Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Quotes are loose terms as far as I'm concerned

Nintendo Everything

Two decades ago, Capcom released the 3D fighting game Power Stone. Although it hasn’t gained as much recognition as some of the company’s other IPs, it does have a cult following. And although the series has been dormant for quite some time, producer Takeshi Tezuka has some interest in bringing it back – and possibly on Switch.

Speaking with The Guardian, Tezuka said that fans still ask him to this day to create a new Power Stone title. He said that he’d be interested in making that happen if the opportunity presented itself, and it would be a “great fit” for Switch.

Tezuka’s full words:

“We weren’t just aping current trends or reiterating what had come before, and that has contributed to its lasting appeal. I still get messages from fans about the game. People tweet requests to me to make another Power Stone, which I’d love to do if I got the chance. It would be a particularly great fit for the Nintendo Switch.”

Pardon me for sounding bitter, but Capcom has a reputation on the Switch that, minus a few games (mainly Mega Man 11 and Street Fighter 30th), is NOT good otherwise. They're behind EA, so I'm worried whey they say "perfect match for Switch".

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

this looks interesting.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

Would be better on any other console. Switch already has SSB.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Powerstone was the shit back in the day, but putting 3 on the Switch is odd considering the size of the play field and the camera panning out to keep everyone on screen, it would be nearly impossible to detect projectiles and see the characters clearly.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

Make it happened Capcom! I played the hell out of Power Stone games on Dreamcast and as well on PSP version. Power Stone on PSP was perfect for it's time when PSP was in it's primes, if I were Capcom, I'd release Power Stone Collection on Switch and see how it sells and if long time fans will buy it before developing a new Power stone game.

I just wanna see my long time favorite character WangTang making a comeback again.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

So what are they going to remaster or port to the switch for it? That is the real question.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

So what are they going to remaster or port to the switch for it? That is the real question.

I say, just port the PSP version and see how it sells on Switch would be the safest thing and should be feasible to do.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nintendoboy16
@davillain- said:
@Ant_17 said:

I say, just port the PSP version and see how it sells on Switch would be the safest thing and should be feasible to do.

Knowing Capcom, they'd put the first game on cartridge only and second game on download, while only PlayStation and XBOX owners get the entire thing physical, albeit split into two discs.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nintendoboy16
@r-gamer said:

"Nintendo fans having options? F*** them! Only Herms/Cows/Lems deserve more options..." Basically what you just said.

Coming from the guy that reminds others that Capcom is s*** on Switch!

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R-Gamer

@nintendoboy16: Its cool if it comes to Switch... just don't make it exclusive.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'd rather see a reboot of Dino Crisis with Regina first but good for fans.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

How long since the last game? More than ten years?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44354 Posts

I only played Power Stone once very briefly on the Dreamcast but it seemed like quite a fun game. I’d be down for a new one on the Switch myself.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Capcom actually want to make new game for switch instead of ports. This is quite a surprise.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Dude a new Powerstone game would be a day 1 purchase for me. Been waiting since the DC era for this one. This game got more attention from my brother and I than all the other DC games convinced lol.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#16 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

Oh please let it happen Capcom. The Power Stone series was one of the best brawlers during its time. And while your are at it, have a thought of bringing back other dormant IP's you have such as Megaman Legend, Megaman X, Megaman ZX, Megaman Star Force (or a spiritual successor to it), Dino Crisis (remake of 1 &2 or sequel (3? we don't talk about 3)), Dark Stalker, etc.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19634 Posts

Well, Power Stone falls under a similar fighting subgenre as Smash Bros.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16
@Jag85 said:

Well, Power Stone falls under a similar fighting subgenre as Smash Bros.

*looks at gameplay of Power Stone, then looks at Smash*

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jag85

@nintendoboy16: Fighters who can freely move around an interactive arena and use power-up items in 2-4 player melee battles. How is that not the same subgenre as Smash Bros? The difference is, of course, Smash Bros is pseudo-2D, whereas Power Stone is fully 3D.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Nah, just make it a multi-plat on all the consoles + PC.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16
@Jag85 said:

@nintendoboy16: Fighters who can freely move around an interactive arena and use power-up items in 2-4 player melee battles. How is that not the same subgenre as Smash Bros? The difference is, of course, Smash Bros is pseudo-2D, whereas Power Stone is fully 3D.

And Power Stone has more markings of a traditional fighter, where Smash doesn't, which makes the latter's debate all the more longer lasting.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Metallic_Blade said:

Sorry that's just too simple of a concept, and your logic has no place in society, someone burn this person at the stake :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@Metallic_Blade said:

Sorry that's just too simple of a concept, and your logic has no place in society, someone burn this person at the stake :P

Consider it done.
Consider it done.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:@Jag85 said: @nintendoboy16: Fighters who can freely move around an interactive arena and use power-up items in 2-4 player melee battles. How is that not the same subgenre as Smash Bros? The difference is, of course, Smash Bros is pseudo-2D, whereas Power Stone is fully 3D.

And Power Stone has more markings of a traditional fighter, where Smash doesn't, which makes the latter's debate all the more longer lasting.

Almost anything that can be done in Power Stone can be done in Smash. They share a lot of the same mechanics. I always lumped into the same genre anyway, a 2D and a 3D arena brawler.

Anyone remember Heavy Metal: Geomatrix? It had more shooter elements and a completely different aesthetic, but actually played similar to Power Stone as well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That *might* convince me to get one. HNNG

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jag85

@judaspete: There was also Ehrgeiz, which was the first 3D arena brawler. While the first 2D arena brawler was The Outfoxies. In a way, you could say Power Stone was like an evolved Ehrgeiz, while Smash Bros is like an evolved Outfoxies.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

@Jag85: Never heard of Outfoxies. Will have to look that up.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3091 Posts

As long as it built around powerstone 1 and not 2...I'm in!

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts
@judaspete said:

@nintendoboy16 said:@Jag85 said: @nintendoboy16: Fighters who can freely move around an interactive arena and use power-up items in 2-4 player melee battles. How is that not the same subgenre as Smash Bros? The difference is, of course, Smash Bros is pseudo-2D, whereas Power Stone is fully 3D.

Almost anything that can be done in Power Stone can be done in Smash. They share a lot of the same mechanics. I always lumped into the same genre anyway, a 2D and a 3D arena brawler.

Anyone remember Heavy Metal: Geomatrix? It had more shooter elements and a completely different aesthetic, but actually played similar to Power Stone as well.

I've played both and Powerstone seems way more casual friendly than Smash which is probably why I loved it so much.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mtron32
@r-gamer said:

Would it actual sell on the other consoles? Seems tailor made for Switch

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By R-Gamer

@mtron32: Powestone? I think so. Although I'm bias I'd buy it day one. Absolutely loved that game on the Dreamcast.

I just think it would be great online and the Switch online is dead.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jag85

@judaspete: Outfoxies was essentially a proto-Smash with 2D sprites. Outfoxies was an arcade game developed by Namco a few years before Smash. Which might be why Nintendo got Namco to make later Smash games.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mtron32
@r-gamer said:

@mtron32: Powestone? I think so. Although I'm bias I'd buy it day one. Absolutely loved that game on the Dreamcast.

I just think it would be great online and the Switch online is dead.

I can see your point, Switch online isn't that high and TBH I'd much rather this be played LAN style with friends than online. Online these days isn't much fun with no voice options.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Wow I hope this happens . I loved this game on the Dreamcast

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

Power Stone is as much brawling as Unholy War on the Playstation used to be, only better and with more options to win the matches. It's also on a much more powerful console for the effect.

Rakugaki Showtime had more depth than both, but it was a sprites game taking place in 3D, from Guardian Heroes developers Treasure. That Playstation title was expanded into Advance Guardian Heroes, that is, it used some Rakugaki Showtime gameplay elements skinned into former Saturn IP. Treasure was known for continuing their IP with a new framework, like Gunstar Super Heroes on the GBA was more Alien Soldier than its own prequel.

This is how they evolved Rakugaki Showtime as an arena fighter into a scrolling one in Advanced Guardian Heroes, and this is how Nintendo used their platforming gameplay to make Super Smash Bros, but what was Power Stone known for before it showed up all of a sudden? Capcom had nothing prior to it: it's just a free form fighting game with party elements and platforming.