Do you enjoy non story-driven (arcade and the likes) video games? If not, why?

bandicoot89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bandicoot89
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

I hear many gamers call platformers/arcade (or any games that don't rely on story) "pointless", as they lack a narrative to keep the gamer enticed to progress through those titles, as well as not being able to get immersed into a game's world.

Is narrative that big of a deal in the videogame industry in this day and age, or is gameplay still the absolute king?

Personally, I grew up with arcade-style games, I'm using this term for a wide variety of genres to refer to games that are gameplay-centered and are generally easy to get into and hard to master. As I grew older I learned to appreciate games that strive to be more movie-like, but I honestly find it hard to find very good stories in most of the games I play, so when it comes to gaming I tend to prioritize fun-factor other than depth.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

I do, I don't mind story focused games as long as the gameplay is solid, or else I simply get bored. I'm quite bad at following the narrative in games properly especially when this is being told as I'm busy exploring or kicking enemies' ass, I literally struggle to follow through the story when that's the case, so if I'm really interested in it and I miss some parts, I make sure to watch some walkthrough on YouTube to fill that "gap".

Ultimately, though, a good gameplay is what makes me come back to playing a certain game.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

No, not really.

Story motivates me to keep playing now, even if the story is bad i want to see how bad it can get.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9410 Posts

I love a good game-ass-game.

I love a good all-engrossing immersive story experience, but those require time to get into to enjoy. It's nice to have an easy to pick up and play game for those days when you don't want to commit.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

I enjoy both. Even with DMC5, I found myself not focussing on the story as heavily, as the gameplay was just downright fantastic.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

90% of video game stories are so uninteresting to me that they might as well not be there for me. But I understand that others do enjoy them, so I tend to keep quiet about it. So yeah, I enjoy non-story-driven games because almost all games are non-story-driven for me. Same with movies. Maybe it's because I grew up with fairy tales and the like. And I guess the stories in movies and games tend to be less interesting to me than those tales used to be? I think for a good story there needs to be something clever or special about a story if it wants to stand out, and I would say most games don't have that. Some have an interesting premise, but that can't be all. Most don't have a meaningful and interesting event/twist, or message, or twist on a message. And a message doesn't need to be meaningful to us. It needs to be meaningful to the story. It needs to be something. I think most video game stories are too superficial. Which can totally suit the game. It doesn't have to be a problem. If we isolate the story to criticize it... I know it's incredibly hard to write a story for a video game. Because of branching, because of interaction, because you don't get to pace the story. The player unwittingly determines the pacing, and will inevitably do completely immersion breaking things that break the tension you built/the emotional arc.

Most video game stories tend to just be window dressing or they drag on too long without becoming special, so that I don't care to remember much of the plot. I don't care one bit for "the shadow vs the light," and "the world is at stake, so be motivated" type stories like the ones Blizzard writes. Even games that have stories that are fine (Bioshock, The Last of Us) the story itself doesn't really add that much to it for me. Like, I wouldn't keep playing just to see what happens next in the story. And I know I'm probably in the minority there.

I think that video games that lean on stories could do a better job at making you experience the meaning and importance of story elements before/during/after they act on them. And not by telling you they are important. (Looking at you, Anthem.) Show, don't tell... right? Implement it into gameplay. How powerful is it, that a character's emotional journey in FF9 impacts the way they act in the combat? In Anthem a lot of words are used to describe things that are never given a meaning beyond hearsay. Its story was mostly words to me in video game. I never really felt like there was a world out there and that we were doing something meaningful. Whereas in The Witcher 3 you stumble upon a corpse of someone unexpectedly. Someone whose downfall you've been involved with hours earlier in some side quest. That moment was more meaningful than the story of Anthem. Because it made me realize something. Because it made me feel like things were happening in the game without my doing. Even the first quest in The Witcher 3 shows the player what 'justice' means in the world of The Witcher, impacting the way you'll approach everything else after. The meaningful bits in video game stories make me think or wonder or realize or be intrigued. Most games don't do any of that because their events tend to be isolated, disconnected from the rest of the game.

And I think that they tend to assume too quickly that we care about characters in a game world as if they are in the real world. And although I get immersed easily, it's still a new world with its own established rules and values. You need to establish that the people matter, if the story depends on the people mattering. Because what is true for one game is not true for another. For instance, the main character in Assassins Creed Origins was an almost empty avatar to me. His responses and quests were pretty one dimensional, in a world where people's lives are rather expendable, mostly anonymous, and rarely elaborated upon. And that's fine, because it may not be going for a crazy weighty story or a deep main character. But it does make the story itself less meaningful to me. Especially the parts concerning someone's life being in danger. If the story and especially the characters in it are treated in a superficial manner, then the story will not mean much to me.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I don't remember "stories" in the games I play, but the memory of the fun I had remains.
Story makes sense in those types of games where what you do is directly tied to the storytelling and is part of the experience, but it's often not a big deal if you don't understand it at all.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

Yes, they're a nice supplement to playing games more demanding of time and effort, like if I am say between games or need a break from one.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Of course I do.

I just don’t only like those games bc I want to have fun in different ways.

When you get older you tend to lose the jaded nature and just enjoy things for what they are bc when you’re in your 20’s....oh man, you want to rule the world and you just can’t.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17847 Posts

I love story and world building in games, but I also enjoy games where the gameplay and level design is what keeps you engaged. My level of interactivity covers the full spectrum. I can be playing a walking sim/adventure game one moment and then be playing a hardcore precision/twitch game the next. It all depends what I am in the mood for.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3090 Posts

I'll always take gameplay over story, but i will also happily take a good game with a good story.

It's the same with music. If a song doesn't nail the music part, I don't care if the lyrics are great.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

Things like gameplay and level design are more important to me than story. I dont mind a good story in video games but I dont think a game can be considered good if you'd get the same enjoyment or more out of watching it rather than playing it. I feel like if you need story to motivate you to finish a game then maybe you just dont enjoy playing video games.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

I love story driven games but I can also enjoy those that aren’t as well.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#14 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I don't play games for a good story. A systems-driven game will keep me coming back more than a story driven one.

games where I actually enjoy the stories are very few and far between. most of the time sitting through cutscenes feels like a chore to me. If a game's story isn't grabbing me within a few hours but i'm enjoying the gameplay i'll consider skipping the cutscenes.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Sure. Mario Kart is a good example.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Battlefield 2

Super Hot VR

WWF No Mercy

Robo Recall

Counter Strike Source

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Yes, I recently played monster boy and it was one of the best games I've ever played.

Right now I'm playing yakuza kiwami 2 and I'm having a blast.

I love both story and non story driven games, there is room for both.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Only if it's a sandbox type of game like Minecraft or if it's MP focused.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I play a LOT of racing games so i hate having to sit there and watch a story, that's what movies are for.

Sony has forgotten that for the most part where you play their games only to get to the next cutscene.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

For me, it's both and I can adapt to both, but I would like to know a little more about the video game world at least and it's characters. Either way, it's gameplay is far more important to me rather it's story driven or none story driven game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Hell yeah!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Gameplay is king always. I don't mind a bit of story, especially when it's intervowen into the gameplay so it doesn't impose, but without good gameplay, the game is worthless to me.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

As long as an option to skip the story is available, I don’t care either way.

If given the choice, I’ll always prefer gameplay over story.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I do. As long as the gameplay is fun I’m all for it. I also like story driven games if they have interesting gameplay or even cool puzzles or dialogue trees like in point and click adventure games.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Yep, they're fun. I like playing classic retro arcade games sometimes. I've been heavily into Donkey Kong lately. It really is a brilliant game. I find story-driven games to be fun too, in a different way.

AryannaLao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AryannaLao
Member since 2019 • 78 Posts

Are Diner Dash, Feeding Frenzy, and Plants vs Zombies story-driven?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Yesterday I played Kings quest chapter 3 and the division 2. So both I guess! However I definitely prefer if a game has both!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Been playing a lot of puzzle games on PS4 lately. 36 fragments of midnight one of my favourites.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I do. I like both types of games. Some genres depend on one type or the other and I won't skip a genre over such things. I don't want a story in an arcade racer; I need a story in an RPG

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Yes, a lot of them are way better than video game story driven games lol

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points