blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16597 Posts

So we're finally at the point we were all expecting since last year. Will you go back to the office or give your boss the finger and look for employment elsewhere?

The one upside with the covid for me was wfh. No commute, no parking costs, much less food costs. For others, it allowed them to take care of their kids or do chores around the home.

It's going to be super hard to give it up, and I'm sure lots of workers will give their bosses the finger to work somewhere, where they do have more flexibility. Then again, wfh also opens up to ofshoring to India and other countries

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

I've been in the office for the most part for the duration of this, so yes.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

Never left the “office”. Can’t work from home.

I won’t be surprised if businesses that allowed people to work from home, continue to do so. Must be cheaper for the employer. Less upkeep costs to keep an office running, less heat/AC, lighting, water. They could downsize offices and encourage employees to work at home.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

Was working from home before covid, so o change here.

My wife will probably keep working from home, whereas before she had to go to the office tho.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

I had to work during Covid, but I drove, it was sooo nice when streets were empty, and everyone who used bus seems to be driving now too. Traffic suuuucks now.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23053 Posts

I'll be back in August.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9432 Posts

I went back a few weeks ago.

Told them I hope they appreciate the quality of life sacrifice I am making, made them give me a raise and buy a bunch of fancy monitors and other desk stuff.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23053 Posts

@joebones5000: I don't mind it, but I'm a little passed this year. I made it clear to them that I'm using commute savings to partially make up for the wage freeze and benefit cuts.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Been back at work since last July. They have our teams compartmentalized and we all go home if anyone in our group gets sick. But between all the masks and other protocols, I've only been sick once this passed year.

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#11 deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

I never left

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I currently work in an office (new job) and I am trying to find a new job that allows me to work remotely. I have many reasons, but one of them is to cut out 80 minutes or more of driving a day.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

Interesting that this is in the political section. That is the problem in America. It became a political issue.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

@SOedipus said:

I won’t be surprised if businesses that allowed people to work from home, continue to do so. Must be cheaper for the employer. Less upkeep costs to keep an office running, less heat/AC, lighting, water. They could downsize offices and encourage employees to work at home.

Same. We never shut down lol, we just kept working.

As for working from home, I'd love to see it continue. Unfortunately there's this weird idea that people aren't as productive from home, or they are somehow taking advantage of it; a lot of employers are going to force people to come back to the office. I think it is bullshit and would love to work from home (if I had that kind of job), and frankly if the work is getting accomplished, who cares where it is getting done?

Save on commute, save gas, cut down on pollution, save our roads, and allow people to balance their home-work life a bit better (especially if you have kids).

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I haven't seen the office for last two years. Nice to work from home. Can watch movies, play games, read books etc while working.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

i'd go back at least part of the week. wfh is nice but the downside is you can always be at work. it's been harder to delineate work time from home time when your home is your work. spent waaaay to many nights lately working 10pm-1am or so when under normal circumstances in the office, i never really did that. home was home and work was work.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

Lost my job as a Business Analyst within three months of getting the position due to covid last year, but luckily I start again next month.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127527 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Should increase payment to workers though.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

I don’t plan to ever go back. Wfh has been too nice in the IT field.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@comp_atkins said:

i'd go back at least part of the week. wfh is nice but the downside is you can always be at work. it's been harder to delineate work time from home time when your home is your work. spent waaaay to many nights lately working 10pm-1am or so when under normal circumstances in the office, i never really did that. home was home and work was work.

I dont understand this mindset. For me, if my work ends at a certain time, no matter if im in the office or im at home, then i stop working, i really don't give 2 shits about anything else.

Unfortunately I have coworkers who are like you, and they piss me off so bad. Its annoying to get work notification at 8pm when my shift ended at 5pm and the task is supposedly due in the morning. Sorry, but im not touching it or even looking at it until I wake up in the morning.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
@mrbojangles25 said:
@SOedipus said:

Same. We never shut down lol, we just kept working.

As for working from home, I'd love to see it continue. Unfortunately there's this weird idea that people aren't as productive from home, or they are somehow taking advantage of it; a lot of employers are going to force people to come back to the office. I think it is bullshit and would love to work from home (if I had that kind of job), and frankly if the work is getting accomplished, who cares where it is getting done?

Save on commute, save gas, cut down on pollution, save our roads, and allow people to balance their home-work life a bit better (especially if you have kids).

yep...im saving around $500 a month on parking and food costs. Time costs is even more, almost 4 hours commute time shrunk to 0. It sucks balls to wake up at 6:00 in the morning to get into the office by 8:30, and like you said theres the savings on gas, pollution, road maintenance. More WFH is better for everybody, since the traffic is also reduced and those that need to go into the office have an easier time.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127527 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@comp_atkins said:

I dont understand this mindset. For me, if my work ends at a certain time, no matter if im in the office or im at home, then i stop working, i really don't give 2 shits about anything else.

Unfortunately I have coworkers who are like you, and they piss me off so bad. Its annoying to get work notification at 8pm when my shift ended at 5pm and the task is supposedly due in the morning. Sorry, but im not touching it or even looking at it until I wake up in the morning.

Don't burn yourself out here @comp_atkins. Do as Blazn does. Once work is over, it is over. Don't think about it until next work day.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56401 Posts

I never left the office since the pandemic started and we all been wearing mask since than. Once the vaccine became available, we're still wearing mask but hopefully we won't have to if things aren't bad here.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#27 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I've been going back to the office for a while now. We still have the option to work remotely, but the remote desktop connection they give us to our dev machines is so bad that it isn't worth it.