sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Used to be so against publisher and devs touching Superman. I think dude overpowered powers just not fun in a video game and his earth story/metropolis just frankly sucks but after playing the Batman Arkham games and NMS again I just realized he could work.

Traversal:

Superman flying through the universe
Superman flying through the universe

Combat:

Mega boss fights is possible due to power of next gen and PC. Cloud for switch
Mega boss fights is possible due to power of next gen and PC. Cloud for switch

Destruction:

Already possible on PS2 (gif actually mercenaries 2 on 360)
Already possible on PS2 (gif actually mercenaries 2 on 360)

Plot:

Spiderman, Batman Arkham, Avengers all have pretty good story
Spiderman, Batman Arkham, Avengers all have pretty good story

Side Missions:

Skyrim Radiant Quests. Unlimited quests!
Skyrim Radiant Quests. Unlimited quests!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah Superman character probably butchered a bit he just wants to live on earth with his family and he prefer his real identity as Clark Kent but who gives a shit. Nobody wants to play some farm boy. What you guys think of this?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

Don't care about superman or any superhero for that matter, but i do want a game with physics that we have never seen before. But just like AI, its like the developers aren't even trying.

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

I don’t see how it can work. How does Superman fly between buildings so fast? Have a slow-down time button on the controller so that players can control the blistering speed? And then what hurts him? Will there be any risk/reward gameplay without the risk of injury? When you die, you’re gonna exclaim “Superman died from that?”

So many issues with that god-build. I just don’t see what can be done to make that fun for hours on end. Might be better as a VR experience.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Tech wise devs could certainly do a lot more now. but superman is a very difficult game to make a fun game around. he is basically a god.

Factor 5, i think it was, had an interesting prototype where the city was essentially Supermans health bar. but it was still just a health bar.

maybe a variant of that could be used though where its a lot more granular and where how you use your powers has consequences.

e.g. you are fighting a monster at street level, it picks up a car and throws it at you. you dodge it but it ends up smashing into a lot of people in the area who are trying to get away. after the fight a news reel comes up basically saying "Boo superman!!". or you manage to catch it, use it to beat up the monster and everyone cheers "Superman Superman!!". A bit like fable in a lot of ways.

The only thing with such a system is the player is going to be REALLY tempted to reload if they mess up. it could really descend into a mess of bad thing happens, hit start and reload. i dont think it would be fun for the game to repeatedly berate the player for making bad choices or mistakes.

It works for fable because the player is actively choosing to be good or ba. so everyone running away and cowering is not a negative outcome for a player choosing to be evil.

It would be interesting to see someone take a crack at a new superman game though.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3258 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Don't care about superman or any superhero for that matter, but i do want a game with physics that we have never seen before. But just like AI, its like the developers aren't even trying.

The last game with amazing AI was F.E.A.R. and that was back in 2005. Sadly no fps ever had AI like that game did.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 721 Posts

He is op, his games woild not be fun, even if you could make them. His movies have the same problem

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sakaiXx

@osan0: The Superman Returns tie in game did that. Superman himself is unkillable but the city have a health bar.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

@hardwenzen:

Can't agree more... I think of games like Destruction Derby, Driver, Red Faction, Bad Company, etc, etc, from eras gone by & how much these games pushed certain aspects for those times, & sh!t seems to have actually gone backwards in some instances.....For example the visible destruction in games like Destruction Derby & Burnout Point Of Impact were absolutely mind blowing for that time.......but modern games are just not pushing it at all...many big studios/publishers gimped by car manufacturers not allowing it in any realistic capacity....& smaller studios not being able to put that kind of development cost into the arcade racer genre many seem to have moved on from, or prefer proper licensed cars over realistic destruction based physics in them.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2150 Posts

Why? Other than flying, the game would be trash - just like a GTA superman mod with god mode on. What would be the point.

I would rather see MS implement a superman mode in MSFS.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@osan0: The Superman Returns tie in game did that. Superman himself is unkillable but the city have a health bar.

Superman Returns and Superman Shadow of Apokolips games were a step in the good direction I'd say, the Health bar being the state of Metropolis rather than Superman once Metropolis is wrecked game over was a smart move at the time.

But in order to make a good Superman game, one must know the mythos of Krytonians and only thing, you'll have yourself a Superman game. If it were up to me, a Superman game would have the Solar/health mechanic would be the best way to go. The top is a "Solar" meter, and below it is the standard "health" meter. The "health" meter can only be reduced if the "Solar" meter is empty. The "Solar" meter represents his solar reserves and is reduced when he uses his heat ray vision, ice-breath, or takes damage. But it's also constantly regenerating under yellow sunlight. So against weaker enemies Superman is functionally invincible, but against stronger enemies they pose a real threat. Once the "Solar" meter is empty, Superman will take damage normally to his "health" meter. "Passive" abilities like flight, strength, or vision-based power don't deplete the "Solar" meter, but are disabled if it's empty.

You can also have situations where Green Kryptonite slowly drains the solar meter and prevents regeneration, and red sunlight disables the Solar meter entirely. And only then, you'll got yourself a well established Superman game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sakaiXx

@rmpumper: why not. There no reason not to try and innovate. Everyone moans about ubisoft styled open world games anyway.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#12 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Maybe all that technology could make Superman less dull and insufferable as well.

Sorry. Speaking as someone who grew up on DC comics, Supes was the one character I never liked. Seeing that stubborn muscle-bound meathead leading the Justice League never sat right with me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@madrocketeer: I maybe a Marvel guy but Superman is still my top 5 DC characters so yeah, I like the Kryptonian. Respect the Man of Steel!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8509 Posts

I don't want another Superhero game/franchise. I mean the over abundance of MCU and then DCEU just ruined it however why do people think Superman is overpowered compared to others? Isn't he practically useless against Kryptonite?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@pc_rocks: Not if he wears his anti-kryptonite suit. Then it’s useless against him.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

@AcidTango said:
@hardwenzen said:

The last game with amazing AI was F.E.A.R. and that was back in 2005. Sadly no fps ever had AI like that game did.

Well, actually, Escape From Tarkov AI does things you usually don't see AI do in games.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@hardwenzen: No body does AI better than Zelda Breath of the Wild.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2259 Posts

Mehh Superman needs to die imo, already ruined several dc movies, and while I enjoy the Lois and Clark show, I am getting sick of seeing every villain pull kryptonite out of their asses again and again… dude is simply to overpowered without some kind of stupid gimmick to make him weak!

You can say what you want about the MCU, but damn did they make a good choice when they severally de powered Thor and hulk compared to the comics! Also sane reason why I dread where they are going with captain marvel!

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I don't know. I mean, Spiderman games bore the crap out of me and he's way more interesting a superhero than Superman. I cannot think of a more poorly written, generic, repetitive superhero than the one who was given virtually every power to the point they had to fabricate a random, arbitrary weakness. I mean come on, a magic rock?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

Although to be fair, this game isn't great, alot of it is the IP getting it by.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@djoffer123: Marvel and the Russo brothers ruined the Hulk over time, good writers can work around what appears to be an overpowered hero, but that's not what we got sadly.

Superman's had a 3 good movies over the years, it can be done and a game could easily be done with the right developer.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2259 Posts

@vfighter: mehh the first old Superman movie was decent(not great) and enjoyed the first one in the DCU, otherwise most of them have been pretty bad imo!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

They could have made one a long time ago. Superman Returns was actually not bad in terms of mechanics, they just didn't build much of a world in there, didn't give him enough to do. The flight mechanics and powers were actually pretty decent.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sakaiXx

@uninspiredcup: the advantages of goku personally is that he has rivals on his planets to spar constantly and for reasons his base form is relatively weak.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sakaiXx

@HalcyonScarlet: I think there is no need for Metropolis or Earth to have be included. Like Batman Arkham games the locations can be specific. Why not have superman saves some planet where the relative strength is comparable and superman can fly out into few other worlds. Probably butcher his Clark Kent identity but its a good setting.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

After the huge success of Spiderman on PS4, I've always hoped someone would make a Deadpool game the same way.

Wolverine is a great character, but he's got nothing on Deadpool imo

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@HalcyonScarlet: I think there is no need for Metropolis or Earth to have be included. Like Batman Arkham games the locations can be specific. Why not have superman saves some planet where the relative strength is comparable and superman can fly out into few other worlds. Probably butcher his Clark Kent identity but its a good setting.

Could you imagine if someone made a Superman game and MS let them use the world servers from Flight Sim.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

I'd be down ,but I don't know...kind of experiencing superhero fatigue at this point. At least the major ones.

I'd be up for a lesser-known hero (or even villain), or some generic stuff like Freedom Force or what have you.

@vaativids said:

I don’t see how it can work. How does Superman fly between buildings so fast? Have a slow-down time button on the controller so that players can control the blistering speed? And then what hurts him? Will there be any risk/reward gameplay without the risk of injury? When you die, you’re gonna exclaim “Superman died from that?”

So many issues with that god-build. I just don’t see what can be done to make that fun for hours on end. Might be better as a VR experience.

You could easily deus ex machina a situation.

For example, oh I don't know, a supervillain darkened the sun, and with reduced powers superman must undo the evil deed. Suddenly you have a less powerful *gasp!* but still capable Superman. You could add some mechanic to the game where for every milestone Superman regains some of his lost power, until finally when the end boss fight happens he is at 99% strength or something.

Idunno just spitballing here.

VR would be amazing though.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

What we really just need is a remaster of the brilliant Superman 64 on Nintendo 64.

Oh no, I didn't just say that!

Anyway, let Insomniac develop a Superman game. I'm sure they will come up with something really decent.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Although to be fair, this game isn't great, alot of it is the IP getting it by.

Pretty much, yeah. But the concept is good and the comparison to Superman does make sense.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

A good Superman game would be possible now. It could work for sure. I would like to see one detailing metropolis with Clark facing multiple villains.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@sakaixx: similar movement to Anthem, and it'd be fine.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4389 Posts

@AcidTango said:
@hardwenzen said:

your right.

ai and physic have went backwards. due to pretty graphics are king and that takes most of the gpu

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

This game has been on PC since 2019. It's a little rough, but it's a free demo on Steam from three college students making a superman game. It just goes to show what hungry new developers can do, because if three students can make a game like that, then just imagine what a full studio of developers could do if their corporate overlords allowed them to actually do it.

Undefeated Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C62ypZeR-6A

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Play Megaton Rainfall

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Isn’t theDragon Ball game pretty much a super man game .

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

I don't think being overpowered is necessarily an issue. Goku is overpowered, yet there's many DBZ games. And video game characters like Dante, Bayonetta, Asura and especially Kirby are also overpowered. What matters is how you design the game around the character's powers. Open-world action-adventures like Spider-Man and Batman Arkham wouldn't work, as they're fairly grounded in reality. But over-the-top hack & slash action games, fighting games or space combat games could work, as they're not grounded in reality.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#38 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

@Jag85 said:

I don't think being overpowered is necessarily an issue. Goku is overpowered, yet there's many DBZ games. And video game characters like Dante, Bayonetta, Asura and especially Kirby are also overpowered. What matters is how you design the game around the character's powers. Open-world action-adventures like Spider-Man and Batman Arkham wouldn't work, as they're fairly grounded in reality. But over-the-top hack & slash action games, fighting games or space combat games could work, as they're not grounded in reality.

Superman is GODLIKE, which makes designing a game around him problematic. The best solution is to use oldschool superman which is nowhere close to the ridiculous version we have now.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

@Pedro: Goku, Dante, Bayonetta, Asura and Kirby are all godlike beings. Kirby is one of the most powerful fictional characters in existence (yes, more powerful than Goku and Superman). It all comes down to the game design.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Superman's fictional problem is fodder enemies.

The set up has to be like Darksied invading or Brainiac or some shit. Human beings are literally not even kind of a threat to him. That's where the Megaton Rainfall+the city is the health bar is the real wave for Superman.

But making a triple A game with some creative balls isn't happening. Much more likely we would get Superman with batman combat or some dumb shit.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#41 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@Pedro: Goku, Dante, Bayonetta, Asura and Kirby are all godlike beings. Kirby is one of the most powerful fictional characters in existence (yes, more powerful than Goku and Superman). It all comes down to the game design.

Asura was a mediocre game but moving beyond that, game design around an established IP is not the same as designing games without a connection to an established IP. Anything and everything relating to Superman, would need a greenlight from DC. Superman has become uninteresting because they have made him undefeatable, which is counter-intuitive to general gaming experiences.