Crystal ball time: will Nintendo announce the Switch 2 next year?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Crystal ball time: will Nintendo announce the Switch 2 next year? (33 votes)

Yes 48%
No 52%

The Switch turns 6 years old next March. Six years is pretty old for a platform, especially a Nintendo one. And that’s not considering that the Switch was a gen old when it launched lol. Do you think Nintendo will announce the Switch 2 next year, SW? I have a feeling they will, but it may not launch until 2024.

• 
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

I think they will with a Christmas 2023 Release....maybe March 2024. I also suspect that MP4 will be a switch 2 game rather than a switch game and a new 3D Mario platformer will be a launch title.

No idea what they are going to do with it though. Just a switch 2 (another hybrid)? Hybrid with VR ability (because i would pay good money for MP4 with VR). A more traditional console and release a new smaller switch model to cover the handheld side (highly unlikely)?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Voted yes out of desperation.

Hope so man. Give zero shits about them pushing for higher resolutions. Just please, make a system that plays Nintendos own exclusives with better performance. Most of their games run well, but damn, if I'm gonna play Zelda and Platinum stuff on there, give me the frames.

You're probably right about 2024, but we need that shit asap.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7202 Posts

Super Nintendo Switch March 2024

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7271 Posts

I predict 2024. Personally, I hope they wait until they can release something roughly on-par with the Steam Deck, but smaller and with better battery life. That may take a few more years though.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45114 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

Hope so man. Give zero shits about them pushing for higher resolutions. Just please, make a system that plays Nintendos own exclusives with better performance. Most of their games run well, but damn, if I'm gonna play Zelda and Platinum stuff on there, give me the frames.

😆 Yes, I really hope they can somehow auto upscale existing games for the Switch 2.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

😆 Yes, I really hope they can somehow auto upscale existing games for the Switch 2.

No doubt they could do something awesome, like that Xbox enhanced BC, but... Nintendo.

Gonna be charging full price for Switch re-releases.

They really should do standard BC at least, make the Switch 2 jump feel more like a continuation than a reset. Think we're at a point where the broader audience expects it now. Normie won't be thrilled about dumping their existing library.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

No doubt they could do something awesome, like that Xbox enhanced BC, but... Nintendo.

Gonna be charging full price for Switch re-releases.

They really should do standard BC at least, make the Switch 2 jump feel more like a continuation than a reset. Think we're at a point where the broader audience expects it now. Normie won't be thrilled about dumping their existing library.

Yea I agree, it should feel like a continuation. I wonder how they are going to handle the original Switch owners tho lol.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

It will interesting to see if Nintendo goes with the Gameboy approach and keep the switch name for the next system.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I have been saying it for like 4 years that they will announce and release it next year. Cringehot89 disagrees. He wants it to come out in 2026.😁

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44179 Posts

Voted “Yes”. I thinks it’ll definitely be time then. Hopefully it’ll be fully backwards compatible with the Switch.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#11 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Nintendo Shit 2 is long overdue. They can't launch it soon enough. Fucking trash tier hardware Nintendo puts out since the Wii.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: after 2024, Nintendo will announce it. Launch in 2025. Compare the Xbox one which released in 2013, it took 7 years. I'm expecting the same for the switch. Plus, the switch is still pretty popular now, so I'm not sure people will be willing or excited for one. Not to mention the inflation and possibly recession coming up, it's probably not a good time. 2024 should be good though.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@SolidGame_basic: after 2024, Nintendo will announce it. Launch in 2025. Compare the Xbox one which released in 2013, it took 7 years. I'm expecting the same for the switch. Plus, the switch is still pretty popular now, so I'm not sure people will be willing or excited for one. Not to mention the inflation and possibly recession coming up, it's probably not a good time. 2024 should be good though.

Even the popular Wii lasted just 6 yeare.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: announced for 2023 and launch in 2024/2025

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

2025 and Metroid Prime 4 will be the big cross generation game like Breath of the Wild was for Wii-U and Switch.

No mid-gen hardware refresh or anything like that for a Pro model.

True blue successor using a clear cut name like Switch 2 that will be a nice jump over the existing hardware power wise but still fit into the Nintendo mindset of being sold for profit, battery life improvements getting a strong focus, and keeping the same basic online structure with a few more bells and whistles added in that ultimately don't amount to much.

8 years on the market as Nintendo's primary platform and about a year of full cross generation support with another year getting some cross generation support taking it up to a 10 year life cycle before Nintendo shifts focus entirely onto the Switch successor.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

Something tells me they won't make a traditional console any time soon, and will stick with a mobile system like Switch.

Not sure if Steam Deck is enough of a rival to warrant them feeling like they need to match its specs or capability, but it'd be neat if they did and offered it at a lower price.

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

They won't. I'm sure they could, but they won't. They'll just make you purchase it all over again. Nintendo craps on their customers and calls it chocolate mousse.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58971 Posts

I think. (i'm hoping) in the next 2 years they will announce a remaster of Virtual Boy Wario Land at a semi - AAA game.

Mainly to see if Nintendo users will actually buy it.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5251 Posts

Interesting that some hardcore gamers think that Nintendo cares about them. They are going to be disappointed when they find out.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23913 Posts

Yes.

Nintendo consoles usually have a successor every 6 years. Every console since the N64, had a successor after 5 years. Barring the Wii, which had a successor after 6 years.

I dont think we will see a Switch 2 release, but announcement is really likely.

The longest lasting Nintendo console: The Famicom was succeeded after 7 years. The Super Famicom was announced 4 years into the NES's lifespan.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

Botw2 (or whatever that damn thing is called. i always forget) is coming out in 2023. Do you seriously believe that this kind of titles will be primarily sold and marketed as a Switch title, a system that cannot handle 3D graphics? That'd be a really garbage decision.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

Botw2 (or whatever that damn thing is called. i always forget) is coming out in 2023. Do you seriously believe that this kind of titles will be primarily sold and marketed as a Switch title, a system that cannot handle 3D graphics? That'd be a really garbage decision.

Can you believe that the original BoTW was on the Wii U?!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Yes, the Switch has been out since 2017.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

I'm not really fussed when they announce/ release the Switch successor... as long as it's 100% backwards compatible and a worthwhile upgrade that maintains the hybrid format, I'll buy it day 1.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3225 Posts

As much as I like the switch, Nintendo really needs to make a new console. I know that it will not come out on 2023 but it should be released on early 2024.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

Announced next year for a 2024 release with Mario 3d game of some sort being the big launch game. Might be announced late 2023. Now reason to have it come out next year has system sales are still strong and Splatoon 3 boosted them some and zelda will most them again next year being they will not fall of to soon. A 2024 release I think would be soon enough to not let sales fall of to much and to keep the momentum going into next gen. Hopefully we will get a new DK game by than to. Its a crime that after the master peace that was DKTF that we have not had another DK game yet being that early next year will make 9 years.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

Deep down i really do hope that the Switch keeps selling a ton and Nintendo "doesn't see the need" for their next system until 2030. I'd be lying if i said that i am not enjoying seeing miserable ports on that system. Its just funny that a system can be this far behind its competition. Without the Switch being the main system from Nintendo, there wouldn't be anything to talk about but 343i incompetency and shovelware on GP.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15999 Posts

I don't see it happening. The Switch is still performing well in terms of sales, so to introduce a new console wouldn't make much sense.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@dracula_16: You wouldn’t wait for a console to go down in sales too much before releasing a successor. PS4 was selling good when PS5 was released. You want to sell a successor when the previous system is still selling okay.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

Nah, Nintendo is too wimpy for that.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34613 Posts

I very much hope so. But it depends on how much the Switch sells. They don't need to replace something that still do.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Switch sales are waning, and already peaking. That will be the right time to tell your investors that new hardware will be announced. You can’t make the same mistake from Wii to Wii U and wait too long for a new console after peaking.

Titles like Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4 look they will struggle to run on base Switch Hardware, and I always assumed that Prime 4 was going to skip the Switch. The memory bandwidth in the switch has is too weak to help games run at 60 fps without sacrificing resolution and 4K is becoming more mainstream

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7166 Posts

if they do according to nin fans it will be competing against ps6 and not ps5.

to make it look like it out sells the ps6 by then.

just like switch is winning against ps5. lmao

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

New hardware will be released next year, following Nintendo's pattern.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

Are we all excited for another slow drip feed of NES, SNES, and N64 games?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gifford38

@templecow90999 said:

Are we all excited for another slow drip feed of NES, SNES, and N64 games?

I know nin could be the best if they just had a service like ps now and gamepass with nes,snes, n64,cube games on there. imagine all the zelda and mario games?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mesome713

@gifford38: Nintendo already has one, almost 40 million subscribers.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38

@mesome713 said:

@gifford38: Nintendo already has one, almost 40 million subscribers.

but both sony and nintendo are dumb not to include there old games from cube to nes to snes.

nin should have every zelda and mario.

sony games like resistance, motorstorm and more.

My question is does nin still make it separate pricing?

is snes games one online price and nes another.

or is online one service?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mesome713

They’ll add more with time. Over saturation of games is bad for business and consumers.