How did Sony lock down Spiderman as an exclusive wouldn't marvel want it multiplat?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Marvel controls the video game rights to spiderman so how did they agree with sony over this exclusivity deal I thought those type of games go to all platforms like a star wars game or crash bandicoot.

Sony and the PS4 must have a lot of clout to lock down a character of that magnitude its not even coming to PC either i've heard unbelievable.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

How did Microsoft get a year of exclusivity with Tomb Raider?

Money.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@Telekill said:

Money.

Oh yeah money talks

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I think Sony still owns the rights to the Spider-Man films. Not sure how that extends to games though.

Medicinal420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Medicinal420
Member since 2018 • 30 Posts

I'm going to guess some form of currency was involved

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

THIS particular Spider-Man game is exclusive. I take it future Spidey games won't be unless a console maker chooses it to.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

Sony as a company still owns the rights to Spider-Man and both Marvel & Sony made a deal that Marvel can barrow Spider-Man as much as they want when it comes to movies of course. Sony game division can also use Spider-Man so it's why it's Exclusive on PS4 because of it.

@boycie said:

I think Sony still owns the rights to the Spider-Man films. Not sure how that extends to games though.

It extends to the games as well and not just the movie license.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

Yeah pretty sure it has something to do with money

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Could have been a term of the contract letting the franchise go back to Marvel's movie studios. Sony makes bank on videogames, it would have been a wise decision.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

Sony had the movie rights so marvel and them made a deal. Google exists.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Could have been a term of the contract letting the franchise go back to Marvel's movie studios. Sony makes bank on videogames, it would have been a wise decision.

Sony didn't give all the rights to Marvel Spider-Man, Marvel made a deal with Sony and Marvel can borrow Spider-Man as many times as they like, Sony still owns all of Spider-Man stuff such as his villains. Sony is also making Venom movie so they still own the majority of Spider-Man.

(Don't ask me about Fox deal with Marvel cause I don't know what's going on with those guys in Hollywood)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Shewgenja said:

Sony didn't give all the rights to Marvel Spider-Man, Marvel made a deal with Sony and Marvel can borrow Spider-Man as many times as they like, Sony still owns all of Spider-Man stuff such as his villains. Sony is also making Venom movie so they still own the majority of Spider-Man.

(Don't ask me about Fox deal with Marvel cause I don't know what's going on with those guys in Hollywood)

Tight!

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

> Sony owns Spidey on film.

> Sony let Marvel include him in it's cinematic universe, despite still owning the character on film (which includes paying for the movie and reaping the box office coins)

> In exchange Marvel gave sony the exclusivity to this title.

IMO don't expect any Spider Man games in other consoles any time soon, unless Marvel doesn't want to use the character in their films anymore... the deal will probably last for as long as it's beneficial for both of them

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Drop royalty fees + advertisement, likely.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

Pretty sure Sony still owns the rights to Spider Man.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Disney who owns Marvel controls the rights to Spiderman except for films. That was when Marvel was strapped for liquidity and sold the rights of characters to different studios. Marvel has acquired Fox films so only Spiderman film rights in Sony's hands are not in Disney's control. So, in order to get the "face of Marvel" (only young people will attempt to argue Spiderman isn't) into MCU movies Disney said let us have our character for Civil War and future films, you get to make the solo films that tie in and an exclusive game. Sony, knowing insomniac made a great open world game in Sunset Overdrive and having a history with them hired them to make the game.

Sony doesn't own ALL the rights to Spiderman. Why would Activision be making Spiderman games if they did? Only now do Sony have the right, and I have not found any info stating it is perpetual, to make a Spiderman game.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rafaelmsoares

@cainetao11 said:

Disney who owns Marvel controls the rights to Spiderman except for films. That was when Marvel was strapped for liquidity and sold the rights of characters to different studios. Marvel has acquired Fox films so only Spiderman film rights in Sony's hands are not in Disney's control. So, in order to get the "face of Marvel" (only young people will attempt to argue Spiderman isn't) into MCU movies Disney said let us have our character for Civil War and future films, you get to make the solo films that tie in and an exclusive game. Sony, knowing insomniac made a great open world game in Sunset Overdrive and having a history with them hired them to make the game.

Sony doesn't own ALL the rights to Spiderman. Why would Activision be making Spiderman games if they did? Only now do Sony have the right, and I have not found any info stating it is perpetual, to make a Spiderman game.

While it's not perpetual, the deal will probably last for as long as Disney wants to use Spidey in MCU movies. We'll probably see a Spider Man 2 on ps5 made by Insomniac

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cainetao11

@rafaelmsoares said:

> Sony let Marvel include him in it's cinematic universe, despite still owning the character on film (which includes paying for the movie and reaping the box office coins)

IMO don't expect any Spider Man games in other consoles any time soon, unless Marvel doesn't want to use the character in their films anymore... the deal will probably last for as long as it's beneficial for both of them

No, Marvel studios get all money from any Spiderman appearance in their films, and Sony gets to borrow characters from Disney /Marvel to tie it in with the broader universe, and keep all profits of the solo Spidey films. The game deal was "in good faith" not a direct trade off. The trade off was actors like Downey Jr appearing in Spiderman homecoming when he is not contracted to Sony films.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cainetao11

@rafaelmsoares said:
@cainetao11 said:

While it's not perpetual, the deal will probably last for as long as Disney wants to use Spidey in MCU movies. We'll probably see a Spider Man 2 on ps5 made by Insomniac

"Probably" doesn't exist. I go by what is cemented in fact

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Because Sony has a licensing deal with Marvel for everything "Spider-Man" outside of the comics. That contract was agreed upon before Marvel Studios got off the ground.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@ProtossRushX: From my understanding it was part of the movie deal. Sony still owns the rights to the movies but would allow Spiderman to appear in Marvel owned films(such as Avengers).

I heard exclusive rights to a Spiderman game were part of it.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rafaelmsoares

@cainetao11 said:
@rafaelmsoares said:

No, Marvel studios get all money from any Spiderman appearance in their films, and Sony gets to borrow characters from Disney /Marvel to tie it in with the broader universe, and keep all profits of the solo Spidey films. The game deal was "in good faith" not a direct trade off. The trade off was actors like Downey Jr appearing in Spiderman homecoming when he is not contracted to Sony films.

The Homecoming movie had creative control lent to Marvel, as it's a Marvel Studios movie... but Sony still put out the money to make it and earned all the box office money... the details of this deal was all over the internet, lol. What Marvel got in return was the right to put Spidey in it's other MCU movies (Homecoming is a also MCU movie). Do you really think this whole movie deal had nothing to do with this PS4 exclusivity? That's kinda innocent

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

The advanced engineering of the PS4 and PS4 Pro mean that the devs can realise their full vision, turning dreams into reality; whereas it would need to be compromised to go on the flop twins the XBone and XBoneX

Thank you Sony

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1345 Posts

Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man, they don’t really have a lot of money to throw around like MS does.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Marvel was looking for a great studio to handle one of their big IP's and do it justice. They talked to Sony along the way and wanted Sucker Punch or another big Sony studio on it. Sony said they were busy and said they would talk to Insomniac to see if they were interested. Insomniac said yes and picked Spider-man. I would assume Sony offered to publish and market (and partially fund) it if it remained exclusive.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

they wanted to have a good game and thats why they let sony make it

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3066 Posts

Because even Peter Parker doesn't want to be associated with xbox.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Shewgenja said:

Disney owns Fox. They're just not crossing over right now.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cainetao11

@rafaelmsoares: So what you're saying is my being a ten year owner of stock in Sony or SNE on NYSE, I should forego what my annual reports to shareholders detail and believe you and the rest of the internet?

Okey dokey!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cainetao11

@samfisher56: they wanted to have a good game and thats why they let sony make it"

Yet its insomniac making the game not a sony dev

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@rafaelmsoares: So what you're saying is my being a ten year owner of stock in Sony or SNE on NYSE, I should forego what my annual reports to shareholders detail and believe you and the rest of the internet?

Okey dokey!

The specifics of such individual deals wouldn't even be part of annual financial reports for either SNE or DIS, and annual reports are not private information available only to shareholders, they are public information widely disseminated on the internet.

By all accounts Sony and Disney's deal was basically for Disney to freely use the "new" Spider Man in the cinematic universe, in exchange for helping some of the production costs on the future Columbia Pictures Spider-Man movies for which Sony retained full control. Sony does retain control over Spider-Man (hence Columbia pictures is the lead producer on Homecoming, and Sony was the distributor both theatrically and for home video). Hell, this information was announced by Marvel themselves! https://news.marvel.com/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man/

It would not at all be surprising if this Spider-Man game was a small little detail originally agreed upon during these negotiations, the timing should make that a fairly obvious conclusion.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Why did Sony use the Spiderman font on the PS3... because they have a contract, they have exclusive rights the the films as long as they keep making them, probably extends to other media in some way.

AcePilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AcePilot
Member since 2017 • 98 Posts

I'd say, Sony's long time existence on the film industry has paid off.

Apparently, there are some implications of other Marvel heroes like Avengers building, Stark Tower, Wakandan Embassy and Sanctum Sanctorum in the upcoming SM game. This means that Marvel is once again making a serious approach to the gaming industry after the success of the MCU.

Since Sony knows how to make a movie-like game, Marvel is likely to continue to outsource their other hard core console based games to Sony like this case. I can safely assume that if the SM PS4 is successful, all future Marvel's heroes games will be exclusive to Playstation.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12381 Posts

Marvel approached Sony knowing very well that it wouldn't be multiplat. They basically asked for it.

https://youtu.be/wdWt2HFvWRk?t=15m

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@Telekill said:

Money.

Oh yeah money talks

So you've answered your own thread. Why make it?

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Maybe Sony worked out a deal with marvel,to allow Spiderman appear in the Avengers movies, which then Marvel gave exclusive to sony for the Spiderman game /shrug

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By cainetao11

@2Chalupas said:
@cainetao11 said:

Okey dokey!

The specifics of such individual deals wouldn't even be part of annual financial reports for either SNE or DIS, and annual reports are not private information available only to shareholders, they are public information widely disseminated on the internet.

By all accounts Sony and Disney's deal was basically for Disney to freely use the "new" Spider Man in the cinematic universe, in exchange for helping some of the production costs on the future Columbia Pictures Spider-Man movies for which Sony retained full control. Sony does retain control over Spider-Man (hence Columbia pictures is the lead producer on Homecoming, and Sony was the distributor both theatrically and for home video). Hell, this information was announced by Marvel themselves! https://news.marvel.com/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man/

It would not at all be surprising if this Spider-Man game was a small little detail originally agreed upon during these negotiations, the timing should make that a fairly obvious conclusion.

Never claimed they were private. Just that I get them and read thoroughly any shareholder news I get on any stock I own with CapOneInvesting. I will believe them over a guy on SW every day.

And as I originally said to him it was "good faith" thing but there is No factual details. Even you said, "It would not be at all surprising IF..." So in other words no factual evidence. I don't conclude on opinion be it mine, yours or anyone's.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Marvel approached Sony knowing very well that it wouldn't be multiplat. They basically asked for it.

That's awesome. They probably saw the quality work Sony was putting behind Uncharted 4 and wanted their IP to get the same kind of treatment.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cainetao11

@quadknight said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

That's awesome. They probably saw the quality work Sony was putting behind Uncharted 4 and wanted their IP to get the same kind of treatment.

So it didn't have anything to do with the movie deal?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 QuadKnight

@cainetao11: Looks like it didn’t have anything to do with the movie deal if that guy is to believed. That’s pretty amazing they could get Marvel’s attention like that without having to sign deals. ? Looks like Marvel loves Sony’s “movie games” unlike most of SW.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cainetao11

@quadknight said:

@cainetao11: Looks like it didn’t have anything to do with the movie deal if that guy is to believed. That’s pretty amazing they could get Marvel’s attention like that without having to sign deals. ? Looks like Marvel loves Sony’s “movie games” unlike most of SW.

LOL "Amazing"? Dude you're a cow, why are you surprised by Marvel being impressed with Sony's first party? Aren't you impressed by it? I shit sure am.

And this does exactly what I was conversing with others about: keeps a narrative that the movie deal wasn't tied to it. I figured it was a "good faith" nod but guess Im wrong.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 QuadKnight

@cainetao11 said:
@quadknight said:

LOL "Amazing"? Dude you're a cow, why are you surprised by Marvel being impressed with Sony's first party? Aren't you impressed by it? I shit sure am.

And this does exactly what I was conversing with others about: keeps a narrative that the movie deal wasn't tied to it. I figured it was a "good faith" nod but guess Im wrong.

:P Oh I'm not surprised. I love the movie games but I assumed since lems were telling me "movie games" suck that Marvel thought the same lol.

I actually thought the deal was in "good faith" just like you.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cainetao11

@quadknight said:
@cainetao11 said:
@quadknight said:

:P Oh I'm not surprised. I love the movie games but I assumed since lems were telling me "movie games" suck that Marvel thought the same lol.

I actually thought the deal was in "good faith" just like you.

Its just a given thing in gaming at this point to me. I get Great Zelda from Nintendo, Great games from Sony and great MP fun from MSFT. Thats how my gaming has been for a while now. Would love to see Sony really get a great MP thing going. I'm in the minority because I loved GoW Ascensions MP. My squad and I used bust ass at that game. I'd like a deep RPG experience from Xbox that isn't cartoony.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

pretty sure sony still owns the rights to the spiderman ip

They've only allowed marvel studios to use his characters in the movies

mariokart64fan