Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 707 Posts

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/03/tech/tiktok-european-data-china-staff/index.html

I personally don't know why they are allowed to operate outside of china, foreign social media is not allowed within china.

This amounts to protectionism and has no counter side from other countries.

Plus it allows sharing of personal information of your population with the biggest police state in the world.

If they want to allow it due to free speech they should at least de monetized the platform.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I'm way more surprised that CNN is actually saying something critical about China than their stating of the obvious that Chinese tech companies share data with the CCP, which I'm pretty sure everyone knew. For a news company, they're about 10 years behind the rest of us in knowing that.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Never used tiktok is it even good? I mean I do use facebook to keep contact with old friends.

Anyhow kinda weird people downloading commie apps. Is there no competitor in that space?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Never used tiktok is it even good? I mean I do use facebook to keep contact with old friends.

Anyhow kinda weird people downloading commie apps. Is there no competitor in that space?

Vine I guess, but that no longer exist.

Tiktok is rather extreme with gathering data, and well being operated from China, media at least, tend to be more negative about it.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Did anyone actually read the article?

Check the 4th paragraph.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

My wife loves the TikTok.

And The voice...

Not a fan of either

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@sargentd said:

My wife loves the TikTok.

And The voice...

Not a fan of either

My oldest daughter loves doing TikTok and I hate TikTok cause it's just not for me. This was clearly made for Gen Z. My wife however doesn't care for it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@nirgal said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/11/03/tech/tiktok-european-data-china-staff/index.html

I personally don't know why they are allowed to operate outside of china, foreign social media is not allowed within china.

money.

that answer is, as always, money.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@kadin_kai said:

Did anyone actually read the article?

Check the 4th paragraph.

That US employees as well as employees in other countries have access as well if needed?

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@horgen: Yup. I think it’s fair play.

But then again, I do hate TikTok. I believe it has a negative impact on children’s attention span.

Been off GS for a while, hope all is well with you.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@kadin_kai said:

But then again, I do hate TikTok. I believe it has a negative impact on children’s attention span.

All is well, thank you. I hope it is the same for you.

US spying on everyone and everything isn’t news. The rest of the countries mentioned I can’t really comment on.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3457 Posts

TikTok is pretty fantastic for the MAGA cringe. Love to watch white trash there.

But I just second hand watch it. Right now I'm not using any social media, I was using Twitter mostly for the video game news but in the last week my timeline became a shit show so good luck with that.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 707 Posts

@kadin_kai: well i think it's clear who owns the company and who decides which employees have access to the information.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@horgen said:
@kadin_kai said:

US spying on everyone and everything isn’t news. The rest of the countries mentioned I can’t really comment on.

Countries all spy on each other.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Eoten

@horgen said:
@kadin_kai said:

It's not just the US spying though. It's most of the western world to varying degrees. There are the "five eyes" countries which includes the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK making up the major part of global surveillance by the west. This extends out into the "nine eyes" which expands into France, Denmark, Norway, and Netherlands (yes, your country is corroborating with that global surveillance program" which expands out even further to the 14 eyes group including Germany, Sweden, Italy, Belgium, and Spain. Fully encompassing the core of the EU, and almost the entirety of the former British empire.

The rich and powerful spying on everything you do is a fact of life going forward that is never going to go away. And if you think they're doing it to serve YOUR interests, and not their own, I have a bridge to sell you.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator

@eoten said:

It's not just the US spying though. It's most of the western world to varying degrees. There are the "five eyes" countries which includes the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK making up the major part of global surveillance by the west. This extends out into the "nine eyes" which expands into France, Denmark, Norway, and Netherlands (yes, your country is corroborating with that global surveillance program" which expands out even further to the 14 eyes group including Germany, Sweden, Italy, Belgium, and Spain. Fully encompassing the core of the EU, and almost the entirety of the former British empire.

The rich and powerful spying on everything you do is a fact of life going forward that is never going to go away. And if you think they're doing it to serve YOUR interests, and not their own, I have a bridge to sell you.

Again nothing new.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eoten

@horgen said:
@eoten said:

Again nothing new.

Just because this is not new doesn't mean we should blindly allow and accept it. Everyone should be against government intrusion into our daily lives and realize that their claims of doing it to fight some faceless enemy, like "terrorists" is just an excuse. And just like western governments intrusion and surveillance on their own citizens is no better than China's, our media, like those, are no more independent from the same "rich and powerful" that created our surveillance state's as China's media is from theirs.

Nobody in our country, or Europe even talks about it anymore. It's become so normalized that people have either given up on caring about it, or have convinced themselves it must be happening for our own good. This is why we talk about TikTok sharing data with China as if the idea of a tech company sharing data with a government is new or surprising.

It kind of makes me wonder... Are we actually becoming more like the CCP... or is it worse, they're becoming more like us and we've become too desensitized to see that we're probably worse?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

Honestly any company that has operations in China is suspect for compromise I think it's a safe assumption any western company that does business there is vulnerable to it.

That aside, even the Cambridge Analytica scandal just illustrated most the big social media companies make user data open to third parties without any kind of safeguards to who or what they access is already a vulnerability across the board.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts

People keep trying to get me to use TikTok. I keep telling them I don't even use the social media accounts I already have why add another.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eoten

@lamprey263 said:

Honestly any company that has operations in China is suspect for compromise I think it's a safe assumption any western company that does business there is vulnerable to it.

That aside, even the Cambridge Analytica scandal just illustrated most the big social media companies make user data open to third parties without any kind of safeguards to who or what they access is already a vulnerability across the board.

Just remember one important thing. Nothing is free. If you're not paying for it, YOU are the product being sold.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3457 Posts

The world is connected, for the best or for the worst it won't differ from what it always was, information is power. That being said it's not a subject that concerns me that much.