Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59031 Posts
No Caption Provided

Nice guy EA copy Nintendo in shitty attempt to appear not shitty.

EA Executive Staff Declines Yearly Bonus to Add It to the General Bonus Pool

The top executives at Electronic Arts have turned down their yearly bonus pay for fiscal year 2019. According to documents filed with the United States Securities & Exchange Commission, CEO Andrew Wilson, CFO Blake Jorgensen, CTO Ken Moss, Marketing Officer Chris Bruzzo and former Chief Design Officer Patrick Soderlund have asked that the $5.5M bonus pay they were to receive be placed into the general bonus pool for all employees at EA.

Fiscal 2019 was a year of intense competition in the video game industry. While there were many achievements this year that we are proud of, after generating strong financial results and robust stockholder returns from fiscal 2014 through fiscal 2018, we did not perform to our expectations during fiscal 2019. Given the Company’s fiscal 2019 financial performance, and in order to maintain alignment with our pay-for-performance executive compensation philosophy, our CEO and his staff (including the NEOs) requested that they receive no performance cash bonus award for fiscal 2019.

The measure was accepted by the Compensation Committee with funds returned to the general bonus pool.

As a point of reference, in fiscal 2019, Andrew Wilson took home $18.2M in salary and compensation while the median employee salary is $92,000 (200:1).

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44100 Posts

lolol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69589 Posts

Median salary is $92,000? Does that include his and others like him?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

This is news? Or reddit karma boost?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59031 Posts

@Pedro said:

Median salary is $92,000? Does that include his and others like him?

Andrew Wilson got $18.2M last year.

@Ant_17 said:

This is news? Or reddit karma boost?

Well, it has a drive-by teeny angst post, so I suppose it is.

Well spotted.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

So the average employee makes $92,000 a year to cut/paste mostly sports games?

No one at EA has the right to complain and quite frankly the employees don’t deserve that bonus either.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@ajstyles: That's a short-sighted view. Executive compensation typically blows median salary for companies northward. Your typical art asset designer gets paid peanuts no matter how their senior management gets compensated.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Well they have still ruined Dead Space, Bioware and Star Wars.

@Shewgenja said:

@ajstyles: That's a short-sighted view. Executive compensation typically blows median salary for companies northward. Your typical art asset designer gets paid peanuts no matter how their senior management gets compensated.

I don't think the median salaries are affected that much. It's the average salaries that get skewed by the massive payouts at the top.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro

@uninspiredcup: I know his pay, I just want to know if they are including their payment in this median. Most likely they are but Hey! there maybe a slight chance that folks at his level aren't including in this median.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sushiglutton

@Pedro said:

@uninspiredcup: I know his pay, I just want to know if they are including their payment in this median. Most likely they are but Hey! there maybe a slight chance that folks at his level aren't including in this median.

It (almost) doesn't matter. The median is not the same as the average. If there are 1000 people working at a company the median is what the guy making the 500th most is making (aka the middle salary). If a few guys at the absolute top makes tons it has very little effect on the median, that's why it's a useful metric.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@Sushiglutton said:
@Pedro said:

It (almost) doesn't matter. The median is not the same as the average. If there are 1000 people working at a company the median is what the guy making the 500th most is making (aka the middle salary). If a few guys at the absolute top makes tons it has very little effect on the median, that's why it's a useful metric.

We don't know if its matter or not because we don't know what the salaries are in the midrange. So, its odd for you to say with certainty that it doesn't matter. With that said, payscale.com has EA sports average salary at 92K and the inclusion of the top guys would definitively matter.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sushiglutton

@Pedro said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@Pedro said:

We don't know if its matter or not because we don't know what the salaries are in the midrange. So, its odd for you to say with certainty that it doesn't matter. With that said, payscale.com has EA sports average salary at 92K and the inclusion of the top guys would definitively matter.

There are over 9000 people working at EA (i googled it). If including the top 50 or not should matter it would mean that the 4500th best paid should make a significantly different amount than the 4475th best paid, which is super unlikely.

If it is the average then you are correct that the top executives salaries are significant.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58348 Posts

Game company execs aren't paid in line with game company workers, they're paid more like tech company execs. So when they say the median is 92,000/year, that is incredibly misleading. If the average pay is over the median, then it indicates most people get paid far less than 92,000/year.

"Median salary" is fluffing the numbers, it doesn't actually mean anything out of context.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@Shewgenja: Art asset designer should be paid peanuts for the lack of work they do in EA games.

Most of EA’s games are sports games which requires no art.

Then there is a couple kids games like plants vs zombies.

Then you have mirrors edge catalyst which is 99% white with no textures and some red lines to follow.

Like LMAO.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52436 Posts

"But the franchises you love are either buried or ruined"
"And we're gonna start putting axe shower gel ads in your loading screens"

How brave of them.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts

With a humongous salary and several bonus payments taken earlier, I'd also have no problem in sitting one bonus payment out.