If streaming is the future, how come Nintendo continues to win?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45266 Posts

Nintendo is by far the most old school of the big three. Crappy online experience, bare minimum user interface, Wii U level hardware, sells $60 ports, no backwards compatibility (old games locked behind a subscription fee). First party games barely drop in price. They still support physical gaming (which is amazing). I mean, according to recent revelations, Nintendo should be dead right now. But instead they're still killing it with no end in sight and the Switch 2 gets hyped on the daily.

So what do you think, SW? If streaming is the future, how come Nintendo continues to win? Can they still continue with their current model?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

Because we’re not there yet.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39243 Posts

lol this company can't even do online multiplayer in 2022. Even if they wanted a GP like service, its only by 2041 that they'll discover that technology.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

For someone to "win" at something, they first have to be competing in the first place. Nintendo have cornered their own little niche, and aren't really competing directly with anyone.

The technology isn't there for cloud to replace local hardware gaming yet. For now, cloud will have to be a supplementary service. We'll have to wait and see if it's really "the future."

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7262 Posts

Has anyone tried the cloud versions of games on switch they are miles behind in terms of online infrastructure.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12325 Posts

Content is king and, Nintendo has IP that other just dream of.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7262 Posts

My problem with Nintendo is does there IP really push the industry forward.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22784 Posts

I purchased a switch because the hardware design is perfection. A hybrid handheld/console? I'm in. I likely wouldn't purchase a standalone console from them again.

My steam deck will likely take over the switch in the coming months, but Nintendo always has a place if the development is good and the hardware design isn't a dud.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic  Online

@TheEroica said:

I purchased a switch because the hardware design is perfection. A hybrid handheld/console? I'm in. I likely wouldn't purchase a standalone console from them again.

My steam deck will likely take over the switch in the coming months, but Nintendo always has a place if the development is good and the hardware design isn't a dud.

Come on man, I don't believe that at all. Breath of the Wild 2 says hi.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22784 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@TheEroica said:

Come on man, I don't believe that at all. Breath of the Wild 2 says hi.

Damn it.... My kryptonite.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The Switch absolutely has streaming games. I’ve tried a couple myself. It works pretty well for what it is. But streaming is only part of the future. Portability is also the future. Not being tethered to your TV, or your house for that matter. People are busy. People do stuff. But people can always find some time to play a game. Allowing the games to go with people, anywhere, is the best way to capitalize on money making opportunities. Look at the revenue generated by the mobile market. It dwarfs the console market. And it isn’t because of quality. It’s the mobility/availability of the games.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8304 Posts

@goldenelementxl: yeah Nintendo is already using streaming because the hardware can't hold up. Control and Hitman 3 for example.

Even the KH collection is going to be through the cloud... That one doesn't make sense to me tho... Those old games aren't even demanding. Just square and Nintendo being lazy bums.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8162 Posts

Nintendo isn't competing with anyone.. they've been very vocal and clear on that ever since they released the Wii..

currently, they basically have a monopoly on the handheld market and are reaping the benefits of that..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8162 Posts
@goldenelementxl said:

The Switch absolutely has streaming games. I’ve tried a couple myself. It works pretty well for what it is. But streaming is only part of the future. Portability is also the future. Not being tethered to your TV, or your house for that matter. People are busy. People do stuff. But people can always find some time to play a game. Allowing the games to go with people, anywhere, is the best way to capitalize on money making opportunities. Look at the revenue generated by the mobile market. It dwarfs the console market. And it isn’t because of quality. It’s the mobility/availability of the games.

agreed..

heck, i'd pick up a Switch if/when they finally add a Game Pass app.. no question.. i could do Nintendo 1st party and continue my Xbox games from one dedicated device..

currently, i just can't pull the trigger for Nintendo games only though since i play all 3rd parties elswhere.. but clearly i'm in the minority on that one and their 3rd party support is "good enough" for their target audience..

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Nintendo is by far the most old school of the big three. Crappy online experience, bare minimum user interface, Wii U level hardware, sells $60 ports, no backwards compatibility (old games locked behind a subscription fee). First party games barely drop in price. They still support physical gaming (which is amazing). I mean, according to recent revelations, Nintendo should be dead right now. But instead they're still killing it with no end in sight and the Switch 2 gets hyped on the daily.

So what do you think, SW? If streaming is the future, how come Nintendo continues to win? Can they still continue with their current model?

brand loyalty and mobile market. for many it's the best mobile experience and the only way to play mario, zelda, etc. and it has the childrens market. it fills a niche that sony and MS and PC don't

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Because we live in the present?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16566 Posts

Because they are nintendo, why even ask the obvious. If they went 3rd party, they could just do what activision does with call of duty, but do it with Pokémon instead, milk out yearly versions and sell 20 million copies per year like it's nothing. Mario kart 8 sold nearly 40 million units on switch. The best selling cod of all time sold 31 million units across multiple platforms. Animal crossing sold 35 million units and it was a cultural phenomenon. If they went multiplat, they would sell close to 50 million units.

But nintendo is also hit or miss. Sometimes they sell bonkers like with the wii, or the switch. Other times they sell ass like with the wii u or gamecube.

Whatever the case, nintendo will always try and innovate. People are expecting the next nintendo console to be a hybrid again. But there's no guarantee. They're probably cooking up something interesting.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16566 Posts

Also since you've been coping alot for the past 2 days, I will say this. On my part, even though I'm mostly a lemming and sheep, I will always end up buying a PlayStation, whether or not MS takes all the 3rd party games onto gamepass doesn't matter. Unless MS gets uncharted, spiderman, wolverine, tlou, persona, etc etc that will be the case. But to me anyway, it seems like MS is trying to push gamepass onto the Playstation and nintendo platform. So that would end up being a good thing for overall for ps5 owners.

The difference between nintendo and sony is that nintendo has way more power and can just about ignore MS, even if they buy every single developer out there. Well, nintendo and MS have decent relationship though.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

Because they carved their own niche and don't directly compete with the other companies.

It's not a good long-term strategy, and it shows when Nintendo has turbulent success by the generation. One generation they can have wild success while the next they do poorly.

I think it's gonna catch up to Nintendo eventually, though, and then they're forced to play modest catch-up; but I think it will come a point where they'll need to catch up entirely in order to stay relevant.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3482 Posts

Nintendo should be dead by now because of their anti-consumerism, but their IPs are selling like hotcakes

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Because Nintendo games are awesome?

But, I think eventually they will.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

@omegamaster said:

Nintendo should be dead by now because of their anti-consumerism, but their IPs are selling like hotcakes

I thought that all console makers are anti-consumer, not just Nintendo. And speaking of anti-consumerism, do the majority of gamers even care about it or is it just the "hardcore" gamers that do?

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Mainstream casual games that you can just pick up and play in which take only a few button presses to enjoy will always outperform the more hardcore game. Soccer moms, old people and little kids love simple games like Candy Crush and Animal Crossing.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

These threads never disappoint. So much damage control by salty cows and lems.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46445 Posts

Traditional gaming > Metaverse, NFTs, Microtransactions, season passes, lootboxes, battle pass, streaming, live services ... and all the other shit these AAA companies keep claiming we ask for.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Streaming is absolutely the future for the Switch (3rd party games). As the hardware struggles to run games it will be the only option hence games like Dying light 2 and Kingdom Hearts which are cloud based only.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2146 Posts

Because we don't live is said future. It's at least two console gens away, or, in other world, until Murica stops being a 3rd world country as far as internet speed is concerned.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44152 Posts

The only one Nintendont are competing with, smartphone/tablet mobile gaming has moooaar gamers streaming their games than Nintendont's total sales over their lifetime. lol xCloud FTW. :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

Oh god. perish the day streaming is actually considered "the future". ugh...horrid. i have one rule about where i play my games: if i cant physically touch the thing running the game then i have absolutely 0 interest. I would rather adopt mobile gaming than use streaming....ew.

As for nintendo. Well i had a look at my crystal ball and it was very cloudy. Can they continue as they are? probably not. They are rolling on money now but all their eggs are also in 1 basket. if the switch 2 is a repeat of the wiiu then nintendo is in big big trouble..and it very well could be. Nintendos history is a roller coaster (its what makes them so interesting :P).

I think they need to branch out again and have more than 1 device. In saying that, i dont think they should try and compete directly with MS and sony. they can't outspend them..not in the long terms.

As much as we all want to see the pic in real time on a switch 2 in real time....it aint happening :P.

They are having success in the health sector though when they do try it (Wii fit and ring fit adventure have been very successful). Perhaps partnering with gyms to use Nintendo made gym equipment in a Wii fit 2, combined with hooking up your joycon2 to said equipment to track all your progress....could be worth looking into (in fairness to them, the ring that comes with RFA is actually quite good quality).

Education could be a growth area for them too. Learning Electronics by building your own Gameboy then learning some software development by making games for it (its not a new idea but having something with the nintendo name behind it, and priced right, could get a lot of people interested)...that kind of thing.

Long term i dont think they can rely on just releasing a Switch 2, 3, 4 etc. and expect it to do the business every time so they need more of a plan B.

Nintendo, at their heart, are still a toymaker (reminder: thats not an insult and should be seen as one) and they still need to find ways to attract more people to buy said toys.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic  Online

@R4gn4r0k said:

Traditional gaming > Metaverse, NFTs, Microtransactions, season passes, lootboxes, battle pass, streaming, live services ... and all the other shit these AAA companies keep claiming we ask for.

isn't it amazing how the industry tries to innovate when it comes to service, but what about gameplay lol

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yea, gaming less and less and for good reason.

Not about creativity any-more but chancers trying their hand with the latest and hottest pyramid schemes.

Indie and similar less high profile games keeping that dimly lit candle going.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup: How are your blender escapades going?

Personally I always like a mix of older games with newer games.

For example I'm playing Vice City atm. It's simple, it's fun.

Modern games constantly begging me to open my wallet.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Still a disgusting nub. Nowhere near Conan level. Making assets for fantastic shows like Star Trek: Discovery.

Yea, the GTA games on this board seem to get alot of venom.

Sure, yep. They are simple. No argument there. But stuff like Vice City still find them mega-fun. Esp the world they create.

Still play shit like GTA3/Vice City over any number of Ubisoft busy-work.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup: Heck, I'd go as far back as GTA 2 and still have fun.

If you are down for more simpler/older games you could always get an Anbernic or Steam Deck and enjoy these games in a new way: on a handheld :D

You're definitely improving, blender can't put a limit on your creativity!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic  Online

Nintendo adds N64 games behind a pay wall = makes more money lol