Microsoft closes Victoria Studio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/05/microsoft-closes-victoria-studio-moves-development-to-vancouver/

This studio was responsible for Kinect Adventures and other Kinect games (I believe Kinectimals as well)

They closed it in less than 2 years since it opened (or so it says) and it was a 1 BILLION DOLLAR investment so this must be hurting. However the project the teams their were working on will not be stopped.

Now the question is what were these projects? Hopefully Crackdown 3 was not involved in that.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Not a loss to the gaming community.

The lose of Ensemble is still hurting though

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Jakandsigz: They probably are cosolidated the staff. I'm not sure what Kinect games M$ has in the future besides Kinect Rivals. I would love to see something innovative. I decent RPG that actually works well with Kinect would be cool. They need to stop with the fighting games though. They've all been crap.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@daious said:

Ensemble was best thing MS ever had, and they kill them off after forcing a Halo game... People still playing AOE2 to this day.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Daious

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@daious said:

Ensemble was best thing MS ever had, and they kill them off after forcing a Halo game... People still playing AOE2 to this day.

Bungie was the best thing MS ever had. Although, Halo 4 is still a great game even w/o bungie. I can't wait to see Halo 5 and 343 is not going anywhere (I hope).

Ensemble is like #2 though. I have had so many great memories of AoE rts series. Brilliant games.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jakandsigz

@blackace said:

@Jakandsigz: They probably are cosolidated the staff. I'm not sure what Kinect games M$ has in the future besides Kinect Rivals. I would love to see something innovative. I decent RPG that actually works well with Kinect would be cool. They need to stop with the fighting games though. They've all been crap.

They only have 2 kinect fighting games.

Renegade311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Renegade311
Member since 2013 • 350 Posts

@daious said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@daious said:

Bungie was the best thing MS ever had. Although, Halo 4 is still a great game even w/o bungie. I can't wait to see Halo 5 and 343 is not going anywhere (I hope).

Ensemble is like #2 though. I have had so many great memories of AoE rts series. Brilliant games.

Halo Wars was a really good game though, shame MS closed Ensemble though.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Daious

@renegade311 said:

@daious said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@daious said:

Halo Wars was a really good game though, shame MS closed Ensemble though.

I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed it for a console RTS but I think MS put a lot of pressure on them. I should have been developed for PC. It was ensemble strong suit.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jakandsigz

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@daious said:

Microsoft was the best thing Microsoft have. Were is my Combat flight simulator, my sports games that would crap on EA's, my Space Simulator, my regular flight simulator, by freaking Blood wake which MS people collaborated with other devs to make, same with Fusion Frenzy, and maybe actually give Blinx one more try.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daious

@Jakandsigz said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@daious said:

Microsoft was the best thing Microsoft have. Were is my Combat flight simulator, my sports games that would crap on EA's, my Space Simulator, my regular flight simulator, by freaking Blood wake which MS people collaborated with other devs to make, same with Fusion Frenzy, and maybe actually give Blinx one more try.

I was thinking of the Flight Simulator studios while posting in this thread about Ensemble. Those games were so good. Ugh... memories

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@daious said:

There are currently over 4,000 people playing Halo Wars.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

This studio was responsible for Kinect Adventures and other Kinect games (I believe Kinectimals as well)

And nothing of value was lost.

They closed it in less than 2 years since it opened (or so it says) and it was a 1 BILLION DOLLAR investment so this must be hurting.

Ohhhh. Ummm, I guess I spoke too soon. Ouch.

However the project the teams their were working on will not be stopped.

Another Kinect game... yay?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Sounds like they're just centralizing development to the Vancouver BC studio. Victoria is a nice place and not far from Vancouver but it's kind of geographically isolated by a significant body of water. Nothing really sounds like anything is being lost. It doesn't say people are getting fired or projects getting cancelled or anything like that. Staff can just take a ferry into work every morning if they're living in Victoria or if they're living in Vancouver and ferrying to work in Victoria then things will be easier for them.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

For what they were the Kinectimals where not that bad. My daughter loved them, they really did do a great job with the game.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Bu bu but muh billion dollar investment

Will be funny when MS Osaka turns out to be a localisation studio for F2P mobile games.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#16 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49584 Posts

This was part of the investment--a sum not known; not thee investment.

poptart28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 poptart28
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

noteworthy news would be nintendo closing one of their studios. Has that ever happened and why has it not happened yet considering that they are in so called dire straits.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

@poptart28 said:

noteworthy news would be nintendo closing one of their studios. Has that ever happened and why has it not happened yet considering that they are in so called dire straits.

Nintendo said they don't fire people. They just assign them to new products. That's why when studios that make games like the Golden Sun series don't sell enough copies, they assign them to Mario Tennis games instead of closing them down.