Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I'm a Battlefield guy over CoD and I've convinced some of my CoD friends to try BF(BC2, BF3, BF4 etc). They love it but the one thing they keep telling me is that CoD games, especially the older ones have amazing campaigns, much better than the BF ones. This has got me interested. I'm more interested in the older CoD campaigns so please list the good ones. Also were the original CoD games always multiplayer or did the series start with campaign only games?

Thanks guys, and oh yeah, it's a shame the new BF doesn't have a campaign.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24993 Posts

COD2 have best campaign by far. it was varied and longest one.

Follow by original COD which was ok and World at war which was good.

rest are not worhty.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

CoD4:MW had a pretty solid campaign, as did World at War from what I remember. CoD Infinite had a pretty good campaign also. I've played others but have all but forgotten them.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

Haven’t played any of the recent ones, but the older ones has pretty great campaigns imo. They are all very short and heavily scripted, so if that isn’t your thing you probably won’t enjoy them much!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

Good Campaigns:

1. Call of Duty 1
  2. Call of Duty 2
  3. Call of Duty United Offensive
  4. Call of Duty 4
  5. Call of Duty World At War

The others are forgettable. If you do plan on checking Call of Duty 1, I recommend the United Fronts mod, it combines COD 1, United Offensive and another expansion worth of missions into one coherrent and chronological romp through WW2. It's brilliant.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Cod 2

Black ops 1

Black ops 2

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@worlds_apart: In fact COD 1 had an amazing multiplayer. It had great maps, some derived from the singleplayer like a German prison complex or stalingrad, and some completely unique.

It had game modes like

• Deathmatch
  • Team Deatmatch
  • Search & Destroy
  • Headquarters
  • etc

Call of duty 2 added more guns and Call of Duty 4 added leveling, but the blueprint was there since COD 1 and it was such a huge hit on PC. I played the multiplayer for a lot of hours and I joined my first clan on that game.

You'll be interested to hear that United Offensive took the game in a different direction: the singleplayer was the same as in COD 1, but for the multiplayer the team made huge maps, 64 players and added in vehicles. It played a lot like Battlefield, in fact, it was Battlefield but with COD 1 gameplay.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@worlds_apart: In fact COD 1 had an amazing multiplayer. It had great maps, some derived from the singleplayer like a German prison complex or stalingrad, and some completely unique.

It had game modes like

• Deathmatch
  • Team Deatmatch
  • Search & Destroy
  • Headquarters
  • etc

Call of duty 2 added more guns and Call of Duty 4 added leveling, but the blueprint was there since COD 1 and it was such a huge hit on PC. I played the multiplayer for a lot of hours and I joined my first clan on that game.

You'll be interested to hear that United Offensive took the game in a different direction: the singleplayer was the same as in COD 1, but for the multiplayer the team made huge maps, 64 players and added in vehicles. It played a lot like Battlefield, in fact, it was Battlefield but with COD 1 gameplay.

Cod 1 + expansions and cod 2 had the best multiplayer in the whole series, on pc.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k

@sheevpalpamemes said:

Cod 1 + expansions and cod 2 had the best multiplayer in the whole series, on pc.

Yes, my dark lord, I feel the series was much better before perks, killstreaks, XP and weapon unlocks entered the series.

It was much more pure. Like the hate flowing through my body.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

Call of Duty 4 was the first MW campaign I played and the best. I'm not sure about the ones before, but I was the best in all of those I played 4.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

CoD2 was the best campaign in the series imo.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59164 Posts

I like the first game. Its gameplay is simple and not something really want to go back to, but for a first play through at the time, enjoyed it. Two things that stood out -

Like Pegasus Bridge when it's all heroic and shit, and Michael Giacchino beautiful music score fades in while getting zerg rushed by Nazis.

And The Russian campaign (completely ripped off from Enemy At The Gates) that shows how shitty and brutal it was for Russians.

The console version tonally changed this to make them come across as bad ass. As did the the later WW2 games. Rather than scared kids getting poured into the meat grinder.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

I like the first game. It's gameplay is simple and not something really want to go back to, but for a first playthrough at the time, enjoyed it. Tow things that stood out -

Like Pegasus Bridge when it's all heroic and shit, and Michael Giacchino beautiful music score fades in while getting zerg rushed by Nazis.

And The Russian campaign (completely ripped off from Enemy At The Gates) that shows how shitty and brutal it was for Russians.

The console version tonally changed this to make them come across as bad ass. As did the the later WW2 games. Rather than scared kids getting poured into the meat grinder.

COD1 is exact same game as later games before modern warfare.

theres not much difference. i would say 2 is better. 1st one campaign was bland until russian campaign near the end which was amazing.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Thanks@R4gn4r0k and everyone else for the replies. I'm definitely going to check out all the CoD games recommended. I've never played a CoD game before so I'm really excited at trying out some of the older ones.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:

Yea, and that's the problem. Its gameplay never evolved to anything substantial, and it never had enough substance to it to justify getting away with being repeated.

Look at something like Halflife - Halflife 2 or Team Fortress Classic - Team Fortress 2, substantial changes.

Even Quake - Quake 2 good or ill has substantial gameplay changes.

Just, the same shit for what? 20 years. Gaming critics fapping to it, earn that Activision non-black list, ad renevue. Established itself like Mcdonalds that doesn't really matter, it's entrenched.

Having said that sells a katrillion copies. Maybe Russia should nuke us.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@sheevpalpamemes said:

Yes, my dark lord, I feel the series was much better before perks, killstreaks, XP and weapon unlocks entered the series.

It was much more pure. Like the hate flowing through my body.

Let the toilet gaming FLOW THROUGH YOUR BODY.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ghosts4ever  Online

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Yea, and that's the problem. Its gameplay never evolved to anything substantial, and it never had enough substance to it to justify getting away with being repeated.

Look at something like Halflife - Halflife 2 or Team Fortress Classic - Team Fortress 2, substantial changes.

Just, the same shit for what? 20 years. Gaming critics fapping to it, earn that Activision non-black list, ad renevue. Established itself like Mcdonalds that doesn't really matter, it's entrenched.

Quake to Quake 2 is one of the worst gameplay evolution. it should not be count as an example. Quake series ruined when went fill MP and sci fi ruined the whole uniquness of Quake 1.

Half life to Half life 2 was true evolution.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I'm not with you guys, in fact I don't even know how I got here.

To me repetition was never part of CODs problem. Games can be repetitive, people love that.

Problem is when you start chipping away CODs corner stones, you get left with an empty husk.

In COD 1, COD 4 and other early games the game was always inspired by real events and they were dramatized.

This made some great setpieces and missions.

In Ghosts it's all fiction, none of it is memorable. Oh hey, now we have the stealth mission, now we have the sniper mission, etc.

In Vanguard, the last one, they chose to misrepresent WW2 and push some bullshit agenda. None of it is memorable, it's just strong woman and african american leader on a quest to save the world. The game goes so far in trying to blend in that it even wholesale copied a boss fight from The Last of Us.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Quake to Quake 2 is one of the worst gameplay evolution. it should not be count as an example.

I apologize my friend, messed up again. Greatly.

Please forgive.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts

The only one i ever beat was COD2, and it was an average 7/10 at best. Linear spam with enemies spawning in every corner in front of you. Not what i'd consider quality gameplay.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

rest are not worhty.

Yes. CoD2 had a great campaign, sow aw World at War. The only other one I personally can think of is the first Modern Warfare, though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Brothers in Arms had one of the better WWII shooter campaigns, and a pretty fun gameplay elements of ordering your squad around, too.

COD 2 was probably the pinnacle of the COD series as far as campaigns go. It seems a little dull these days but back then the WWII shooter craze was just starting so it was still somewhat fresh.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

I really enjoyed the campaign in the following Call of Duty games:

- CoD4: Modern Warfare

- Modern Warfare 2

- Black Ops

- Black Ops II

- Black Ops III

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

COD 2 was best campaign imo

Also liked original MW and world at war

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

rest are not worhty.

Theyre not Core games

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts

All garbage. All i remember in COD2 on Veteran is that you were receiving at least one nade at your feet every 7sec. Oh and that shitty infinite enemies respawn until you move through a certain section. Horrible games.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14816 Posts

No

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25 said:

Brothers in Arms had one of the better WWII shooter campaigns, and a pretty fun gameplay elements of ordering your squad around, too.

Sequels kinda suck but first game dope.

Probably would have been even better had it been designed with PC in mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Infinite Warfare is the best campaign. It being a Call of Duty game didn’t do it justice. It set an expectation that didn’t do the game any favors. The gameplay and action sequences were far better than any COD after it. And there were space battles… And not just in spaceships…

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Haven't played a CoD campaign since Black Ops but they were all fairly consistent. The only major difference in the original Call of Duty is the lack of health regen. Game was still using health packs to regain health.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

CoD WWII campaign was actually quite nice