Anvil Next 2.0 Wins Best Game Engine of This Gen For Me.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I was blown away by the Red Engine 3. Apart from few short comings like TXAA, Tesselation etc, the engine gave us amazing visuals and performance in an open world game. However, I think Anvil Next 2 took it to the next level. While you might prefer aesthetics of other games, technically I think Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is the best looking game out there (overall).Amazing world, great looking characters, solid performance and optimized streaming technology. Every moment of this game was just breathtaking.

Not to mention that once a Console centric franchise now feels like as if it was designed from ground up for the PCs. You have great controls, a lot of customization options, built in benchmark system, FOV (in a third person game) and last but not least, FREAKING MANUAL SAVES in an Assassin's Creed game. It has more customization options than PC games from late 90s and early 2000s (normally seen as golden age). This gen has been a blessing for gaming as a whole especially PC because of ever growing PC market and PC architecture of Consoles. Almost every major title is made with high end PCs in mind and then ported to Consoles, and Anvil Next 2 powered games like Assassin's Creed: Odyssey are a very good example of it.

Well done Ubisoft.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#2 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Between Anvil and Snowdrop, Ubisoft have some excellent engines on their hands

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24978 Posts

4A engine say hi.

I have played AC origins and imo it looks terrible and play like crap too. like worst AC game ever.

i cant see odyssey any different and its more RPG means more crap. and now far cry is becoming RPG thanks AC origins and odyssey success.

next splinter cell will be open world RPG will be more ruined than before. ubisoft love following trends only.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

4A engine say hi.

I have played AC origins and imo it looks terrible and play like crap too. like worst AC game ever.

i cant see odyssey any different and its more RPG means more crap. and now far cry is becoming RPG thanks AC origins and odyssey success.

next splinter cell will be open world RPG will be more ruined than before. ubisoft love following trends only.

I've played all of the core AC games and I can safely say that AC: Odyssey is by far the best in the series with the exception of AC II. The thing is it all comes down to the game's main character, I played it through as Alexios, not the bloke-bird Kasandra and although he's seriously cheesy, he's cheesy in the same way (but not as in your face or quite as funny) as Duke Nukem and that makes the game very enjoyable.

As for graphics, especially on PC, Assassin's Creed has always been cutting edge. Even today's console struggle to match the detail of Paris in AC Unity maxed on PC. It's only really DICE who can properly compete in an un-modded game. You may not like the games, just like I have no time for DICE's Battlefront games, but to say they look "terrible" only makes you appear foolish.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@GarGx1 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

4A engine say hi.

I've played all of the core AC games and I can safely say that AC: Odyssey is by far the best in the series with the exception of AC II. The thing is it all comes down to the game's main character, I played it through as Alexios, not the bloke-bird Kasandra and although he's seriously cheesy, he's cheesy in the same way (but not as in your face or quite as funny) as Duke Nukem and that makes the game very enjoyable.

As for graphics, especially on PC, Assassin's Creed has always been cutting edge. Even today's console struggle to match the detail of Paris in AC Unity maxed on PC. It's only really DICE who can properly compete in an un-modded game. You may not like the games, just like I have no time for DICE's Battlefront games, but to say they look "terrible" only makes you appear foolish.

odyessey does looks good but origins has bad graphics. i only play origins for half and 1 hour and uninstalled it. terrible game. the combat is bulletsponges type that i hate so much.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

decima engine

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

Assasins Creed visuals are about the only thing that's impressive about the franchise, unfortunately.

Too bad the engine can't go to more talented people.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Assasins Creed visuals are about the only thing that's impressive about the franchise, unfortunately.

ever since Clint hocking (a man behind early splinter cell and far cry 2) left. it was downfall of ubisoft. and then popularity of assassins creed lead to the destruction of other ubisoft games.

clint hocking was genious. both SC chaos theory and far cry 2 were brilliant.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

ever since Clint hocking (a man behind early splinter cell and far cry 2) left. it was downfall of ubisoft. and then popularity of assassins creed lead to the destruction of other ubisoft games.

Hmmmmmm......

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Hmmmmmm......

far cry 2 was great game. a far cry game with no cutscene or hand holding or arrow show where to go.

it feel alot like Stalker. the weather effect was by far best. it was imo one of the best game ubisoft has ever made. and also one of the best open world game ever.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

Far Cry 2 sucks

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17450 Posts

Digital Foundry and Hardware Unboxed disagree with you.............and I agree with them.

Sure, the game looks great (Im currently playing through it now), but the draw distances of shadows and foliage are horrible......even on max settings.

Not to mention the game is horribly optimized.

Game is amazing though, but I think the engine still has the foundation of the original AC games.

They should use a more modern engine like the Snowdrop engine. At least it is optimized for multiple cores without buckling performance.