Is DMC V the greatest action game? Can Bayonetta 3 beat it?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45338 Posts

I recently beat DMC V (not a long game by any means), and it's definitely one of my favorite action games this gen. The combat mechanics are really, really good and innovative. Do I think Bayonetta 3 can beat it? I think so.The level design in DMC V wasn't that great. It didn't have a lot of inspiration. The bosses were really well designed, though. Also, having three characters to keep switching between can be tedious. The controls are complex (which I like), but they do require some thought. Bayonetta has that more impulsive action fun. I also find Bayonetta combat to be more smooth, and Witch time is a blast.

What do you think, SW? Is DMC V the greatest action game? Can Bayonetta 3 beat it?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61523 Posts

Like you said, I think the biggest grievance was level design... Something DmC did better, and DMC4 even with the backtracking. As for the gameplay, it's absolutely splendid. Each character plays markedly differently, with V being the easiest and Dante being the hardest. Dante is a bitch to keep enemies in the air without jump cancel.

Sadly, I never got into the Bayonetta craze, though I own the first on PC. I played a bit of the game but stopped after a while. My new DMC binge may culminate in a full Bayonetta playthrough.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic  Online

@lundy86_4: come on man, you gotta play Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59211 Posts

My gods what a qeastion, you are a bold one.

Yes.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44369 Posts

I just beat Devil May Cry 5 a second time and think that it’s an amazing game but yeah I think that Bayonetta 3 can top it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Bayonetta 3 could be more reviewer friendly, much like Bayonetta 2, but if the same exact mistakes are made as Bayonetta 2 (which is a worse game than 1 for anyone who actually likes action games), then it has no chance in hell of being a better action game than DMC5. DMC5 on Nero alone is a more decked out kit than any other action game. What they let Dante do? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Either way give me some Bayonetta 3, alternatively Astral Chain better be good.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Don't know. It might be better in some of the non combat aspects.

Also f**k Vergil.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Couldn't get into Bayonetta. Loved Devil May Cry 5. 10/10.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25004 Posts

No. its just another hack n slash cinematic game.

heres the best third person action game still.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56296 Posts

I have a feeling Bayonetta 3 will blow DMC5 out of the water in terms of presentation. Probably won't in the gameplay department, and definitely not in the texture department, but in terms of epic action and over-the-top-ness, it can easily surpass DMC5. DMC5 really didn't offer much in that department and don't get me wrong, DMC5 has excellent action, pacing and a gripping story overall. It has flaws in its story and lacks variety in its adventuring elements but overall it’s a blast to play. All I wanted was for it to exceed DMC4 and it did that and then some. Only time will tell if Bayonetta 3 is on the same level.

All in all, I like both Devil May Cry & Bayonetta, I don't like comparing both despite they're born from the same roots. They're both different enough that I can enjoy both. I don't see the point of debating which series is better when they're both good games on their own merits and can be enjoyed separately.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

Devil may cry 5 is definitely the best action game this gen. My only problem with it is how bad the music is. It's horrible compared to the previous games, infuriatingly bad compared to dmc4 even.

Eh, its fine though. The game is so damn good.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm personally not a fan of the witch time mechanic. You spend most the game in slow motion.

Devil May Cry 5 is incredible

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Honestly greatest action game of all time is such a broad category because so many famous games are action this would genuinely be a very difficult comparison that could take a really long time

to figure out where everything should fit.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61523 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I should really get around to Bayonetta. Maybe once i'm done DMC4, and then DMC5 DMD mode lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
deactivated-5cab66ac558b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cab66ac558b0
Member since 2018 • 78 Posts

No for the first question and maybe for the second one.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#16 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19649 Posts

Speaking of DMC5, its director Hideaki Itsuno is a pretty underrated game designer. While Hideki Kamiya often gets most of the credit for DMC, it's Itsuno that directed the most acclaimed DMC games, DMC3 and DMC5. And he also directed classics like Rival Schools, Power Stone, Capcom vs. SNK, and Dragon's Dogma. I think he's one of the industry's best action game designers, a worthy replacement for Kamiya at Capcom.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

I liked DMC 5, but I do not like Nico as a character annoying voice and terrible dialogue.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp
@Jag85 said:

Speaking of DMC5, its director Hideaki Itsuno is a pretty underrated game designer. While Hideki Kamiya often gets most of the credit for DMC, it's Itsuno that directed the most acclaimed DMC games, DMC3 and DMC5. And he also directed classics like Rival Schools, Power Stone, Capcom vs. SNK, and Dragon's Dogma. I think he's one of the industry's best action game designers, a worthy replacement for Kamiya at Capcom.

Eh tbh Kamiya by gaming media types doesn't get anywhere near enough credit, they often have to be reminded of the fact that he also did Resident Evil 2 and Okami and Viewtiful Joe. Recency bias n all that, and in the case of Itsuno, with the DMC fanbase, we love Kamiya for creating the series, but pretty much all of us are at the altar of Itsuno for further developing one of the best battle systems ever. As good as Bayonetta is, it's a very different type of action game from what Itsuno has gone with.

As far as action game genre, specifically beat em ups like these. The top 2 are Itsuno n Kamiya and it's a matter of what you want to value more. Do you want to value cut n dry who has the deepest core combat mechanics, well that's Itsuno. Or do you want to side with the more inventive designer who has more unique entries in the genre: DMC1, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and The Wonerful 101 (and in a way you can argue Okami). Then Kamiya takes the spot. Either way it's those 2 and everyone else either only made one game of note (Mikami with God Hand, arguably the best game in the genre tho) or you got Itagaki (glorious Ninja Gaiden Black and still pretty good Ninja Gaiden 2) who hasn't done shit since he left Team Ninja, and they went n made Nioh without him. Barlog, easily best cat in the west tho. Since he got a good game out of God of War, fucking twice. Second time made a cool, albeit not that deep battle system.

But yeah top 2 dogs are Itsuno n Kamiya, and its funny how all these devs backgrounds shape the type of combat they make.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Raining51

The Ninja Gaiuden series of all things I think is at least sorta comparable to both honestly...

DonaId

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DonaId
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts

Bayonetta 3 will top the boyband game called DMCV that shoves cutscenes down your throat

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic  Online

Am I the only one who enjoys the music in the Bayonetta games? As nonsensical as they are? They're so catchy.

NerdRAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22 NerdRAGE
Member since 2019 • 35 Posts

I have DMC V on Steam but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'm still working on RE2 which I am really enjoying. I'm sure I'll have a blast with it when I get around to finally playing it, but Bayonetta has always been my favorite between the two games. Platinum really knows what their doing when it comes to her, so I'm counting on them to literally blow our doors off when Bayonetta 3 finally releases.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

I doubt I will personallly enjoy Bayonetta 3 more than DMC V. I enjoyed bayonetta 1 and 2 alot but feel they are inferior to the DMC games(barring DMC2 of course). Having said that I am still very excited for Bayonetta 3 and am confident the game will be amazing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp
@SolidGame_basic said:

Am I the only one who enjoys the music in the Bayonetta games? As nonsensical as they are? They're so catchy.

Bayonetta's soundtrack is fantastic, nothing nonsensical about it. Lyrically, given that they are covers they stand up better than say the lyrics in Revengeance (tho its the best kind of dumb) or DMC (again the best kind of dumb). And they are a more feminine spin on those jams, plus the boss music is clean as ****. Platinum games in general has killer soundtracks. Madworld is wack as a game, but the music is all killer no filler.

headninjadog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 headninjadog
Member since 2005 • 742 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:I have the soundtrack for the first game. I love it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jag85

@jg4xchamp said:
@Jag85 said:

Eh tbh Kamiya by gaming media types doesn't get anywhere near enough credit, they often have to be reminded of the fact that he also did Resident Evil 2 and Okami and Viewtiful Joe. Recency bias n all that, and in the case of Itsuno, with the DMC fanbase, we love Kamiya for creating the series, but pretty much all of us are at the altar of Itsuno for further developing one of the best battle systems ever. As good as Bayonetta is, it's a very different type of action game from what Itsuno has gone with.

As far as action game genre, specifically beat em ups like these. The top 2 are Itsuno n Kamiya and it's a matter of what you want to value more. Do you want to value cut n dry who has the deepest core combat mechanics, well that's Itsuno. Or do you want to side with the more inventive designer who has more unique entries in the genre: DMC1, Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and The Wonerful 101 (and in a way you can argue Okami). Then Kamiya takes the spot. Either way it's those 2 and everyone else either only made one game of note (Mikami with God Hand, arguably the best game in the genre tho) or you got Itagaki (glorious Ninja Gaiden Black and still pretty good Ninja Gaiden 2) who hasn't done shit since he left Team Ninja, and they went n made Nioh without him. Barlog, easily best cat in the west tho. Since he got a good game out of God of War, fucking twice. Second time made a cool, albeit not that deep battle system.

But yeah top 2 dogs are Itsuno n Kamiya, and its funny how all these devs backgrounds shape the type of combat they make.

True, Hideki Kamiya doesn't get enough credit either. People know him for DMC and Bayonetta, but forget all about the amazing work he did with RE2, Okami and Viewtiful Joe. In all the hype surrounding RE2make, I didn't see Kamiya get name-checked much. With RE, it's Shinji Mikami that people tend to associate most with the franchise, much like they do with Kamiya and DMC. Yet the best traditional RE game, RE2, was directed by Kamiya.

Mikami also incorporated some brawler mechanics into Vanquish, although it's mainly a shooter, if that counts. I think it's become apparent that Itagaki isn't all that great on his own, yet he was an amazing designer when he was with Team Ninja. Itagaki and Team Ninja were at their best when they worked together. And which two GOW games do you mean? While I enjoyed the original GOW, I just found Kratos to be unbearable in the sequels, up until 2018 GOW finally made him a likeable character. Nevertheless, Cory Barlog is the genre's best Western designer, although not on the same level as the genre's top Japanese designers.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jg4xchamp

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

True, Hideki Kamiya doesn't get enough credit either. People know him for DMC and Bayonetta, but forget all about the amazing work he did with RE2, Okami and Viewtiful Joe. In all the hype surrounding RE2make, I didn't see Kamiya get name-checked much. With RE, it's Shinji Mikami that people tend to associate most with the franchise, much like they do with Kamiya and DMC. Yet the best traditional RE game, RE2, was directed by Kamiya.

Mikami also incorporated some brawler mechanics into Vanquish, although it's mainly a shooter, if that counts. I think it's become apparent that Itagaki isn't all that great on his own, yet he was an amazing designer when he was with Team Ninja. Itagaki and Team Ninja were at their best when they worked together. And which two GOW games do you mean? While I enjoyed the original GOW, I just found Kratos to be unbearable in the sequels, up until 2018 GOW finally made him a likeable character. Nevertheless, Cory Barlog is the genre's best Western designer, although not on the same level as the genre's top Japanese designers.

Mikami benefited from getting to remake his game, and being so vocal about during that era. But Kamiya was getting love from places like Polygon n such that were doing retrospective type articles. And replaying 2 right now, I'm gonna lean with Remake over 2 out of those classic resi games. Albeit I would argue Mikami these days as a dev period over Kamiya, but hey basically comparing two legends.

Remains to be seen what Itagaki could have done without a less hectic publishing environment. He basically got paired up with THQ at the worst time, and they had development issues, I think his design chops are pretty legit tho. Similarly Mikami made The Evil Within, which is good, all things considered, but a class below Remake, Resi 4, Vanquish, n God Hand. God of War 2 and God of War 4 (2018) would be his 2. I generally don't like Kratos at all, but I can get over aesthetics. Generally I've learned the more I learn about game design, and depth, and leveraging depth from a game, that shit like "button masher" are actually lazy terminology that gets thrown a bit too liberally.

God of War issue isn't that it's a button masher, you can certainly play far more efficient n skillfully. It simply doesn't have the sheer expression of a Bayonetta or a DMC. It has less moves, period. It is in many ways a diet Devil May Cry, which isn't a bad thing. Diet Devil May Cry is a shit load better than the parade of trashy western combat systems we got after, including the imitators of God of War. But 2 and 3 and have really good enemy variety that generally covers a variety of different attack patterns n spaces that pair with the lineup nicely, and the boss lineup is a lot of fun. It's not as good as say DMC3, Ninja gaiden, the Otogi games, Onimusha, Viewtiful Joe, or God Hand from that generation, but any other melee combat game would have a hard time going over God of War....without being a fighting game. Which is its own beast.

And God of War 2018 is surprisingly well thought out as a battle system. It needs more enemies, a slightly better camera, more command moves, more visually distinct enemies n bosses, and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less of those non-violent interactions that amount to the player doing so much, ridiculous nothing to "pace the experience", but the overall game is good. You can certainly do worse combat wise you could be Assassin's Creed or fucking Batman.

But yeah Kratos was an insufferable piece of shit, but I blame this forums and gaming community at large gassing him up as anything other than a shit character for why it made it easy to hate the game lol

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

Boring game. I mean, not boring, I just wasn't expecting the same game again. But whatever, I'll finish it up one of these days.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

In terms of crazy things happening, and style, it will crush DMC 5. The story and fighting itself, we'll see.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I got a bit bored of DMC5, so many boring cut scenes, boring level design, bizarre Kylo Ren type character... the gameplay is good though I'll give it that. I am a huge fan of these types of games but imo nothing comes close to God Hand, Ninja Gaiden Black or the Bayo games and I shall be buying a switch just for Bayo 3.. Fair enough everyone has their own opinion on games but praising DMC5 over Bayo has me scratching my head... especially the PC version of Bayo 1..

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic  Online

@freedomfreak: wow, I'm surprised that you're saying that. I thought you liked it

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18809 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Devil may cry 5 is definitely the best action game this gen. My only problem with it is how bad the music is. It's horrible compared to the previous games, infuriatingly bad compared to dmc4 even.

Eh, its fine though. The game is so damn good.

DMC always had god awful music since the very first one.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 X_CAPCOM_X

@PSP107: so you're telling me red hot juice is not a banger?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10633 Posts

@ghosts4ever:

God, I really wish it was in the realm of possibility for new threads to be completely invisible to the likes of you.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18809 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

lol, "red hot juice"

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X

@PSP107 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

lol, "red hot juice"

all of the devil may cry 1 ost songs are named like that. "pillow talk" "blue orgasm"

red hot juice is the theme of phantom, the magma spider scorpion demon.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jg4xchamp
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@PSP107 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

lol, "red hot juice"

all of the devil may cry 1 ost songs are named like that. "pillow talk" "blue orgasm"

Deluxe edition has some of the songs from older games as battle theme options. Changed Dante's to taste the blood.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I wonder if DMC5 is suffering from MGSV syndrome. Will people love it this much in a few months?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#39 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I honestly consider Bayo2 already better than DMC5.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X

@jg4xchamp said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@PSP107 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

lol, "red hot juice"

Deluxe edition has some of the songs from older games as battle theme options. Changed Dante's to taste the blood.

Hey Champ! It's been a while.

I have the standard edition. I think I'm gonna see if I can get the deluxe perks somehow, because that sounds needed. Dante's battle theme is ear rape in DMCV

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Raining51

I think the greatest action game to me is clearly just Mario honestly... like the answer is so clear... not sure which mario I'd pick but a lot of options...

Actino is like the premier video game genre... hard competition.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

I really liked dmc5 but I do enjoy Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 more.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jag85

@Bread_or_Decide: MGSV got backlash from fans soon after it released. The consensus has always been that the gameplay is stellar, but the story is a big let-down. MGS is a series known for story, hence that backlash against MGSV. There is no such backlash against DMCV, because DMC stories have always been second-fiddle to the gameplay, which is what fans care about most.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Hey Champ! It's been a while.

I have the standard edition. I think I'm gonna see if I can get the deluxe perks somehow, because that sounds needed. Dante's battle theme is ear rape in DMCV

Yeah man, can't believe they did that to the truest of the lads. HE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCKING GOOD. I can't believe Capgod is back ;_;

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

DMC5 has the best combat of any action game I've ever played. Bayonetta doesn't really compare. And when the combat/gameplay is this deep and oozing in variety, I hardly noticed that every level was basically a linear hallway with intermittent enemy spawns. I think that's the sign of a good action game: you can keep fighting enemies and it just never gets old. I was in the middle of my DMD playthrough before Sekiro came out but I'm eager to come back to it.

Bayonetta 3 will surely be a great game but I've always preferred Devil May Cry's combat, and DMC5 is the series' peak--ergo the pinnacle of action games as a whole.