Let's face it, leaps like this was exactly what vr needed.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Sure not everyone likes vr, but even those who do, it's not exactly cheap. Many gamers game with what they can get their hands on, the household pc, a second hand 1060. The laptop gpu.

The ones that have more money still facing a pretty steep price, a good headset is 450 fast, and a 2060 isn't exactly chump change either, and then you need the rest of the pc as well, many just have a console for games.

But this 3 series changes everything. It will open up entry vr for the masses , headsets will become cheaper because of it.

Sure there will be more demand at first, but that will result in more competition, more r&d and cheaper headsets.

Even a 3050 series will rip through vr titles easy and the consoles can handle it as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts

VR is like, the only thing excited about in gaming now future wise.

Most of the folk who talk shit about VR either haven't or have used it for 10 minutes.

IMO the problem with VR currently is the companies being complete assholes trying to cut their piece of the pie.

It has limited software compared to traditional gaming and it's all getting locked off whenever possible.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7247 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Most of the folk who talk shit about VR either haven't or have used it for 10 minutes.

IMO the problem with VR currently is the companies being complete assholes trying to cut their piece of the pie.

It has limited software compared to traditional gaming and it's all getting locked off whenever possible.

yup i love my psvr. first person will never be the same. even games like moss and atrobot was awesome.

vr can make a crappy game fun. meaning if you play it on the tv the games sucks unless in vr like rush for blood.

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

Sony = VR

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

@gifford38 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

yup i love my psvr. first person will never be the same. even games like moss and atrobot was awesome.

vr can make a crappy game fun. meaning if you play it on the tv the games sucks unless in vr like rush for blood.

Yea. That's another thing like about VR games, a lot of games now are bloated to hell with 50 hours of shit.

VR games tend to be condensed down to 4-7+ hour experiences where the focus is primarily on the mechanics, with no, "shit" tacked on.

Mean you do get the occasional longer games like Asgard's Wrath and ports (expensive and bad) of crap like Skyrim, but for the most part the games are lean and generally frontier in their attitude of "what can we do with this shit", which is exciting, a lot of them are smaller teams aiming for a specific audience than capitalizing on millions and millions of sales.

That unfortunately comes with quality all over the shit rather than consistent, but it's at least interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
Member since 2020 • 293 Posts

Definitely a good thing. Those who know, know.

And then there's, like, the 90+ percentile of the gaming population that still thinks VR is just another 3d TV fad.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

3000 series GPUs, the new $300 Quest launching in the near future, and future advances like DLSS for VR and foveated rendering will allow a very cheap entry into VR and enable graphics that are no longer behind traditional games; infact we'll see VR graphics surpass traditional screens.

Then advances like full body camera-based tracking will get rid of the floating hands perception that VR has, and head-synced haptics combined with higher refresh rates will massively reduce sickness across the board.

Not to mention that varifocal displays will make VR headsets more visually comfortable than any display with no chance of eye strain or headaches.

Literally every issue anyone has against VR going mainstream is going to fixed, and it's going to be big. The naysayers can delude themselves all they want, but it was always a losing battle for them.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Sure, I guess. Personally I’m just not interested in VR gaming. It doesn’t matter how cheap it gets, how much better the quality of the tech becomes, etc. For me it’s not about there being a “problem” that can be “fixed”. I’m just a flatscreen gamer for life.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

VR is great, it's the future, and it is getting so much better by the day. Half life Alyx, Microsoft flight simulator, Star wars squadrons, medal of honor looks good too

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

@Archangel3371: but why? Seems awfully close minded to just say that you are a flat screen gamer for life? I mean I understand that some people don’t think the tech is there yet, the entry level is to expensive, it’s uncomfortable to wear etc etc but all of these things will be better as time progresses! And yeah I can say for certain that the future of gaming is definitely vr

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371

@djoffer123: I’m simply not interested in VR gaming. It just be how it be man. 🤷‍♂️

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthBuzzard
@Archangel3371 said:

Sure, I guess. Personally I’m just not interested in VR gaming. It doesn’t matter how cheap it gets, how much better the quality of the tech becomes, etc. For me it’s not about there being a “problem” that can be “fixed”. I’m just a flatscreen gamer for life.

I can't see how anyone can say that with certainty in the 1st generation of VR. It's like saying "I'll never want to be a gamer" when Atari is the current pinaccle of gaming. The reason why gaming appeals to most people today isn't even relevant to Atari anymore; back then stories didn't exist outside text adventures and mechanics had no depth. VR will evolve in a similiar way with most of what makes VR gaming tick not being there right now; those will be the things to come.

There's also other considerations like how the Discord of the future will definitely be a VR platform, and a lot of gamers will want to replace their TV/Monitor experience with a virtual display that beats anything money can buy. Imagine playing God of War PS6 on an virtual IMAX theater screen that looks and sounds as real as the real thing.

If you say the same thing in 10 years then sure, but saying it now makes it a very unstable statement.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371

@darthbuzzard: Don’t know what to tell you man, that’s just how I feel. 🤷‍♂️

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DarthBuzzard

@Archangel3371 said:

@darthbuzzard: Don’t know what to tell you man, that’s just how I feel. 🤷‍♂️

Just reserve judgement for VR for 10 years.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I'll admit, I haven't really paid much attention to the VR scene. But from reading this thread's comments, you guys are making me get more interested. Exciting times ahead my dudes

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By commander

@uninspiredcup said:
@gifford38 said:

Yea. That's another thing like about VR games, a lot of games now are bloated to hell with 50 hours of shit.

VR games tend to be condensed down to 4-7+ hour experiences where the focus is primarily on the mechanics, with no, "shit" tacked on.

Mean you do get the occasional longer games like Asgard's Wrath and ports (expensive and bad) of crap like Skyrim, but for the most part the games are lean and generally frontier in their attitude of "what can we do with this shit", which is exciting, a lot of them are smaller teams aiming for a specific audience than capitalizing on millions and millions of sales.

That unfortunately comes with quality all over the shit rather than consistent, but it's at least interesting.

come on man, it's not like exclusives are the biggest problem. Exclusives have always been part of gaming, and it's also how some of these games are funded. Some games/ports would have never happened if it wasn't for sony.

oculus/facebook is worse in this regard, they keep the games exclusive and they are also not interested in the games themselves. They want you to become a product. You could say that palmer lucky screwed everybody over, but the fact is we don't know if he would have found investors, he might have been scared of the competition as well.

It's a bit of a sad story, since palmer luckey ideas and john carmack's ideas resulted in an amazing headset. the oculus cv1. It was affordable, and had the features you needed.

Sure there might be better headsets now, but that's only because of the newer tech, and they lack even features the cv1 had. If we stil had that vision that was behind the cv1 we would have headsets that attract a lot more people.

Because the games are one problem, but that will just be fixed the moment vr is more adapted, a lot of games can be ported to vr quite easy, and more adaption will also open the door for more specific vr titles.

But the biggest problem for adaption we have now is headsets. At this point i can only see sony make a headset that ticks all the boxes, a lightweight, affordable , user friendly headset. They have the traction with their consoles, and 10 tflops is not bad for vr.

IF microsoft sees the succes they will follow eventually and they have the pc platform, and maybe push valve and htc into more affordable headsets as well.

Oculus will always have that facebook stain, and you can be sure of it it holds back adaption.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Can't wait, I've got a G2 on order and will upgrade to the 3080 when available. That combination n is going to be a match made in heaven.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@subspecies_ii: If the other 90+% think VR is just a fad...l then guess what its a fad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f58f7bf5ecf3
Member since 2020 • 293 Posts

@vfighter said:

@subspecies_ii: If the other 90+% think VR is just a fad...l then guess what its a fad.

Dude, those are commoners. They never know what's going on.

VR fans aren't commoners.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7247 Posts

@subspecies_ii said:
@vfighter said:

Dude, those are commoners. They never know what's going on.

VR fans aren't commoners.

that ok these guys are going to miss out on the only thing that felt new this whole gen.

i don't get how something so great can be a fad.

thats like saying ice cream is a fad lol.

i have not seen one psvr or oculus person say it was a fad.

but i do see people with cheap 20 dollar headset for your phone saying a fad. well you got what you paid for. i bet 90% of those people tried it on those cheap headsets.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Not interested. TVs have better colors and I don't play that many first person games anyway. Tried one for a few minutes. It was fine.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

@commander said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@gifford38 said:

come on man, it's not like exclusives are the biggest problem. Exclusives have always been part of gaming, and it's also how some of these games are funded. Some games/ports would have never happened if it wasn't for sony.

oculus/facebook is worse in this regard, they keep the games exclusive and they are also not interested in the games themselves. They want you to become a product. You could say that palmer lucky screwed everybody over, but the fact is we don't know if he would have found investors, he might have been scared of the competition as well.

It's a bit of a sad story, since palmer luckey ideas and john carmack's ideas resulted in an amazing headset. the oculus cv1. It was affordable, and had the features you needed.

Sure there might be better headsets now, but that's only because of the newer tech, and they lack even features the cv1 had. If we stil had that vision that was behind the cv1 we would have headsets that attract a lot more people.

Because the games are one problem, but that will just be fixed the moment vr is more adapted, a lot of games can be ported to vr quite easy, and more adaption will also open the door for more specific vr titles.

But the biggest problem for adaption we have now is headsets. At this point i can only see sony make a headset that ticks all the boxes, a lightweight, affordable , user friendly headset. They have the traction with their consoles, and 10 tflops is not bad for vr.

IF microsoft sees the succes they will follow eventually and they have the pc platform, and maybe push valve and htc into more affordable headsets as well.

Oculus will always have that facebook stain, and you can be sure of it it holds back adaption.

Ordinarily it wouldn't be that big a deal, a minor inconvenience or dent.

But because VR is still in frontier territory and because it's so limited in software with such gaps in quality, here, in this specific case, i'd argue it's a huge detriment.

People are paying (at least) £400, only to see shit like Hitman only on Playstation and Facebook carving up the PC end.

These companies have no interest in the long term growth, only what they can **** out of customers now.

It's why Valve deserve mad, mad respect for what they did with Alyx, that was probably one of the few times we are going to see something equating to "altruistic" from this snake of an industry.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I’ll give vr a try eventually but I’m looking for a solid final fantasy vr game that isn’t fishing maybe do a vr game set in gold saucer and actually have story perhaps. I almost got VR for borderlands 2 but it just wasnt quite there for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Zidaneski said:

I’ll give vr a try eventually but I’m looking for a solid final fantasy vr game that isn’t fishing maybe do a vr game set in gold saucer and actually have story perhaps. I almost got VR for borderlands 2 but it just wasnt quite there for me.

Loading Video...

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

@uninspiredcup: got me interested and then I find out it’s only on pc. You crushed me sir.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

VR is probably the best thing to happen to gaming in decades.

Things have gotten better, yes. And I love where gaming is going in general; nostalgia is fine and all but even the most mediocre of modern games are more thrilling and fun than the best of games from 10+ years ago.

But at the same time, not much has really changed. Graphics look better, game sizes are larger....basically things just keep going up, but not really changing.

VR has changed stuff. There is nothing as immersive as VR outside of literally doing the activity in real-life itself, which is generally impossible or illegal or too expensive to consider.

And the best part? VR has nowhere to go but up, and it is already incredible. While VR is nothing new in concept, this current iteration is awesome but still in its infancy, and already has made insane leaps and bounds.

VR has me optimistic about gaming's future.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nirgal  Online
Member since 2019 • 707 Posts

I tried vr and i loved the experience, but i never considered buying it and the price was not really the problem.

I live in Asia where apartments are just really small so i dont have a place to move around, that makes vr a lot less interesting for me. Also my other issue is that I see gaming mostly as a social thing. I like to get in the same room as my friends and game with them. For that i need at least two vr headsets, a lot of space and there is also the issue of getting a screen to block your view of the world around you, which feels isolating.

So for me, VR only works as an occasional experience. Like I would be interested if it was like laser shot or paint ball, that you go there with a group of people you enter a VR world and you play a game together in a shared large environment. That feels interesting for me and fits in to my life. But as something to own, and play single player games, i am not really interested. I like this world and dont want to escape to another one, even with the fucking virus.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 commander

@Zidaneski said:

borderlands 2 vr is great tho, but you need a pc headset if you want the proper experience, even runs great on my cv1

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Love the fact that VR exists, but it's too early for me still. I'm waiting for headsets to become smaller, cheaper and better. A more powerful PC wouldn't hurt either. Will probably get me a 2080 or something when the 30 series has been out for a while. Doubt VR is very fun on my 1070.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I will be buying a RTX 3080 or 3090... Haven't decided MIGHT wait for reviews before I order one and I will be getting the HP reverb 2 to replace my Rift S.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23951 Posts

This is how technology works.

A lot of the stuff that are "new" have been around for years, if not decades. It has just gotten cheap enough to produce for the product to become mainstream. And thus new to the public.

That said, I still have no interest in this. Tried VR a few times, and every time the same issues of disconnect between my senses makes the product come across as LESS immersive. Like it is trying too hard to immerse me.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarthBuzzard
@Maroxad said:

This is how technology works.

A lot of the stuff that are "new" have been around for years, if not decades. It has just gotten cheap enough to produce for the product to become mainstream. And thus new to the public.

That said, I still have no interest in this. Tried VR a few times, and every time the same issues of disconnect between my senses makes the product come across as LESS immersive. Like it is trying too hard to immerse me.

That's not possible. You can never be less immersed in VR unless you are playing truly awful games or have some serious situational self reflection going about like "Oh damm, my turkey needs to come out in 30 minutes, in 25 minutes, in 20 minutes."

What you need to do is try a decent headset (6DoF) with decent games. Half-Life: Alyx, Lone Echo, Astro Bot, whatever other good games you want to try. You'll never find a game more immersive elsewhere.