Did we peg console gamers right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2428 Posts

Person 1:

This was his best thread and one of the few times he ever made sense. Probably because these are modern-era games being discussed, he actually played them all not just the declined versions or remakes made 20 years later, and for once had adequate context.

Me responding to person 1:

Think most console players are like that because their options for old games are so limited. Either the game isn't available for the current or last gen console or they do have the system but the game is out of print and expensive. So they become used to only playing the modern. He got rid of his PC for a fucking PS5, so is fully in that way of thinking.

Person 3 responding to me:

That's the practical reason, but there's also an ideological one.

PC gaming in some ways represents a more freedom-based mindset. Many people prefer PC gaming because of the freedom it entails (mods, source ports of old games, etc etc) even if it ends up being more hassle sometimes. That mindset alone requires a level of self awareness about the industry that the average gamer lacks. When you're being spoon fed all the propaganda pumped out by the gaming industry - that everything is innovating and advancing, that games are more fun than ever, and that you're getting good value when you pay $60 for a 3 hour long game with $100 worth of microtransactions available on day 1 - it becomes very easy to be complacent and play whatever they spoon feed to you. Console gamers who resist that and start to think for themselves more naturally develop a more free and open mindset, especially if they seriously want to explore older games (and not crappy remastered versions). Then, naturally, they often become PC gamers by pure accident, just by their own growth and independence and being held back by consoles.

This is why I believe there aren't many intelligent console gamers who take the hobby seriously. People either buy into the gaming propaganda, or they don't really care enough about gaming to really explore what it has to offer. The ones who do cease to be console gamers.

On a side note, I have recently been playing the new-ish Perfect Dark sourceport. It's amazing. I had never played the game before and I'm honestly shocked and baffled that a game that old (running on the N64 no less!) can look that good and contain so much content and gameplay. What a blast! Meanwhile my housemate has been playing the Xbox 360 remastered version, and it looks like a tacky high-res texture and model pack lazily slapped on the game, it looks horrible, and the free-aiming mechanic just doesn't work all that well with the thumbsticks of modern controllers (modern controllers are largely garbage, but that's a different discussion).

I find it baffling that I can play a game in 60FPS, with original/authentic graphics, with high precision mouse inputs that feel amazing and have a great time for free thanks to community effort, and Microsoft can't even get a professionally-made port of one of their greatest games right (that they bought, not made). It's very telling how woefully abhorrent console gaming truly is.

One of Gamespot's most active members:

I will leave gaming before i go retro. I want the next big thing, something wasn't possible 10 years ago, and not some 2d side scroller from 87.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I would say console gamers have been given a pretty good pegging here.

A lot of it comes down to price and experience. I reckon most gamers eventually come to the conclusion PC is the best place for them to play, but it's not immediately obvious when you're starting out, since PC is not as heavily marketed and certainly feels more expensive at first.

Then there's the lifestyle arguments - convenience, TV and sofa oriented design, etc.

Not sure I get the context, though... Something to do with old games?

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2428 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:

Not sure I get the context, though... Something to do with old games?

Thread is about Dark Souls II. The thread author that person 1 talked about praised the game. He only plays new shit.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61504 Posts

What a fucking bizarre thread... It's SW, stick to the systems.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9571 Posts

What? How about we don't try to pile everyone into one box... lol. I'm primarily a console gamer and have never had any of those issues. Play consoles, PC, mobile, and whatever the hell else you want to play, the rest is just semantics. Nothing wrong with picking one, or doing what I do and pick all of the above. Time, budget, and interest dictate on a per person agenda.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44258 Posts

Not sure what this thread is suppose to be but it doesn’t seem like appropriate System Wars material to me.

Give yourself a pat on the back and have a cookie I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6164 Posts

I've never been pegged in my entire life thank you very much.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52441 Posts

What cringe.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

Why are they talking shit about the Xbox 360 version of Perfect Dark. It's amazing. I've put a ton of time into both the original and they graphical update.

As for:

I will leave gaming before i go retro. I want the next big thing, something wasn't possible 10 years ago, and not some 2d side scroller from 87.

First, I'm the complete opposite. I've been finding it more difficult to find modern stuff I like. I love retro gaming though.
But that line "something that wasn't possible 10 years ago". This has been part of the issue for me. Out side of graphics (just about), what in modern gaming wasn't possible 10 years ago? Outside of bringing more advanced simulation capabilities to consoles of course, for example, MSFS or Forza Motorsport.
I'm not seeing anything significantly different. Honestly to me, few look a generation better than last gen games.
jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 674 Posts

The PC gaming sector doesn't help itself by not having decent enough pre-builds. Your average gamer does not want to find out what is the best processor or graphics card, he doesn't want to worry about whether his RAM is good enough. He does not want to worry if his PC is future proof.

With consoles he can buy a PS5 or an Xbox and he knows that the machine if future proof until the next one is out and they are cheaper.

Give me an $800 PC that I know I can play on PS5 specs for the next five years and I will consider it. But I, and other gamers, cannot be arsed to check out specs of PCs to see what one is the best for my gaming needs. It is lazy, I admit it, but PC gaming would be bigger if it was perceived as being less hassle for the consumer.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts
@jcafcwbb said:

The PC gaming sector doesn't help itself by not having decent enough pre-builds. Your average gamer does not want to find out what is the best processor or graphics card, he doesn't want to worry about whether his RAM is good enough. He does not want to worry if his PC is future proof.

With consoles he can buy a PS5 or an Xbox and he knows that the machine if future proof until the next one is out and they are cheaper.

Give me an $800 PC that I know I can play on PS5 specs for the next five years and I will consider it. But I, and other gamers, cannot be arsed to check out specs of PCs to see what one is the best for my gaming needs. It is lazy, I admit it, but PC gaming would be bigger if it was perceived as being less hassle for the consumer.

I've been looking into it. Although I'm going to upgrade my PC myself.

So far I'm thinking an AMD based AM5 motherboard for future proofing, because with AMD, you'll be able to upgrade to newer CPUs for years to come. I think AM4 lasted from 2016 to 2022. Last I checked Intel motherboards only work with a few generations of CPU.

For future proofing, really I'd base it on todays needs, BUT make sure your motherboard is the part which will last well into the future, because then it's just a matter of upgrading CPU or GPU etc when or if you'll need to down the line. And there's always a lot of 2nd hand parts options available.

I'm just going to get a Ryzen 5 6/12 CPU I think. I just think anything more is overkill for me. I haven't had a lot of issues with my 4/8 2012 i7.

As for RAM, IDK. It'll be DDR 5, but I'm not convinced speed makes much of a difference at 5Ghz plus.

That's really it. As for "how long it'll last?". Well my current PC is using a 2012 i7-3770.

The majority of games aren't super demanding, because the majority of PC gamers don't have super powerful PCs so it's not worth alienating them with higher system requirements.

I get what you're saying about pre-builds. But I'd just say, just make sure the motherboard is amazing. Because in my experience it's the limitations of the motherboard which becomes a pain in the ass when upgrading.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1403 Posts

This is why I believe there aren't many intelligent console gamers who take the hobby seriously.

*thinking of all the mp games ruined by PC-cheaters*

Yeasure...

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts
@jcafcwbb said:

These are all great arguments for buying a console.

I'd just add that nobody really wants anyone to move from console to PC, outside of the storefronts. It just happens to a lot of gamers, without any marketing. If you feel the same way, great. If it doesn't appeal, fine.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8429 Posts

I just play games for fun and I don't take it seriously. I can surely get lost in a good game, but I really can't determine that outcome until I start playing a game. At the end of the day I have a life outside of games, and when the medium gets stagnant I just carry onto other things when life gets uneventful, gaming might be an option to fill in that time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69643 Posts

@robertos said:

Console only gamers are scum. PURE scum.

Good job. You just made PC gamers look like scum.😂

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10466 Posts

jesus, person 3.

as far as bad takes go that's going to take some beating

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1000 Posts

@Pedro said:
@robertos said:

Console only gamers are scum. PURE scum.

Good job. You just made PC gamers look like scum.😂

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59056 Posts

Video games.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8429 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Video games.

I agree.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2520 Posts

Gaming is such a strange hobby. The entitlement and tribalism is probably worse than any other hobby I’ve participated in. Gaming is the only place where the folks that call themselves “enthusiasts“ or ”hardcore” know the least about the tech, the least about the production process, spend the least amount of money, dismiss the most popular games, have limited experience to legacy consoles etc etc etc. In all other hobbies those folks would be called “casuals.” Fair weather fans. But in gaming all you have to do is pick a side and make a bunch of noise on social media and you’re in the club.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371

@robertos: U mad bro? 😅

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Robertos
@Archangel3371 said:

@robertos: U mad bro? 😅

I'm a PC King. Anger is beyond me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371

@robertos: You’re also an insecure liar apparently as well. Kind of shameful. 😅

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Robertos

@Archangel3371 said:

liar apparently as well

What did I lie about?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Archangel3371

@robertos: Think about it. 😅

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22726 Posts

Yikes... This is not a system wars thread and thus needs to be closed... Please settle all forum disagreements with witty humor and clever posting as opposed to directly making threads trying to drum up something with another user. Never ends well.