Isn't crazy Avengers, which bombed in sales according to Square somehow still one of the bestselling games of 2020

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

So NPD released their yearly numbers and of course impressive numbers from a especially Modern Warfare somehow still selling well despite being a year old and CoD warzone is free. The point is, Square Enix invested so much money into the game (Avengers) that despite being one of the best selling game of the year, it still performed underwhelming and did not reach Square sales target. There is new free content and raids coming but I think it will become like Anthem where they will pull the plug as soon as they can even though the game clearly needs all that content.

Also lol at Mario lazy port selling well, those Nintendo fans is easily scammed.

Source:-

https://www.resetera.com/threads/npd-december-2020-cod-1-cyberpunk-2-ac-valhalla-3-miles-morales-4-switch-1-hw-in-units-revenue-yearly-sw-charts.361915/

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#2 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5177 Posts

That's the problem when these publishers expect every game to be the next fortnite. The industry needs a reality check. Make good games with Realistic budgets and timelines. If the game is good the money and sales will come.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

Avengers is a pile of hot shat.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Also lol at Mario lazy port selling well, those Nintendo fans is easily scammed.

Three awesome games not playable on Switch in any other way. Pretty sure their fans don't feel "scammed" after begging Nintendo for years to give them these games. More like happy they can finally play three games they love on their favourite console. I think they're fine.

Hiding behind something cool like "Avengers" and giving you a steaming piece of turd game with microtransactions? There's your scam.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Damn, Kakarot did pretty good. Best DBZ game ever made imo.

philamona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 philamona
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

If calling Super Mario 3D All-Stars a "scam," then what can be said about people who buy or play home consoles?

Such typical fanboy nonsense only found in System Wars.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50617 Posts

I'm surprised FF7 is that low.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39409 Posts

Anything superhero makes me sick, and for the last few years, they've been pumping these so much i am extra sick from this shit. No idea how does one get excited to play a game with a teenager girl with stretchy arms. Eww.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

It outsold Cyberpunk? Didn't that move over 10 million even after refunds? Whoever makes Square's sales targets needs to chill. Maybe take up yoga or something.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

I'm waiting for a next gen patch if it ever happens.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Nintendo is kicking ass and taking names like always. It’s a real shame that all their games don’t include the digital versions though. That list of top selling games would look very different if they did.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#13 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

It had brand recognition, and was marketed its bollocks off. Of course it was going to sell alright to the easily persuadable.

The question was always; when the more sceptical parts of the gaming public starts to peel off the Marvel-branded wrapping, does it have anything of substance underneath? As Sony and Nintendo have proved, there really is no substitute for a quality product well made.

Also, Anthem is on life support, but is not shutting down any time soon. They're moving ahead with the 2.0 overhaul instead, which is probably due in 2022. Can't say Avengers will get the same support.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6985 Posts

I don't think the Marvel license is cheap.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

I remember Square was negative about sales of Tomb Raider back in 2013, saying it did not meet expectations. But the game sold like 6 million copies...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I will forever hate Square for cancelling Sleeping Dogs 2 they had a amazing new IP on there hands with a great open world and characters and it wasn't a broken bugged filled mess. It made 1.5 million sales but that wasn't good enough for Square. They did a horrible job promoting the game it should of been hyped up for over a year because it's that damn good. The series deserves another shot F#ck Square.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

I think by "bombed in sales" they meant what they expected the game to net in lifetime sales as a service and not with initial copies sold. I'm sure they thought that the game would have a large thriving base that they could sell microtransactions and DLC to for years. That's what they get for being lazy though...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

It is still a hot license. In defense of the game it was fun up until the end, the post game content is lacking. It doesn't have a grindy quality on account to horrible post game content, horrible multiplayer scaling, and grinding for cosmetics sucks since there's no worthwhile costumes to grind for. Last I played it game was broken on a number of parts in the UI, and mistakes trying to join a MP invite can require rebooting game it was that bad on the XB1.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

Miles Morales sold 70 % less than the first Spiderman and is just one spot behind the Avengers....

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8495 Posts

FF is really seems to be on the way out when it gets outsold by the likes of TLOU and GoT. No wonder Sony doesn't invest any money in their Japanese devs and are solely focused on western devs.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Damn, Kakarot did pretty good. Best DBZ game ever made imo.

says hello, every character ever made

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

What a shitty top 20, just goes to show not much of value was released last year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61520 Posts

The main story was so-so, but damn was everything else just outright bad. A giant hot-mess both as a GaaS and just an actual game.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

What a shitty top 20, just goes to show not much of value was released last year.

What's really hurting you is that Microsoft doesn't appear anywhere in the right hand column.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

this was top psn games of last year(source is Sony):

believe this is based on number of units sold, not revenue like NPD does

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Why would it hurt me as i make no money from it, nor am i emotionally invested in it, you on the otherhand.

Hey at least your favourite game in TLOU 2 is up there, you must be making a killing off of that game right? Oh wait never mind 🤣🤣🤣

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24996 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

FF is really seems to be on the way out when it gets outsold by the likes of TLOU and GoT. No wonder Sony doesn't invest any money in their Japanese devs and are solely focused on western devs.

atleast FF have more gameplay in first few hours than movie games like last of us and GOT combine.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I wish people stopped buying Mario Kart 8. Nintendo has no incentive to make a Mario Kart for Switch. I want longer tracks in the next one.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

Square Enix is ​​doing very well as far as the total revenue shown in their financial reports is concerned. FF7R has the potential to further increase sales when it is released on multiple platforms.

There are no MS or Bethesda games in the top 20. It's a shame they couldn't meet the stay-at-home demand.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8495 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

atleast FF have more gameplay in first few hours than movie games like last of us and GOT combine.

You probably haven't played any FF.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Dunno how Black Ops Cold War is number one, god that game is trash

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

@ghosts4ever: What are you talking about Ghost of Tsu had like zero cut scenes and was full of gameplay.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sakaiXx

@Ballroompirate: casual games tend to top the charts hence why CoD, sports and Nintendo games very popular.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Well, it's Marvel. So yeah, it's going to sell like crazy.

Probably a big seller to the 10-25 crowd.

@Star67 said:

That's the problem when these publishers expect every game to be the next fortnite. The industry needs a reality check. Make good games with Realistic budgets and timelines. If the game is good the money and sales will come.

Been saying this for years.

They put all their eggs in one basket with these huge, so-called AAA, game-as-service nonsense.

I still love gaming and I think in general it's as good as ever, but "AAA" gaming--and I use that title not because I think they are AAA quality, only AAA budget--has been severely disappointing for 10+ years.

Not every MMO is going to be WoW, not ever loot-n-shoot is going to be Destiny, and not every "soulsborn" is going to be Dark Souls, and not every battle royale game is going to be Fortnite.

Developers need to make the games they want to make, not the games market studies tell them people think they want.

Thank God for independent games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sakaiXx

@mrbojangles25 said:

Not every MMO is going to be WoW, not ever loot-n-shoot is going to be Destiny, and not every "soulsborn" is going to be Dark Souls, and not every battle royale game is going to be Fortnite.

Developers need to make the games they want to make, not the games market studies tell them people think they want.

To be fair to Square, their FFXIV online is probably the best MMO on this planet right now....

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

To be fair to Square, their FFXIV online is probably the best MMO on this planet right now....

Is it? Been meaning to check out some other MMO's after I am done with Shadowlands. I guess I'll give that a try next.

What in particular is so good about it?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sakaiXx

@mrbojangles25: you are just in time! next month on the 5th FFXIV will have a showcase and probably a new expansion. You can start the game via free trial up to lvl 60 if not mistaken and includes the Heavensward expansion.

The best thing personally is the unique character system allows to do everything on one character, including becoming every job. No need for alternate (second) character and multiple story completions for leveling jobs. So you can learn everything and find one that really fits your playstyle.

Also dont be afraid or felt intimidated being a beginner. Other than the usual MMO fanfare of dungeon, pvp, raids, and end game content of MMO, FFXIV is very beginner friendly with higher lvl players helping newbie ALOT (cause it also give big exp bonus for us) and dungeons has scaling so that you still could have fun with ur high lvl friends without both feeling disadvantaged. Also personally FFXIV story is really damn good and its structured so you can complete it solo which helps the narrative a lot and really makes you part of the world.