Favorite and least favorite game genres?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

Favorite:

• Hack N’ Slash
  • Action RPG
  • Action Adventure
  • Platformer
  • RPG
  • Shooters
  • Sports games
  • Survival Horror

Least Favorite:

• MMO: never got into it because it seems like a time sink and I like more straight forward experiences.
  • Minecraft type games: seems really boring.
  • Hunting type games: tried many times to get into Monster Hunter and got bored immediately.
  • Simulator type games: I’m talking about the random pointless ones.

How about you, SW? Favorite and least favorite game genres?

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Best: rpg.

Worst: racing. Unless in VR.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

Most:

• JRPG
  • WRPG
  • Action RPG
  • TPS
  • Platformer 3D
  • Platformer 2D
  • Hack & Slash
  • Beat Em Ups
  • Arcade racers
  • RTS
  • Horror games
  • Turn-based strategy (especially 4x)

Least:

• FPS
  • Sports games
  • MMO
  • Dota games
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Most favourite

• Shooter
  • RTS
  • Immersive sim
  • Platformer

Least favourite

• Sports games
  • Survival
  • DOTA
  • Live service
Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Favorite equal mostly all genres.

Least favorite equal movie games, like Sony games. I hate graphical gimmick games like Sony always make.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

^ lol always gotta be a fanboy

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44301 Posts

Some of my favourite genres are:

- RPG

- Action/Adventure

- Platformer

- Hack and Slash

- Action RPG

- Fighting

- Beat ‘Em Up

- Survival Horror

- TPS

- FPS

- RTS

- Racing

Some of my least favourite are:

- Manager

- Sports

- Simulator

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

Honestly I think even genres I don't really play often have occasional offerings worth checking out, and with my tastes being so mercurial I tend to try everything once in a while...but if you're asking me to rank based on what I spend my time on most/least, then see below.

Most played:

• Sandbox building games (factory games, city builders, etc)
  • Shooters
  • RPG's
  • MMO's
  • Action-RPG
  • Sims, more realistic (like submarine sims, flight sims, etc)

Least played:

• JRPG's
  • Sports games
  • Fighting games
  • Deck/card games
  • Sidescrollers/metroidvanias
  • Soulsborn-type
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24960 Posts

Fav

• Immersive sim
  • Single player FPS
  • Third person Action/shooter (not movie games)
  • Stealth games

Least Fav

• Third Movie games
  • Open world games
  • RPG games
  • MP FPS games
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

Best

• City Builders/Sandbox Building/Engineering Games
  • Platformers
  • Strategy
  • Tactics

Worst

• MOBA
  • Action RPGs
  • Cover Shooters
  • Gacha

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I am a creature of creativity and choice. So the more choices I as a player can make, the more optional side content, and the more open ended a game is the better. (One of my degrees is in Theatre set design/construction, so that most likely explains it)

So for me:

Best

- Building or Survival Games.

These games are the perfect example of a genre that is only as good and your imagination/creativity is. When playing these I can imagine myself there and make a great world for myself lost for hundreds of hours. I am that guy that can sit with a cup of coffee and imagine an amazing Minecraft or Conan Exiles, Starbound, Mario Maker, Dreams, Trove, No Man's Sky (or dozens of others) build and go to it an end up with something AMAZING! I can imagine myself as a desperate refugee washed ashore on the Isle of Siptah and role play myself to creating a vast civilization just as easily as I can imagine myself as a shop owner making a new hot Mexican restaurant in Creativerse. It is so empowering for me to have the control not the game devs. LOVE IT.

-MMOs

More or less the same reasons as above. Put me in a world and let me decide who I and what is what. Everquest 1-2 are EXCEPTIONAL in this area. There is almost no hand holding and you are expected to make your way on your own merits to learn or not, to become a great warrior or like me a master crafter. Once again it is all about player choice.

-Fighting games

I teach High School and I advise the video game club at the school, so the kids are always wanting to fight me in Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, Killer Instinct, or Smash. Over time I get surprisingly good at these games and they kind of grew on me!

-Big open games with mega side content

Games like Just Cause, Xenoblade series, Assassin's Creed, Kingdoms of Amalur, Zelda TOTK, Saints Row etc.

Games like these all share the idea that most of the content is optional and there are many things that most people will never see. But for those like me that love to wander around like an idiot for days on end, they are very rewarding. Give me a sandbox to play in. Don't tell me exactly what to do at all times let me decide what is what.

If anyone read this far I bet you can guess what I like the least!

Worst

Linear Games with way more exposition than gameplay (people on SW call them movie games)

These for me are the worst. I just cannot get into games where the developers want the gamer to be a slave to the narrative that they have laid out with very little player choices to be had. These games tend to hold the hands of the gamer and lead them on string most of the way. As soon as I feel that I have been put on rails by the developer I am out most of the time. (I know Sony 1st party games and modern Final Fantasy are great, they are just NOT for me)

War Games/FPS

The endless obsession with COD/Battlefield type of games just is beyond me. Just not for me. Gun based war games seem so boring to me.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Easier to just list least favs:

Visual novel
Card & board strategy
Turn-based strategy
Sports
Racing
Most simulation types
MOBA

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15  Edited By Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19586 Posts

Favourite:

• Action
  • Action-adventure
  • Adventure
  • Racing
  • RPG

Least favourite:

• FPS
  • Sandbox
  • Simulation
  • Strategy
  • WRPG
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Fav:

• Platformers
  • Beat 'em ups
  • Action
  • Action Adventure
  • Adventure
  • Shooters (FPS/TPS, shmups, run 'n gun, etc.)
  • RPGs
  • Hack 'n Slash
  • Arcade Racing
  • Space Combat
  • Sports
  • Fighting

Dislike:

• Stealth
  • Survival Horror
  • Whatever Zelda is now (survival, builder?)
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Honestly I think even genres I don't really play often have occasional offerings worth checking out, and with my tastes being so mercurial I tend to try everything once in a while...but if you're asking me to rank based on what I spend my time on most/least, then see below.

This is true, games like Don't Starve or Disco Elysium are in genres that aren't my cup of tea, but because they are made by great developers, and there is just so much talent behind them that I could easily find fun in them.

Likewise, I don't think I liked stealth games before Dishonored nor horror games before the RE remakes. There are always these eye opener games that really open up a certain genre to a lot more people.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1179 Posts

Favorite:

1. Strategy
  2. RPG
  3. Action
  4. Sports
  5. FPS

Least Favorite:

1. Puzzle—Absolutely hate.
  2. Platformer—Barely tolerate.
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

The only genre I am not big on is fighting games. With that out of the way, let's get to the fun part:

Favorites!

• CRPG, Tactics RPG. Turn-based or real-time with pause. Party building and management. Lot's of player agency and choice with worlds where actions have real consequences. Combat is usually only one of the many ways to get a job done, and there are typically many outcomes, none of which appear as "the good one".
    • Divinity OS, Wasteland 2, Baldur's Gate, Underrail, Planescape, Disco Elysium, Shadowrun, Pillars of Eternity, KoToR, Neverwinter Nights, Fallout
  • Automation and Logistics. Games where automation is the name of the game. start small, and continually automate processes until you have made spaghetti. Glorious spaghetti.
    • Factorio, Satisfactory, Dyson Sphere Program
  • Colony Sim. Games where you manage a colony of survivors by assigning tasks and enforcing rules. The systems are deep and complex and events are random which allows for some pretty wacky emergent stories. There are no win conditions. Only pain.
    • RimWorld, Dwarf Fortress
  • Immersive Sim. Play your way. Crawl through air ducts. Use weird tools to traverse the world. The better ones have imposing scenarios where stealth required until you get better tools.
    • Deus Ex, Prey 2017, System Shock, Dishonored, Arx Fatalis, Hitman
  • 4X Strategy. Build and manage a civilization over a long span of time. These games have a ton of systems that represent many aspects of society. They usually have steep learning curves, but are very satisfying once you get a handle on it. Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate.
    • Civilization, Stellaris, Anno
  • City Builder. Start from nothing, build infrastructure, attract sims, grow, make money. I like the ones that allow for a lot of management.
    • Sim City 4, Cities: Skylines
  • Survival Crafting. Hostile environments that make you feel small and scared. Only by timidly exploring and collecting resources can you begin to craft tools and build shelter. After many hardships you begin to master your environment and slowly the tables turn.
    • Valheim, 7 Days To Die, Terraria, Subnautica
  • Metroidvania. Action-based exploration. 2D or 3D hand-crafted world that may or may not come with a map. Retreading ground is important once you get more tools and skills. Often these will have lots of boss encounters.
    • Hollow Knight, Dark Souls, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Bloodstained, The Messenger, Blasphemous
  • Sandbox Space Sim. You start out small and have to build your empire. Take some simple jobs or do some space trucking until you have enough credits to buy a better ship and hire some help. Eventually you will be a famous, or infamous, figure throughout the galaxy. The best ones have many factions and story arcs.
    • Escape Velovity, X, Elite Dangerous
  • Sandbox RPG. Nothing else quite like them. They are jank AF, but usually because they allow for an unusual level of interaction.
    • Morrowind, Kenshi, Mount & Blade, Gothic
  • The other kind of RPG. The anime kind. Story-driven games where you manage a party of people with crazy hair. They usually each have a specific job class, but not always. You typically end up fighting god or some other crazy shit. And don't forget the grinding! We need to be doing the grinding.

• Final Fantasy, Disgaea, Xenoblade, Chrono

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2580 Posts

My favorite is RPG, mostly because of the world building, especially when you get to explore places and meet characters that ain't possible in our reality.

My least favorite is Sports; they were never my favorite for the reason "been there done that" but nowadays they got worse, now they all got microtransactions in it for every stupid thing.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16017 Posts

Favourite: Extreme sports, Simulation, Role playing games, Platforming

Least favourite: Real-time strategy, Gory shooters/action games, Open world games, Traditional sports [Madden, NHL. etc]

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14001 Posts

Favorite: Games like Ninja Gaiden Black

Honorable mention: Twin Stick Shooters

Least Favorite: Turn-based Combat

Dishonorable mention: RTS

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

The games I've put the most hours into most recently are FF12 TZA, Fallout 4 and Diablo 3, so I like to spend the most time playing JRPG, WRPG and ARPG. I gravitate towards gameplay focused games with minimal interruptions like cutscenes. I've been playing through the original Crysis lately, one of my all time favorite games. It's very gameplay focused with very few cutscenes that are all skippable. Halo is kind of the same way. Or a more extreme example would be something like Contra, just get me in the game, I'm playing and it's all gameplay. I also love beat 'em ups, Streets of Rage 4 and Shredder's Revenge are my current favorites. I also love Smash Bros Ultimate. I also love all the Castlevania games and I'm playing Super Castlevania 4 a lot lately. KOTOR is the type of game that sucks me in even though it's flawed, that's just totally my type of WRPG. I also love Shmups and am currently playing Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun.

The only types of games I don't like are ones that force me out of gameplay. I want skippable cutscenes. I don't really play sports games anymore. I think I can enjoy pretty much any genre if the game is done really well. WoW is actually my favorite game of all time, but I won't play another MMO in my life because it's scary how much of a time sink they are.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8298 Posts

Like: hack n slash, platformers, RTS, FPS, fighting, shmups, action rpg, mmo, sports/racing, arcade

Dislike: survival/crafting, souls-like, point and click, 4x strategy (civ is alright but overall prefer RTS with base building)

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2947 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Favorites:

Survival horror

RPG, especially turnbased

Platform, especially 2D

Many other genres

Dislike:

Puzzle-heavy games (I get stuck every 2 minutes. No thanks)

Simulators of any kind (For example, I really wanted to like a game like the recent Arcade Paradise, but picking up trash and managing the price for my arcade machines just don't cut it for me)

Games where you just walk all the time or do stuff that require zero dexterity on your controller. I had rather just watch a movie then.

Games that are too easy. (Nowadays, quite a lot of games are too easy, but thanks God many of them feature a hard setting)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

What about JAPANIMEEEEEE??

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#27 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2961 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

What about JAPANIMEEEEEE??

JAPANIMEEEEE best genre

Green man with gold mask wurst

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2547 Posts

Fav: Time attack / score attack arcade games.

Least fav: Narrative driven and stealth games

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#29  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Favourite: shooters, strategy, role-playing.

Least favourite: collectable card games, jumpscare horror games (e.g. FNAF), visual novels.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Most: Fighting games
Least: walking sims

jrpgs and point n click adventure games are pretty bad too.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 693 Posts

I mostly like crpgs, tactical rpgs and strategy games.

I disklike MMOs and gatcha games .

Everything else is acceptable but not super attractive.

I am much more often in the mood for slow pace games. I feel like playing fast pace games like once every 3 weeks.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Sam3231: JAPANIMEEEEEE GOOOOOOOOO