DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56223 Posts

This was absolutely expected for next year and beyond. Can't say I give a damn and Summer Game Fest is here to stay thus why it's so successful.

E3 itself problem is still trying to get everyone showing up in-person is why major publishers would rather do their own shows as social gaming media just makes life easier and save money by having control what to show off. E3 can comeback, but they would have to do E3 Digital.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#7 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

E3 is dead. Never expect it to come back. It just doesn't make sense anymore. Why spend millions on floor space and a press conference where leaks are inevitable when you can spend a fraction of the cost and have your own online presentation?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

at least there were live events and live audiences at the summer game show and follow up shows.

Not having any live previews and such and just watching a trailer from home is as stale as can be. I wanna read up on previews, hands on, live reports, people going to gaming christmas and just having a blast. E3 has always been more than just a trailer showcase.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

I'm fine with this.

Too much hype in the industry as it is.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39229 Posts

Not like there is anything worth showing, all studios have their 17 years projects, so maybe by 2040 we will see something release, and it will be worth having an e3....................

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5268 Posts

A digital E3 defeats the purpose of what a convention is about and makes it a multi-day online infomercial. No better than virutal learning and remote work.

This news is unfortunate and the City of Los Angeles is expected to lose millions in the next two years because of the cancellations.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3482 Posts

The transition to digital is real.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

So it goes.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

The bigger concern is why anyone would want it to come back at all. Online presentations are superior and here to stay.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

Sad, it used to be a cool week in gaming. Like a festive season. But time moves and so everything else with it.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3079 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

at least there were live events and live audiences at the summer game show and follow up shows.

Not having any live previews and such and just watching a trailer from home is as stale as can be. I wanna read up on previews, hands on, live reports, people going to gaming christmas and just having a blast. E3 has always been more than just a trailer showcase.

Couldn't agree more. E3 wasn't just trailers, it was an event. I looked forward to it all year. Of course the last few years sucked, but that doesn't mean the idea was bad...just the execution. At it's best, anything could happen. Amazing announcements, human personalities, complete trainwrecks. The unknown is what made it interesting.

But yeah, boring and sterile directs are way better 🙄. I'm just glad they can save all that money and effort to still release broken boring games. We really got the W on that deal.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6271 Posts

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I work and E3 fell on a public holiday over here, so I could watch the shows, crowd reactions etc.

Now it's sterile pre-recorded snooze fests that not only the big 3 put out, but now devs want to do their own shows.

At least with E3 everyone was there at the same time announcing their games all on the same weekend, it was an event, but that's gone now.

I guess you get to enjoy that Kojima loving Canadian douche guy multiple times a year with his GOTY ads infested snoozefest, and his equally ads infested summer games snoozefest 🤦‍♂️

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#18  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

And so the dying, obsolete relic of the 90s offers yet another death sputter in its agonising, prolonged demise.

I suppose no one cares enough to actually finally do the sensible thing and take it out to the back of the shed. Looking forward to shrugging at its next blood cough.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Geoff Keighley is like...

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1463 Posts

Well, the irony is that the gaming industry is now bigger and stronger than ever, with the Big 3 and major publishers each having their own successful events.

Needless to say, this does not represent a retreat of the industry in any way, but rather a shift from outdated convention styles to those more digitally oriented to meet the needs of these companies.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@omegamaster: "The transition to digital is real"

What times we live in.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44606 Posts

If it's not E3 it'll be something else, an unofficial period companies decide to showcase their upcoming games. I don't really care whether it's E3 or something else, I just wanna see those upcoming games.

SupraGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 SupraGT
Member since 2003 • 8150 Posts

TGS is where it's at. Went in 2019 and was one of the best experiences I've ever had. TGS2023!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@dimebag667 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Couldn't agree more. E3 wasn't just trailers, it was an event. I looked forward to it all year. Of course the last few years sucked, but that doesn't mean the idea was bad...just the execution. At it's best, anything could happen. Amazing announcements, human personalities, complete trainwrecks. The unknown is what made it interesting.

But yeah, boring and sterile directs are way better 🙄. I'm just glad they can save all that money and effort to still release broken boring games. We really got the W on that deal.

Exactly, eventhough I liked what was shown in the latest direct the "watch a trailer and go home" concept is the most boring, uninteresting, sterline way to show off video games as can be.

Even the bad parts of E3 were good. When 2K injected new life into Xcom and announced it as some Bioshock looking shooter I'll never forget the crowd reaction, and especially Spoony's reaction.

It's that crowd reaction, that disappointment that led to the revival of Xcom as we know it today.

I liked that trailer lol, I was up for a Bioshock shooter. But it's this discussion, this emotion and most of all: this human interaction that made the event what it is.

Not a bunch of sterile trailers.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2947 Posts

Whaaaaat? So that means i have to wait until 2026 for E3?

Seriously, it is a bit sad. E3 was so exciting in the old days. Remember the N64 show in 1996? But with the internet, E3 is not really necessary any more. The same goes for printed video game magazines.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2252 Posts

A shame as I used to love E3, but yeah not very surprising! Imo E3 died when they cancelled bootybabes:/

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

This is why we can't have nice things. :P

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

I have way too many good memories of E3 ... it's a shame it's over now, but it had a good run.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

Yeah not a surprise but a shame. I mean E3 used to be THE event. It was where most new consoles and handhelds were either announced or first demonstrated.

Then there was the hype building, the megaton dropping and the complete madness of the press conferences. I mean the year FF7 Remake was revealed at the sony press conference was a masterclass in E3 Management. Sony had nothing that year for the PS4...bupkis. zilch. Nada. But like pros they completely bluffed it. FF7 Remake, Whatchcymacallit 3 (promoting a kickstarter), other stuff way way off.....master class in building the hype machine. There were god dam manly tears!

Or Nintendos reveal of Twilight princess. Finally...FINALLY....a zelda like the TGS demo years before (WW ended up being the better game though). Taking names and Making games!

The Halo 3 trailer...finish the fight! One of the all time great trailers. Ah good times (my memory is fuzzy...that was the slogan right? too much watching the Mario Wonder trailer is making be trippy :P).

But most of all...there was the cringe! Nintendos WIIU reveal...just all of that. so bad.

MSs xbox one reveal and the absolute kicking Sony gave them over it.

Sonys PS3 showcase and the silence that killed a generation at the price announcement.

....Yeah I can see why multibillion dollar businesses want nothing to do with it. Ah well. Fond memories of a very different era.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

Sadly, E3 id dead. I will miss it. Things just feel different this time of year without it.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4237 Posts

I hate to admit it but sadly everyone is right. It’s a concept that has come and gone. No more.