Are AI voice over mods legal or ethical?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 704 Posts

Lately I have been thinking about the possibility of using ai to create mods to add voice over to games that are either not fully voiced or are only voiced in one or two languages.

These kind of mods would be extremely helpful for people with impaired vision, dislexia or non native speakers interested in acquiring a new language.

I don't think it will be high quality enough to compete with professional voice actors but it does seem like it can potentially greatly improved some users experiences.

What do you think? Do you think it would be ethical If done without charging? Have you heard of some of these mods already existing?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Yes and no. Well, not sure about the legal aspect. But ehtical? Yes and no.

In fact I'm playing a game right now that's almost entirely AI voiceovers. Spacebourne 2

It's pretty good. Very indie and a little rough since it's still early access, but given the size of the team and their budget, I don't blame them one bit for using AI voiceovers.

I don't dismiss AI out of hand entirely; it can be a valuable tool to assist many facets of life. I just don't like it when it is used to create "original" content. I think there needs to be that "x factor" of human creation initially, but after that, whatever...if you want an AI voiceover to translate your original script to a different language, go for it.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4387 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yes and no. Well, not sure about the legal aspect. But ehtical? Yes and no.

In fact I'm playing a game right now that's almost entirely AI voiceovers. Spacebourne 2

It's pretty good. Very indie and a little rough since it's still early access, but given the size of the team and their budget, I don't blame them one bit for using AI voiceovers.

I don't dismiss AI out of hand entirely; it can be a valuable tool to assist many facets of life. I just don't like it when it is used to create "original" content. I think there needs to be that "x factor" of human creation initially, but after that, whatever...if you want an AI voiceover to translate your original script to a different language, go for it.

same here.

i been messing with ai art atm.

from free to use data. i gotten some wth images. in the best way possible

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout2/mods/67?tab=description

I saw this voice restoration mod for Fallout 2 (fully voiced, no AI used) back in february and it blew my mind.

Unfortunately Youtube took it down because it wasn't a video about a gorgeous woman doing geeky stuff that has millions of hits for some reason.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

Seems to me this will be standard in a not too distant future. For indie studios it's really amazing. Clearly it's the differenc between having voiced characters or not. It also makes it so much easier to edit scenes, test different lines etc. Sucks for those working as voice actors, but I don't think they can stop the future for long.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

Just think, soon this can be a reality.

Loading Video...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

You can try

Bard (google.com)

Ask it to write any kind of text. Then press the speaker icon at the top right of the reply. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2085 Posts

Tbh as long as an AI voice over is disclosed as that then I don't see an issue ethically, legally is another question and I'm guessing there would have to be some sort of modulation done to stop a voice being an exact copy of a likeness or something along those lines, I.E using AI to create a parody voice that uses the same tones, inflections and cadence as someone else imo would be 100% fine and legal, using AI to create a voice that was almost indistinguishable from the original far far more dicey.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

Whenever there is new or emerging technology, there will be legal issues to be addressed.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I'm just sitting here waiting for someone to put David Hayter's voice in MGS5.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Whenever there is new or emerging technology, there will be legal issues to be addressed.

and ethical.

I'm always reminded of Alfred Nobel and TNT when things like this come up.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

As long as you're not using ai to copy someone's voice. Especially someone in the industry.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

@faponte13: I am unsure whether using someone's voice in a parody will cause issues, except the person. I know that parodies of copyrighted works are not subjected to copyright suits.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nirgal

@mrbojangles25: it's interesting to see that indie games are being made this way already. I wonder If it will end up influencing the top down crpgs and jrpgs I like so much.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

@onesiphorus: its unethical. legally? It's up to the courts but if it to me it should be illegal.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I agree with your stance saying how you can forgive smaller indie developers with tiny budgets for using AI voiceovers. But if AI voice acting goes mainstream, I can totally see large AAA mega-publishers using it it as well (despite these mega-publishers being worth billions and can easily afford professional voice acting) and defending themselves with some nonsense excuse like “we have analysed and evaluated the needs of our customers, and we have responded by implementing groundbreaking innovation to achieve our goals and visions” or some other garbage like that, lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19625 Posts

@lavamelon: AAA games are very expensive nowadays. AI voice acting could help bring budgets down.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nirgal

@lavamelon: maybe they can have a mixed system in which the voice actor does most of the work and is paid extra to license his voice for use in the game for the less important dialogue or the dialogue That is changed last minute.

After all, the voice actor doesn't only provides the voice. It provides the acting. I don't think ai can easily reach that level.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I think the AI chat bot implementation is more impressive. They couple that with the AI text to voice too and early examples iv seen of it in Skyrim and that open world Matrix, city, tech demo, game thing are pretty impressive. You can basically walk up to npcs and talk directly into your microphone to them, ask them questions and they will answer them like chatgpt and the likes do while staying in character and with full voice.

Loading Video...

Example of CHATGPT implementation in Skyrim:

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nirgal

https://www.eurogamer.net/uk-actors-and-equity-are-battling-the-rise-of-ai-driven-deepfake-mods

There is currently an article in Eurogamer about the his topic. The main issue seems to be the illegal use of the voice of actors and actresses.

Its interesting, can a voice be copyrighted?it's hard to tell. Many voice are very similar, some of them could be the same and even a person's voice will change as they age.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Sounds funny. A Trump voice mod playing characters in video games. XD