Have your gaming preferences/habits changed this gen?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45323 Posts

I have definitely gamed more on PC this gen. Once I bought my godly GTX 980TI, it was over. I also bought more digital copies of games. I go physical for games I really want to keep, or games I want to get at launch and sell later and get a digital copy cheap. I also played FPS a lot more. Prior to this gen, I played Killzone 2 and Resistance 2, which were great games. I definitely played more online this gen as well. And last, I owned more systems. Got more into Nintendo this gen. Tried to get into Xbox, but then they stopped supporting exclusivity.

What about you, SW? Have your gaming preferences/habits changed this gen?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Actually yes. I don't really enjoy horror games anymore. The stories are usually pretty bland if they exist at all. Over played jump scares have desensitized me. Resident Evil was my favorite series up until 2009 when Uncharted took that spot and RE has lost much of the enjoyment I had for it. The remakes are good but Capcom has basically killed off the franchise for me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

No. My gaming habits/preferences have remained very consistent over the generations up until now.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61520 Posts

Compared to the end of last-gen, I went heavily PC. I gave up upgrading my PC last-gen and went so-so consoles. Now, the 30fps shit drives me nuts. As much as i'm loving FF7R, i'll play it over again on PC for that 60/120fps.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4252 Posts

Not really. I still like action games on my 3DS. Or Visual novel games, of which Zero Escape comes to mind. I also like educational games like art if those do count as such.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Platform wise, this is the first gen that I've gamed on PC more than consoles. And by a huge margin, like 99% of my game time.

As for games, kinda settled into a comfort zone rather than trying to stay up on just about every genre. Fighting games, 3d beat em ups, platformers, fast paced FPS, pretty much my go-to game types. Will occasionally dip into puzzle games, ARPGs, or stealth when good ones come around, but don't really venture outside that.

Aside from fighting games, I gamed online a whole lot less. The occasional session in an arena shooter, that's about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I purchased a PS4 this gen I skipped PS3 last gen and was strickley a PC gamer since 2005. Sony has some great new SP games this gen so I got one in 2017 and played alot of great exclusives. I still primary game on PC though for traditional games and VR.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1261 Posts

Barely care about story any more and have started skipping cutscenes in some cases, which is something I can't imagine I would have done in 2013/2014.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@my_user_name said:

Barely care about story any more and have started skipping cutscenes in some cases, which is something I can't imagine I would have done in 2013/2014.

Oh yeah, that too.

I can be more forgiving with some titles, but generally don't like any aspects of games that waste my time, story included.

Started feeling that way last gen, but really hit the boiling point this gen.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts
  • Barely play FPS, practically none online.
  • More open to JRPG weeb trash
  • Play far more retro games to remind me of why I liked gaming in the first place
  • Very rarely buy a new title on launch
  • VR fan

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

I played more action and western rpg, alongside 4x sim game this gen. I am a big JRPG fan since PS1 days so probably just finally played every well known jrpg its time to play something else.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

When I went back to console and learned how to play FPS on controller, I've pretty much only played that. I was on an RPG kick back when I last had PC. It could be that some really great FPS came out though IMO.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I barely play multiplayer games anymore. They feel like time sinks designed to get you to buy more shit.

I’m also starting to hate jrpgs with extremely long completion times or ones that make you play the story again to get the full ending. I liked the days when jrpgs were 40-60 hours not 100+ hours which doesn’t include a new game plus playthrough to get the “true” ending.

Basically, as I get older, I have less patience for things that waste my time more than anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I barely play games anymore. For every game I play, I watch about sixty movies now. Also returned to Nintendo for the first time since the Gamecube and realized they shit all over modern Sony.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

Due to a huge debt that I amassed a few years ago from reckless use of credit and wasteful spending, I have stopped buying and playing games last year until I pay off my debts and return to financial stability. I may have to wait until at least 2021 when I will start buying and playing games again.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Last-gen, I was all over the place between PS3/Xbox 360 and game very less on PC but at the start of this gen, I went total digital gaming on PS4 for exclusive games and fully went everything on PC. I love it and never ever look back on the mess I made on consoles. That said, PC gaming at its fullest has never felt so damn good, no more buying games on consoles unless it's exclusive or timely depending on the game of course.

PS4/Nintendo Switch=exclusive games and PC=everything else this gen has to offer. I still play tons of games to this day and that part hasn't changed from last-gen and the previous gen.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

This gen, I went from being a graphics whore to performance whore.

Also, ironically, I went from being a shooter guy to a JRPG guy.(More of actually going back to JRPG).

I still play AAAs from time to time, but I find some of them boring and not really changing the formula. Then again, that's the same with JRPGs. LOL

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

Yeah. Had kids, so I game a lot less. Been able to squeeze in a bit more after getting a Switch, but still takes me forever to play through anything. Looking forwad to when they are old enough to play too.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Lets see:

• Playing a lot less online
  • Lost interest in FPS
  • Avoided Rockstar after GTAV. I only played about an hour before I got bored.
  • Buying a lot less games this gen (ex: Steam sales).
  • I'm more interested in buying games that I know I'll play then collecting (physically and digitally).
  • Playing more indie games then I used to
svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#20 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

-Went from a huge opponent of downloads to getting most games digitally for convenience.

-I used to play RPGs almost exclusively, but have branched out a lot.

-Overall buying less and playing less. Much more selective in my purchases because of industry BS and busy with life so less playtime overall.

-Lost almost all interest in Sony and Microsoft. Dont care about the former’s few exclusives and the latter is pointless if you have a PC. I keep the Xbone almost solely for multiplayer with friends.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Kind of, yeah. I feel I have done my part giving some genres a chance and video game stories a chance, and they are shit. Universally. So I am quicker to just drop a game if I’m not finding it fun.

Much less trying a game in a genre that is straight rubbish: point n click adventure titles or loot rpgs like diablo, destiny, torchlight, etc.

A lot of late last gen and early this gen I yearned to try stuff out of my comfort zone and stuff that was unique, different, and experimented, even if I didn’t like the end result. Now **** that, give me a good game pls.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

RDR2 followed by Assasin’s Creed: Odyssey made me quit OW games. And I doubt I wanna touch another R* or Ubisoft game unless they change their ways. In particular R*.

After a couple of decades gaming I’m slowly starting to understand what I really enjoy and try to focus on those games. Linear, or semi-linear. Action, platforming, or puzzles. In combination or games focusing exclusively on one of those elements. 3d and 2d can both be very fun. Some 2d games are amazing.

I check howlongtobeat now before I get a new game. Want to make sure it’s <20h.

I do like tighter OW games with good mechanics. Games like Spiderman, Arkham City and potentially upcoming Ghost of Tsushima. It’s just the mega blockbuster ones with dull gameplay that have soured me on the genre.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24996 Posts

Strictly play FPS games now and have been disappointed with every other games that are not FPS. last third person game i liked was jedi fallen order but it was one and done. but last third person game i found masterpiece was Max payne 3. although Hitman 2016 was excellent too.

I lost interest in every genre other than FPS or first person games in general. this year I have been playing Doom Eternal and Black Mesa, next is Cyberpunk and Dying light 2. probably gonna play Halo infinite on PC aswell.

if new Batman game released than it would be the third person game i would enjoy but they are taking forever.

so yes. back then i used to enjoy more than FPS. now not anymore.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
  • Barely play FPS,

its opposite for me. i barely play anything other than FPS.

every game that is not FPS or in first person perspective now disappoint me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
  • Barely play FPS,

Aside from Alyx and Onward can't really think of an FPS that was exciting.

Doom 64 was good, didn't play it's preorder bonus.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
  • Barely play FPS,

Aside from Alyx and Onward can't really think of an FPS that was exciting.

Doom 64 was good, didn't play it's preorder bonus.

• Doom
  • Doom Eternal
  • Black Mesa
  • Metro Exodus (i know you wont like it but its excellent)
  • Resident Evil 7 (if it counts but FPP horror)
  • Titanfall 2
  • Prey
  • Shadow warrior 1 (2 suck)

and to look forward to Cyberpunk 2077 starting john wick as Artificial intelligence.

on non FPS side. i couldnot enjoy anything this gen. I enjoyed Hitman 2016 but its not as good as Blood money and its sequel is just inferior DLC. I liked jedi fallen order but its just ok 7/10 game. no desire to replay again.

couldnot enjoy any other non FPS in years. glad that RE8 back to First person or else i wold ignore it. tried playing multiple non FPS. all are crap, because they are.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#27 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5177 Posts

I play online games more, as I use them as time to spend with friends who now live farther away.

I play at best 2-3 hours in a sitting 2 times a week.

I buy a lot less games now, I have other financial responsibilities and I'm planning for future responsibilities.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

I think the biggest change for me is much less interest in the AAA (in terms of production values) space. I have far more interest in indies and AA games.

Probably the only AAA game that really stands out for me this gen is the Witcher 3. I haven't bought a game from EA, activision or ubisoft at all this gen....that i can think of.

i think the AAA sector isn't really targeted at me any more to be fair. its very much MTX and online play driven.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

No. I still enjoy the kind of stuff I always have. Jumping back and forth between genres, SP and MP, as I follow the games that catch my interest.

If anything, I think I'm better now than ever at knowing when a game is crap or not. That means I'm ignoring more games than ever, and I stop playing games which I don't enjoy earlier.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Got a new rig this gen so ive been on PC alot more.

Gave more turn based rpgs a chance, never used to like playing them

I hardly buy anything new or at launch any more

Gamepass on PC is something I diddnt expect to love as much as I do, many games I would have never tried I give a chance now.

I dont get excited for fighting games any more, the DLC character packs have gotten rediculous. Tekken 7 and fighter z are the best fighting games this gen for me, both over did it with season passes. I abandoned street fighter this gen for how bare bones its launch was. My favorite genre was tainted by DLC.

MK 10 XL was a worthy buy since it included every character

Also my backlog is the biggest its ever been, I got more games than I know what to do with. You can get so many older games so cheap nowadays, snagged the Batman Arkham collection for 12 bucks off steam last week, only one ive played was city on 360, epic game store gives me more games than I have time to play..

I got to many games but I'm a sucker for a good deal

just cause 4 is free next week on EGS

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

it changed with the x360, i was pc gamer only pretty much before that. I stuck with it, even stuck with xbox, don't know what to think of these new systems.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

This gen forced me to be a pc gamer. Power jump from ps3/Xbox 360 was not as big as I expected. Games all feel the same. Couldn’t see myself paying $60 a game going forward plus online. Not paying for online this gen alone has paid for my gpu.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

I used to love games like The Sims but i can't play games like them anymore since they have no end goal.

1. I dislike FPS games. Tried getting into them, not a fan of them at all.

2. I buy games, finish them and sell them on. Rarely replay games these days as I don't want to use my time to replay games when I can be playing new ones with the limited time I have as an adult.

3. I play online more these days. I like games where I can play in small bursts since I might only have 30 mins to game at a time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

My habits haven't changed, really. I just have less time (that is, until the coronavirus showed up).

Next gen will be different, however, as I plan on going PC, for the huge library + VR stuffy-stuff. Still sticking with a PS5/PSVR on the console end, though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Unfortunately RTS games bore the shit out of me. They were my favorite genre, but....damn, I Just can't do it any more. Played all the new ones (sadly, not a lot out there these days in the RTS genre), plus some older ones, just didn't keep me occupied.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

a couple of things this gen

• i got burnt out with competitive multiplayer games. i still play it, but im not playing everyday 4+ hours a day. i still like call of duty but i can go months not playing it
  • i like the looter shooter genre. destiny was a great coop experience for me and i met a group that i got close to in real life
  • im finally giving up on 2d platforming games. for years i tried to get into it (weird since i started gaming on the nes)
  • also gave up trying to get into certain game franchises. no longer gonna play mario, zelda, halo,gears, elder scrolls, doom, wolfenstein games, resident evil and some other games. i own a ton of these games so im just gonna TRY TO PLAY and maybe finish these games.
  • i bought a nintendo hardware for the first time since gamecube
  • edit - i dont play as much as i used to
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#37  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Yes. Thanks to indies i have been playing more quality 2d games than during the whole 16bit gen. Also Dreams has finally made me some sort of game designer lol

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Unfortunately RTS games bore the shit out of me. They were my favorite genre, but....damn, I Just can't do it any more. Played all the new ones (sadly, not a lot out there these days in the RTS genre), plus some older ones, just didn't keep me occupied.

This gen was a bad one for RTS. There was Northgard, which was spectacular, but apart from that I can't really think of much.

Luckily though I just got access to the backer beta for Iron Harvest, and can tell you that that will be one crazy good RTS for this year.