PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8495 Posts

A feature of RTX IO is finally released as part of Direct Storage 1.1. People usually say that Nvidia likes to lock features to their hardware which is true to a degree but not always. Most of the time their proprietary APIs exist because only their hardware can support it.

Source

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

I've heard Forspoken will support Direct Storage GPU and I was gonna play it day one anyway, so looks like I'll be testing that game in Jan 2023.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39405 Posts

Does that mean that my PS5 SSD will finally have a challenge?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17849 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

Nothing could ever beat that thing. It is so powerful that it warps time and space. Just ask Mark Cerny. He is an alien from another dimension.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6050 Posts

@BassMan said:
@hardwenzen said:

Nothing could ever beat that thing. It is so powerful that it warps time and space. Just ask Mark Cerny. He is an alien from another dimension.

OOO that secret sauce that nobody can beat.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

@davillain said:

I've heard Forspoken will support Direct Storage GPU and I was gonna play it day one anyway, so looks like I'll be testing that game in Jan 2023.

Definitely interested to see what the first direct storage game will be on PC :)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

@tdkmillsy said:
@BassMan said:
@hardwenzen said:

OOO that secret sauce that nobody can beat.

lol :P

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

PlayStation does have a secret sauce,it's owners are gullible as f@#k🤣🤣

Though that's not a secret,but it certainly is a sauce....a good sauce of money from saps

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

Aww that's nice Nvidia. More of that please.

Looks good. I wonder what the overhead will be though and how will it affect performance on the GPU side. It will be interesting to see.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16579 Posts

@hardwenzen: the power of the warp drive SSD, along with the emotion engine and cell technology.

Sony sure knows how to sell bullshat. The only one who does it better is Nvidia and apple.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39405 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@hardwenzen: the power of the warp drive SSD, along with the emotion engine and cell technology.

Sony sure knows how to sell bullshat. The only one who does it better is Nvidia and apple.

You sound jelly, which is none of my business, so i won't say anything else but cry more, pal.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PC_Rocks

@R4gn4r0k said:
@davillain said:

Definitely interested to see what the first direct storage game will be on PC :)

Most probably it won't support GPU decompression because it's just released and I highly doubt they are going to change it this close to a release. May be in a future patch.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PC_Rocks
@osan0 said:

Aww that's nice Nvidia. More of that please.

Looks good. I wonder what the overhead will be though and how will it affect performance on the GPU side. It will be interesting to see.

I don't think it will negatively affect performance at all unless you don't have enough GPU memory for both compressed and uncompressed assets.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4387 Posts

wont help more most ssd.

seeing there a legal reason why they say up to... speed... never legal speed amount drive is able to do.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NfamousLegend  Online
Member since 2016 • 1005 Posts

We keep hearing about these fancy technologies that are never implemented into games. Feels like UE5 was shown off 4 years ago, mesh shaders & VRS doko? What happened to Direct Storage? Physics have gone backwards and developers just don't have the passion the old guard did. With all that said I'm still gonna buy a 7900 XTX in December 😆

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

Did Nvidia make its API openly available or did MS and Sony reverse engineer their own APIs?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@nfamouslegend said:

We keep hearing about these fancy technologies that are never implemented into games. Feels like UE5 was shown off 4 years ago, mesh shaders & VRS doko? What happened to Direct Storage? Physics have gone backwards and developers just don't have the passion the old guard did. With all that said I'm still gonna buy a 7900 XTX in December 😆

I wouldn't get a 7900 xtx unless you plan on upgrading your cpu as well. You will be leaving quite abit of performance on the table with that 3900x.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

You forgot Blu-Ray which somehow gave the PS3 the horsepower for "true" next gen graphics. The Xbox 360 was more a 1.5 upgrade.

I went mad on these boards yelling if that's possible at people that a disk drive does not affect graphics but it fell on deaf ears.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Did Nvidia make its API openly available or did MS and Sony reverse engineer their own APIs?

The RTX IO is open source, allowing devs to create ports and tools to use the GDeflate compression format. Since Vulkan does not have any direct storage functions yet, Nvidia has provided RTX IO which has two newer Vulkan extensions that allows faster rate of transfer of assets from disk to GPU memory. Standardizing on the use of the GDeflate format for the Vulkan API.

I know that Directstorage is suppose to use shader processors to decompress the data but what actually grabs the data and preps it to be used might be using the Tensor cores available in all RTX gpus hence "RTX IO" name.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NfamousLegend  Online
Member since 2016 • 1005 Posts

@04dcarraher: getting a 5800x3d or 5900x to go along with it.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks

@04dcarraher said:
@lamprey263 said:

The RTX IO is open source, allowing devs to create ports and tools to use the GDeflate compression format. Since Vulkan does not have any direct storage functions yet, Nvidia has provided RTX IO which has two newer Vulkan extensions that allows faster rate of transfer of assets from disk to GPU memory. Standardizing on the use of the GDeflate format for the Vulkan API.

I know that Directstorage is suppose to use shader processors to decompress the data but what actually grabs the data and preps it to be used might be using the Tensor cores available in all RTX gpus hence "RTX IO" name.

Yes and No. Nvidia did make most of the things that make RTX IO work open source and provided the GDeflate format/algo to be used across all vendors however they can't really push the entire thing on Windows because MS has to modify the OS to allow access to by pass the system memory like GPUDirect. I'm quite sure Nvidia is furious with MS's incompetence in that regard. I mean GPUDirect is available for almost 5 years and Nvidia could have announced RTX IO back with Turing launch but probably didn't want to embarrass MS since they wanted to announce/release Direct Storage with XSX/S.