10 game series you recommend anyone/newbies to must play or get into?

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

The other day a kid was asking me for recommendations as he knows I love gaming with a passion.

1.Resident Evil series

2.Metal Gear Solid series

3.GTA series

4.Uncharted series

5.Burnout series

6.God of war series

7.Complete Half Life

8.Yakuza series

9. Mass Effect OG trilogy

10.Devil may cry series

10 game series you recommend anyone/newcomers to must play or get into?

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Pokemon as an entry level JRPG.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#3 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19629 Posts

Action-adventure - Zelda

Adventure - Ace Attorney

Beat 'em up - Streets of Rage

Fighting - Street Fighter

FPS - Unreal Tournament

Horror - Resident Evil

Platformer - Sonic

Racing - OutRun

RPG - Final Fantasy

Stealth - Metal Gear

Strategy - StarCraft

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

If a little innocent cherub faced child, ignorant of the inevitable evils of world asked what game to play, probably try to steer him/her away from modern AAA games where their undeveloped brain would be distracted by production values and poisoned by modern design and business practice, towards something universally solid that's stood the test of time like the original Doom, Quake, or Super Street FIghter II.

If push came to shove and the little bastard wanted to play a modern game, probably steer them towards Halflife: Alyx, as it's highly accessible, well-designed, cutting edge, evolution of the genre and devoid of shitty business practice.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17847 Posts

Some series i think everyone should try. some of these i dont even like much personally but still think they are worth a shot. i can see the appeal of them. Note: in no particular order.

Animal crossing: it's just...odd but its also so laid back and relaxing. i dont know what the switch one is like (on the backlog) but the ds and 3DS ACs were great. just don't try and cheese it. relax..take it easy. if you are fretting over hoarding stuff and moving the time forward all the time to try to get things faster then you are kind of missing the point.....or maybe you aren't. it's animal crossing...you do you :).

Ys series: Rock bottom production values and primitive graphics. even the latest one looks like a vita game running at a high resolution. but don't let that put you off, its a great gem of an RPG series. I have played about 5 of them at this stage and the worst i have played (origin) is still a very solid game. dont start with that one though. fun combat, enjoyable exploration, tales that are more interesting than they first appear and generally just good fun. they can range from brutally difficult to "i wanna just wail on monsters after work" too depending on the setting you choose. Celceta, 8 and 9 are great places to get started in (the stories are not really connected. 9 is maybe a little more connected but you wont lose much by not playing the others).

Souls games: i dont get on with this series but i can see the appeal so i still recommend trying one of them (DS 1 still seems to be the go to). if you do like them then there is a lot of gaming to get stuck into.

Total war games. truly grand strategy. Massive armies colliding. Empires to be managed. the warhammer setting has given it a breath of fresh air too but Rome Total War (got a remaster recently) is also a strong point.

X series (space sims): think older elder scrolls games...in space. you are given a ship....do whatever you want. dont buy one when it launches though. they can be in a bit of a beta state. X4 is in pretty good shape now though. like Ys, they are made on a tight budget but its a monster of a game under the hood. also you dont need to play the previous games (seriously...that would take a life time :P).

The old isometric bioware/Black isle games. I just finished BG 1 there recently (nearly finished the expansion too) and it holds up surprisingly well still. just 2 things really annoyed me: traps and the layout of some maps needing long waits to get from one place to another. BG2 is even better and IWD1 and 2 are great (more dungeon focused though). Planescape torment is also brilliant.

Monster Hunter series. Epic games. slay giant monsters, craft weapons and armour then slay even bigger monsters. Monster hunter world is an excellent introduction to the series too. it also has a wacky sense of humour. i mean it knows what it is...people go around slaying giant monsters while wielding comically oversized weapons in power ranger armour....and it embraces it whole heartedly. but its also an excellently well crafted game under the wackiness.

i'm too lazy to think of more :P.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

If a little innocent cherub faced child, ignorant of the inevitable evils of world asked what game to play, probably try to steer him/her away from modern AAA games where their undeveloped brain would be distracted by production values and poisoned by modern design and business practice, towards something universally solid that's stood the test of time like the original Doom, Quake, or Super Street FIghter II.

If push came to shove and the little bastard wanted to play a modern game, probably steer them towards Halflife: Alyx, as it's highly accessible, well-designed, cutting edge, evolution of the genre and devoid of shitty business practice.

When I was a kid I wanted to play what was the best and modern at that time. Time moves on. Doom and Quake may have been groundbreaking games at that time, but there are much better modern games now. Doom and Quake are kept alive thanks to modders.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts
@IgGy621985 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

When I was a kid I wanted to play what was the best and modern at that time. Time moves on. Doom and Quake may have been groundbreaking games at that time, but there are much better modern games now. Doom and Quake are kept alive thanks to modders.

Doom and Quake hold up today because their design is basically masterful. Even without modding, they would stand up. Much like Street Fighter II (though iterated upon) is still played today.

They may be trumped from a technical perspective, but as games, it's like saying (here it comes!) Citizen Kane is outclassed because something something... Christopher Nolan deep, man. Dream within a dream bla bla...

If somehow manage to breed and inject my seed in a womans womb, creating a little me. I would want him or her to play games I consider objectively top tier as opposed to the latest shit "because it's new".

Old games do erode, becomes superseded. Show their faults more transparent with time. But Quake, Doom and Street Fighter II (various iterations) are games like Chess, people will play them for decades, possibly centuries further.

Modding and re-releases helps in this regard, but the core game themselves unassisted stand on their own.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Yazuka is a great series with the best spin off in any series.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

- Chrono Trigger/Cross

- Final Fantasy

- Dragon Quest

- Super Mario

- The Legend of Zelda

- Gears of War

- Halo

- Forza

- Street Fighter

- Bayonetta

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Final Fantasy 14.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts
  • Final Fantasy
  • Persona
  • Dragon Quest
  • Golden Sun
  • Tekken
  • Pokemon
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Yakuza
  • Mario Kart
  • Uncharted
  • TLOU
NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

If you’re into story driven games, the Shenmue series is a must

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

Yazuka is a great series with the best spin off in any series.

Agree completely my freind

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

I had never been into JRPGs until Persona 3 on PS2, it was pretty good, but same time I couldn't break out into other JRPGs as others just couldn't compare. I'd recommend these games for anybody looking for a good JRPG to break ground in the genre with.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

1. Halo

2. Tekken

3. Quake/UT

4. Smash Bros

5. THPS/SSX

6. Forza

7. SMT/Persona

8. Half Life

9. Donkey Kong Country

10. Ninja gaiden/Bayonetta/DMC

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

My go-to will always be the Super Mario games, in particular the 3D games.

I look forward to my nephew getting a little older so I can introduce him to it.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You can call these series good tastes for gamers

• Resident Evil
  • Fallout
  • Starcraft