st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

I played FFX on PS2 20 years ago and then X | X-2 HD Remaster on PS3. I also bought the PS4 version on sale. So I bought it 3 times and contributed to the sales.

Anyway, I love the melodramatic but satisfying story, the oriental world setting, and the well-balanced turn-based battles.

Square Enix also recently announced that they are making a Kabuki adaptation of FFX, giving our fellow weebs another reason to travel to Japan. What are your thoughts?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44376 Posts

I purchased these games three times as well. 😅

Originally on the PS2 20 years ago, again on the PS3 with the HD remaster, and then again on the Xbox One. Love FFX, still a great game that I enjoy playing. FFX-2 was pretty enjoyable as well.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50624 Posts

FFX was the last great game in the series.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@Chutebox: I'll always say, XII was far more fun to play. Great game that always gets the cold shoulder. I'm a big fan of X too btw.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 st_monica
@Archangel3371 said:

I purchased these games three times as well. 😅

Originally on the PS2 20 years ago, again on the PS3 with the HD remaster, and then again on the Xbox One. Love FFX, still a great game that I enjoy playing. FFX-2 was pretty enjoyable as well.

Ah yes, FFX-2 is a weird game with quite a different atmosphere compared to X. Some people call it a bad game, but I really liked the battle system that brought back ATB and made Yuna the main character with a college girl look. Well, it's a fun game worth playing at least once if you ask me.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45347 Posts

Nice. Played it 20 years ago but haven’t replayed it since then. But if TC says we have to go back to Japan again, I guess I’ll be making my third trip.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#8  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19653 Posts

FF X & X-2 sales were at 14 million before the HD Remaster... Which means the HD Remaster sold over 6 million! That's very impressive for a remaster.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 st_monica
@SolidGame_basic said:

Nice. Played it 20 years ago but haven’t replayed it since then. But if TC says we have to go back to Japan again, I guess I’ll be making my third trip.

Yeah, especially if you are an ardent FFX fan, it is worth seeing how traditional Kabuki actors with serious faces like theirs play FFX.

One point should be noted, however, that in keeping with Kabuki tradition, all the actors are male, so our beloved heroines like Yuna, Lulu, and Rikku will be played by male actors dressed as women.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45347 Posts

@st_monica said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yeah, especially if you are an ardent FFX fan, it is worth seeing how traditional Kabuki actors with serious faces like theirs play FFX.

One point should be noted, however, that in keeping with Kabuki tradition, all the actors are male, so our beloved heroines like Yuna, Lulu, and Rikku will be played by male actors dressed as women.

Wow lol.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By st_monica
@Jag85 said:

FF X & X-2 sales were at 14 million before the HD Remaster... Which means the HD Remaster sold over 6 million! That's very impressive for a remaster.

Yeah, perhaps the fact that it was also released on Xbox and Switch a few years ago and that those who have become interested in the past FF series after playing FF7R or FFXIV may have helped boost sales.

Either way, as a longtime fan of the FF series, it is nice to see that older games like FFX have not been forgotten. Companies like Konami should learn from this and make an effort not to make the MGS series a legacy of the past, haha.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I think so too!

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11199 Posts

@ahrequenomori said:

@Chutebox: I'll always say, XII was far more fun to play. Great game that always gets the cold shoulder. I'm a big fan of X too btw.

I see you are a man of great taste. I enjoyed X as well, but XII's Gambit system is pretty great

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4581 Posts

Great game. I wish Square Enix still made FF games like this. XV just was not an enjoyable game at all. I personally bought the PS2 game, PS3 remaster, PS4 remaster, and was gifted the PC remaster.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 st_monica
@iambatman7986 said:

Great game. I wish Square Enix still made FF games like this. XV just was not an enjoyable game at all. I personally bought the PS2 game, PS3 remaster, PS4 remaster, and was gifted the PC remaster.

Well, Square Enix seems to have taken the criticism directed at FFXIII too seriously, and as a result has since turned most of its major games, not just the FF franchise, into action RPGs. Even DQXII, which is in development, has been announced as an action RPG. (There are still turn-based RPGs like Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default 2, but they are smaller titles for the Switch/PC.)

I enjoyed FFXV to some extent and am looking forward to FFXVI with the battle designer of DMC5, but that said, like you said, I'd like to see them make another traditional style game like FFX at some point.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1613 Posts

@Chutebox said:

You should try FFXII. Not only is the game itself great, but the writing is fantastic and the fact that FFXVI is set in the same world is promising.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

In short, I didn't care for the story, I found some of the characters annoying, and blitzball was terrible but I think it had the best battle system in the entire series with some excellent boss battles.

I feel like Lost Odyssey was that next step forward from the battle system.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50624 Posts

@mazuiface: I have it, can't bring myself to finish it.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

X was amazing, one of my favorites in the series. Who knows, maybe someday we'll get a remake. You know, like 30 years from now.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Final Fantasy X is definitely the last g-g-g-great Final Fantasy mainline game IMO.

I would like to see X-3 or a remake

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2048 Posts

They should finally make that X-3 they've been teasing at the ending of the remaster

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4581 Posts

@st_monica said:
@iambatman7986 said:

Well, Square Enix seems to have taken the criticism directed at FFXIII too seriously, and as a result has since turned most of its major games, not just the FF franchise, into action RPGs. Even DQXII, which is in development, has been announced as an action RPG. (There are still turn-based RPGs like Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default 2, but they are smaller titles for the Switch/PC.)

I enjoyed FFXV to some extent and am looking forward to FFXVI with the battle designer of DMC5, but that said, like you said, I'd like to see them make another traditional style game like FFX at some point.

I may try XV at some point again. I remember the battle system leaving me underwhelmed, but maybe I was not fully utilizing it. I was not a fan of FF XII until I was able to truly understand the Gambit system to its fullest. Once I figured that out, I really liked the battle system. I do wish they would get back into turn based games in their bigger budget games. Octopath and Bravely Default were good throwbacks to earlier rpg's.

I also believe that SE has moved past these battle systems due to criticism. It seems like the criticism from XIII was how linear with no towns it was. I actually didn't mind the battle system in it. It wasn't their best, but far from the worst.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@ahrequenomori said:

I see you are a man of great taste. I enjoyed X as well, but XII's Gambit system is pretty great

Yup, cosign. My favorite gameplay in a FF game. Especially International Zodiac whatever, even if only for the fact that they open all the gambit statements so early.

Also nice that a voiced FF game doesn't make me cringe every 5 seconds. Very good writing and VA considering the series, or genre in general.

Would love to see what the game might have been if not for director woes. Same territory as stuff like NG2 and MGSV, good games that could have been so much more.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9585 Posts

Other than the MMO it all went downhill from there.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@mazuiface: FFXVI doesn't take place in Ivalice. I'm pretty sure that's only FF Tactics, FFXII, and Vagrant Story. FFXVI takes place in a new world called Valisthea.

OT: That's great. I bought FFX on PS2, PS3, PS4 and PS Vita. I'm not buying it anymore, though, since I still have all of them except the PS2 version

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44376 Posts

Also really enjoyed FFXII. Bought that one twice. Once on the PS2 with the original and again with the HD remaster on the Xbox One.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 st_monica
@iambatman7986 said:
@st_monica said:
@iambatman7986 said:

I may try XV at some point again. I remember the battle system leaving me underwhelmed, but maybe I was not fully utilizing it. I was not a fan of FF XII until I was able to truly understand the Gambit system to its fullest. Once I figured that out, I really liked the battle system. I do wish they would get back into turn based games in their bigger budget games. Octopath and Bravely Default were good throwbacks to earlier rpg's.

I also believe that SE has moved past these battle systems due to criticism. It seems like the criticism from XIII was how linear with no towns it was. I actually didn't mind the battle system in it. It wasn't their best, but far from the worst.

FFXV's combat has become a lot more dynamic and fun than it was in its original state with the addition of the character swap feature (a year after its release lol).

Loading Video...

I agree with your views on FFXII and FFXIII. I too was confused by the Gambit system at first, but thanks to living in the internet age I managed to learn with the help of guides and had a lot of fun once I was able to create them as I intended. Also, like you said, FFXIII had more serious problems outside of combat, and I hope that such a turn-based system will be brought back someday in another game.