pelosi is making clear to her caucus and to voters that Democrats will not move forward quickly with trying to remove Trump from office. And it's a departure from her previous comments that Democrats are waiting on special counsel Robert Mueller to lay out findings from his Russia investigation before considering impeachment.

Instead, House Democrats are pursuing their own broad, high-profile investigations that will keep the focus on Trump's business dealings and relationship with Russia, exerting congressional oversight without having to broach the I-word.

Oversight and reform committee chairman Elijah Cummings, one of the lawmakers leading those investigations, said he agrees with Pelosi, and Congress needs "to do our homework." He said impeachment "has to be a bipartisan effort, and right now it's not there."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/impeachment-trump-nancy-pelosi-1.5052371

Originally she said she would wait until the Mueller probe officially wrapped up. I'm thinking she's been tipped off from someone involved.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

Does she have any grounds to impeach Trump on?

I am still very skeptical of the whole Russia Controversy.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

Good. She's old enough to remember the Clinton administration, and smart enough learn from other's mistakes. Beat Trump at the ballot box.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: You linked a CBC article? A leftist government propaganda outlet?

Good lord. CNN would have more credibility - and they’re fake news!

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@Maroxad: No. This whole time since Trump took oath the Dems have had nothing.

She has no grounds to impeach Trump.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

It's a game, and impeachment has (recently) put one player at risk more than the other. She's smart to balk at impeachment given how close 2020 is.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts
@judaspete said:

Good. She's old enough to remember the Clinton administration, and smart enough learn from other's mistakes. Beat Trump at the ballot box.

I think these people who want impeachment are mostly young millennialswho don't know these things.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58430 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@judaspete said:

I think these people who want impeachment are mostly young millennialswho don't know these things.

Yeah, they want it to be illegal to be an asshole, an impeachable offense.

It's not illegal.

Nothing we can really do about it except vote and, perhaps more importantly, work at the local and state level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think Pelosi is taking a logical and pragmatical approach to this. She wants to focus on the democratic congress and getting things done as opposed to a drawn out legal battle on impeachment. I agree with the sentiment that it is better for the country to remove a president at the ballot box. I dont like Trump or his policies, but that's not reason to impeach someone. Removing an elected official from office is a huge deal as it removes a person from office who was placed there by the people of the country. I think too many of these recently elected, young democrats who ran on the platform of impeaching trump have hurt the cause. The Mueller report has still not been released. We have no idea what is in it or what it can demonstrate. That's incredibly irresponsible for some of these politicians to push that without having any of the evidence available. I agree that if the Mueller report shows egregious illegal behavior by the president, that impeachment can be initiated. but it's likely going to be a long drawn out legal process that will be incredibly divisive. Much better to defeat him at the polls for legitimacy sake. Plus, Pence would be next up. Yeeesh.,

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

@sonicare: I don’t think it’ll matter what the Mueller report finds. I honestly believe it could have documented proof of collusion and even treason and the GOP (and especially Trump’s base) wouldn’t budge an inch. They are holding onto to the last shreds of propriety of a democracy so long as the benefit of the doubt remains. If they were found out, I believe they’d not raise their hands with a white flag in them, but instead button down the hatches, sighing deeply in relief that they no longer have to maintain pretense while they prepare for war.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

any impeachment attempt would die a partisan death in the senate anyway.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: LOL hope you don´t actually believe that.

Pelosi and the Democrats would impeach Trump faster than you can say, Anastasia something Cortez, if they had control of both chambers and didn´t face a sure defeat in the Senate.

Pelosi saw what happened after the scam they tried to pull with Kavanaugh, so they don´t want to risk anything that may "prevent" them from winning in 2020.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

any impeachment attempt would die a partisan death in the senate anyway.

It doesn't get to die a partisan death in the senate, if the House doesn't impeach.

It's one thing to say that Trump's actions don't actually warrant impeachment yet. If that's the case then yeah, don't impeach.

But I hate the idea that impeachment is warranted, but that no one's going to do it just because the Republicans will kill it in the Senate. The end result of that line of thinking is that the Republicans don't kill it in the Senate, and the House ultimately ends up not doing their jobs by letting Trump get a free pass.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

I can understand not moving to impeach right away, but it needs to be done. Chances probably aren't good that he would be removed from office, but then you'd get Senate Republicans on the record as having had a chance to remove this clown and refusing to do it.

@Maroxad said:

Does she have any grounds to impeach Trump on?

I am still very skeptical of the whole Russia Controversy.

So Pelosi is a traitor as well?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127520 Posts

I'm guessing 2020 election is coming up quicker.