Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

Hello! Has anyone else enjoyed this? I was hyped for it for awhile, but tbh ever since smash bros messed the fighting game genre up, it’s really hard to maintain momentum for a fighting game. Street fighter 5 was really terrible at launch, but I hear towards the end it was a decent product. But 6 has been unreal, the world tour mode adding legit single player value(best since melee adventure mode imo), the matchmaking is buttery smooth, the net code is great, and the roster is very extensive with no characters feeling like filler.

What do you guys think, are fighting games coming back?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts

Dunno, but Maroxad quit the game within 2-3 weeks, and never got good in it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22809 Posts

Haven't played street fighter since the snes and arcade.... Vanilla Street fighter 2 or bust....

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3740 Posts

SF has been ruined by parrying. I won't even bother.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

SF6 seems great, haven't played it. Would it not be littered with microtransactions, paywalls, season passes, etc. I'd be game. As it is now, fighting games are a headache to deal with, so I just don't.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mercenary848

@tjandmia: It is what it is. I’m Diamond 2 guile and I still want to hit masters for sure. I think of parry like super smash bros bubble shield, just got to tune it out. But people don’t know how to block anymore and just parry in neutral. Drive rush is fun though

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mercenary848

@Litchie: Certain skins are expensive, but the base game as is is highly enjoyable and you don’t need to purchase anything. All the maps and characters minus the two that dropped in the last 5 months are all free. Capcom network is actually really smooth too.

The vanity stuff can be pricey though like ninja turtles skins, but you don’t need that

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

Yep, the game is fantastic for sure. Unfortunately they’ve been screwing it up with the pricing of the alternate costumes/skins. The cost of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ones were particularly disgusting. Not only are they charging too much they are also doing the typical ****ery with the Fighter Coin system. The kind of manipulation where things cost 300 FC but you can only purchase a minimum of 250 with the next purchasable bundle being 610 FC. A real shame that they’re doing this.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mercenary848

@Archangel3371: I paid 6 bucks for the guile skin. Was never into the mutant ninja turtles stuff, and I think those were only useable in world tour.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

@Mercenary848: That stuff should be cheaper in my opinion. The prices just seem so out of whack in comparison to the price of the actual game. The Turtles stuff was useable in World Tour but also in Avatar battles. I played WT and did Avatar battles. Would have been nice to have those costumes especially since I’m a huge TMNT fan but there was no way in hell that I was paying those prices. Funnily enough I think more people would probably spend more money on these things if they were more reasonably priced. I don’t have that kind of data available to me though so who knows.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Yup, still play the game a lot today :3

My go-to game after a tough assignment at work.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

@Mercenary848: Minus the two that came, and all other ones that are coming. Plus more things.

Could wait until I can get the full game for 60 bucks or less, but by the time I can, it's probably time for SF7, so I won't. As long as fighting games are being sold in a million pieces (even after paying full price), I'll just pass on them.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

I bought the game at launch and enjoying the base game without skins and dlc characters.

The game is worth every penny as there's so much to experience. I never get bored of the players' intro animation that's done very well.

Personally one great fighting game per gen is enough for me. I won't be buying Tekken next year as I am more than contended with SF6.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

@danishanwar: I had opposite experience, got super bored of SF6 after about 5 weeks. Kind of regret buying it, sp modes aren't really what I'm into, wish I would have waited for the complete edition of it at least.

Looking forward to Tekken 8 big time, it's my favorite fighting game franchise

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3490 Posts

Step aside Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8 is going to be the gold standard of fighting games this gen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts

Barely touched it. The launch left me in a foul mood and further solidified my "no more AAA purchase" mentality.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mercenary848

@Maroxad: nice! Who’s your main? I think sw used to have a nice little fgc scene back in the day when 4 came out.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mercenary848

@danishanwar: Nice, glad to hear you are having a similar experience to mine

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mercenary848

@sargentd: I’d give it a revisit. I wasn’t blown away after the first few weeks. But then I took a break and got back to it, and honestly the game gradually has been improving as people learn to play. Also there’s no one or two characters that dominate and the meta is wide open.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mercenary848

@omegamaster: For next year I really hope so. I liked 7 but it didn’t hold me like sf6 did.

Off rip tekken 8 being 100+ gigs sounds like an automatic con for me wanting to buy

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

@Maroxad: nice! Who’s your main? I think sw used to have a nice little fgc scene back in the day when 4 came out.

Dee Jay, love the tricksy playstyle.

SatoriHanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SatoriHanzo
Member since 2023 • 20 Posts

I've been playing since it came out. I was never great at fighting games but always wanted to learn. Tried with sf5 but wasn't patient enough at the time. Now after 5 months, and tons of hrs in training, I'm proud to say I'm 5 star platinum with Jamie. It hasn't been easy, but damn, it's been a lot of fun. Hopefully I can make it to masters

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Nah, stopped playing SF after 4, not really into them anymore.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

I'm struggling with inputs. I'm sure I'm doing the combination correctly but maybe to slow or to fast. Long story I suck and I don't know how to fix my problems lol. Love watching high level matches though

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts

@stacweed11 said:

I'm struggling with inputs. I'm sure I'm doing the combination correctly but maybe to slow or to fast. Long story I suck and I don't know how to fix my problems lol. Love watching high level matches though

Just spam shit with modern controls. I saw soccer moms dominating on youtube, so you can do that as well.

SatoriHanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SatoriHanzo
Member since 2023 • 20 Posts

@stacweed11: I had trouble for the longest. I learned you gotta really make sure you deliberately press each button. Timing is also a factor. I recommend going in training mode and setting the game speed to half, then practicing your combos. That alone really helped me figure out the timing

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Best game this year

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24988 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Best game this year

Resident Evil 4 remake.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

The key to excelling at SF6 is parries. Anyone can learn to attack. Modern combos has made it easy. But a solid defence makes the difference between champs and noobs.

The match between Kakeru and AngryBird at Gamers8 is the perfect example. Just look at those beautiful perfect parries from JP against Ken. His solid defence bagged him half a million dollars.

Loading Video...
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46484 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Best game this year?

Resident Evil 4 remake.

ftfy

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Best game this year

Resident Evil 4 remake.

Great game. Street Fighter 6 better.

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Best game this year?

Resident Evil 4 remake.

ftfy

It's the same post

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mercenary848

@satorihanzo: Bro get it! Jaime is the hardest character in the game to learn, plat 5 Jaime is like Diamond 3 on everyone else

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mercenary848

@jg4xchamp: Agreed bro! I am almost masters and I’ve never grounded out ranked this hard in a fighting game. Tekken 8 will have to be phenomenal, but I see me playing sf6 for the next few years.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm a huge Street fighter fan. It's basically what takes up 90% of my gaming time.

However, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with 6.

Pros: Meter management with the drive bar is a brilliant concept and I love the combo flexibility.

Cons: It's way to aggro and the best aspect of fighting games (Neutral and footsies), is overshadowed with powerful neutral skip mechanics like drive rush and drive impact in addition to the age old jump. Because you cannot split your focus to all of these, it encourages a lot of "just do it" until something sticks and you steam roll into a victory (I can't believe they brought back throw loops). Drive rush is definitely the biggest offender. It is too little risk for too great a reward. I prefer the slow, methodical neutral game of cat and mouse where you have to be diligent and bait your opponent into whiffing a normal and punishing.

It's strange. All the things people hated so much with SFV in the beginning were slowly removed and improved upon throughout its many years until it became a game that most everyone could say is a fantastic fighter. Then they release SF6 and bring a lot of what they spent so long moving away from back to the forefront.

Having said that, this is the first iteration of SF6. The first iteration of any fighting game is usually pretty rocky. I'm sure they'll find ways to stabilize the game in future seasons.

I haven't touched the single player content outside of training mode.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Haven't played street fighter since the snes and arcade.... Vanilla Street fighter 2 or bust....

This was unironically the game played most on the Switch. Got ripped the **** off, but in the end still got moneys worth.

Just checking, still charging £34.99 lol

-

As for Street Fighter 6, had a very, very bad experience trying to get it working. Really soured it for me. This was partly due to buying both this and RE8 at launch with both being borked for months on end. Haven't bought a AAA game at launch since.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3740 Posts

@danishanwar said:

The key to excelling at SF6 is parries. Anyone can learn to attack. Modern combos has made it easy. But a solid defence makes the difference between champs and noobs.

The match between Kakeru and AngryBird at Gamers8 is the perfect example. Just look at those beautiful perfect parries from JP against Ken. His solid defence bagged him half a million dollars.

Loading Video...

Parry - what a horrible and absolutely disgusting game mechanic. Push some buttons and magically your opponent's attacks don't matter. Makes me sick.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

Still not as good as Rise of the Robots.