ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/03/atari-vcs-delayed-again-after-swapping-out-amd-hardware/

In a new blog post, the Atari VCS team explains that the delay is down to a decision to swap out older AMD hardware. The console, which was originally built around 4K capability, 60fps and HDR support, was built off AMD's Bristol Ridge APU, which launched back in 2017. It wasn't the most powerful gaming APU then, with Anandtech finding it was barely capable of hitting 55fps in GTA 5.

On low settings, at 720p.

So for a console that wants to run modern and classic games, the upgrade makes a lot of sense. The new APU chip from AMD will be a dual-core Zen offering with onboard Vega graphics. They also add that the product is currently unannounced, rather than being one of the existing 14nm AMD APUs currently on the market (like the Ryzen 3 2200U, which would fit the bill for this).

The APU upgrade will have a fairly substantial impact on developers. The existing Ryzen APUs already had a significant amount of headroom compared to the older Bristol Ridge line: the 2200G was at least capable of holding above 30fps at 900p in more modern games, in some instances getting nearly double the performance of the older chip. A newer APU again would get further performance bumps still.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I completely forgot this thing existed at this point, I have more faith in google.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#3 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19643 Posts

Atari still trying to stay relevant.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

lol..better not ask for more money.. xD

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ronvalencia

@npiet1 said:

I completely forgot this thing existed at this point, I have more faith in google.

Microsoft, Sony, Google and Atari are AMD's design wins.

References

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/09/googles-project-stream-cloud-gaming-will-use-amd-radeon-graphics/

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Atari yeah didn't know they were here... it's not bad though probably there's something for us to gain.

I'd be happier if they ressurected CEC to a high point though because birthdays could be pretty special. there..

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

Is this that krowdfunded train wreck that no-one asked for?

it plays old games! Wow. My watch can do that. Oh and you want to compete with the biggest corporate machines?

Nothing if not ambitious.

Better keep changing the design so it's always a step behind.

Atari < this is what Atari is. A word. You can buy if for about £2mill I'd say if you want to flog something.

Not a router
Not a router

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Is anyone looking for this garbage always thought it was a scam.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I was looking forward to this (not enough to kickstart or preorder though), but someone put out an interesting YouTube video a while ago claiming that Atari’s business model might be just scamming backers...and they might be right.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19643 Posts

At this point, Atari is just a brand name, with barely any real connection to the original Atari. It's now just another name for a French company that used to be called Infogrames. And ever since Infogrames re-branded itself Atari, the company got struck by the Atari curse and went downhill.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ronvalencia

@Jag85 said:

At this point, Atari is just a brand name, with barely any real connection to the original Atari. It's now just another name for a French company that used to be called Infogrames. And ever since Infogrames re-branded itself Atari, the company got struck by the Atari curse and went downhill.

Atari 2600 has MOS (Commodore Semiconductor Group) 6507 CPU and custom video chip-set designed by Jay Miner's team. Jay Miner's team later designed Amiga's and 3DO's video/audio chip-sets. Commodore later given ATI's first large PC OEM contract ahead of Commodore's in-house video chip-sets.

Atari ST has Digital Research's GEM OS 68K, Motorola 68000 CPU, custom video and Yamaha audio chip-sets (similar to PC's Adlib).

Atari's value revolves around custom media chip-sets.