Namco: Tales have been selling more after every release

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

WE DID IT GUYS!

Namco Bandai is extremely happy about how strong the Tales of games are preforming in the West saying that they are proud to be able to make more Tales of games and thanking the fans at the same time.

Namco Bandai: “we’ve put a lot of work into making sure that Japan and America get Tales of games right around the same time. With each game we’ve released, sales have increased—so we believe that fans have been going out and talking to other fans. With games coming out on a more periodic basis, I think it conveys [to new fans] that this isn’t just a one-off game, it’s not just another RPG.”

Namco also say that they are testing some new things and new platforms for the future so PS4 Tales in the near future? SURE HOPE SO!

Tales of Xillia 2 and Tales of Hearts R are two upcoming games coming exclusively to PlayStation this year.

Tales of Zesteria is the next flagship title from Namco and is releasing exclusively on PS3 next year worldwide sometime next year 2015.

More of the interview Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/23/tales-rpgs-growing-west-says-bandai-namco/#4y08JXP2g2IGUJGe.99

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

Eh, Xillia got #11 on August 2013's NPD, so not surprised. Lately JRPGs have been deteriorating for me, but Tales always manages to maintain a certain classic charm and design that always stays fresh.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

The latest tales should have been a PS4 game.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By finalstar2007

@2mrw said:

The latest tales should have been a PS4 game.

The one after it will most likely be a PS4 game as they expressed big interest in the PS4 ( especially seeing how the PS4 is popular in the West ).. the one after Zesteria will either be PS4 exclusives or PS3/PS4 title ( the latar seem most likely ).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Hopefully they'l add some co-op to these things.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Well its nice to hear positives about the series so that more can come over.I hope they other vita game comes on over.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Although Star Ocean are my favorite Tales like games, and I'm sad they don't make them anymore. This is good news. Let's forget last hope was ever made and consider 3 the end of the series.

I really want another Star Ocean tho.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Very good, more tales more fun.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu:

It's had local coop, online would be a mess.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By finalstar2007

@finalfantasy94 said:

Well its nice to hear positives about the series so that more can come over.I hope they other vita game comes on over.

Innocence R is the only one left for the Vita and Namco did seem very positive about it especially after the many comments from people requesting that game on the PSBlog ( with Namco replying with "We hear you" )

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

when in 2014 is Tales of Xillia 2 supposed to come out?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

How many/which of these games have actually been good?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 finalstar2007

@lawlessx said:

when in 2014 is Tales of Xillia 2 supposed to come out?

August 19

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalstar2007
@lostrib said:

Maybe play them and find out yourself?

i played all of them ( the ones on PS3 ) and they were all very good.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@ SonicNextGen2

Sweet ! Now I just need a console I can actually play it on. XD.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

Currently playing tales of eternia, holy crap was english voice acting bad back in the day.

Reid and Keele really grate on me, the game itself is good tho.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:
@lostrib said:

Well I wanted to know so I could skip any bad ones. I have Tales of Symphonia for GC, but I don't think I managed to finish it. Probably get the PS3 Chronicles version later

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@lostrib said:

@finalstar2007 said:
@lostrib said:

Well I wanted to know so I could skip any bad ones. I have Tales of Symphonia for GC, but I don't think I managed to finish it. Probably get the PS3 Chronicles version later

Tales of the Abyss is a great title.

Really, most tales games are at the very least good. I wouldn't call any of them bad. All of them hold up pretty well, even the older games.

Tales of Phantasia kicks a ton of ass for the PSX, but you will have to patch it with an unofficial translation.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@lostrib said:

not a single one since Vesperia on the X360 on 2008. After this game I don't know what happened but even the art-style took a dive for the worst although the biggest hit was taken by the storylines. When it comes to gameplay nothing has changed much except for the fact that now instead of 2D it's 3D.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@lostrib said:

@finalstar2007 said:
@lostrib said:

Vesperia is the one to play

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Interesting how "Westernized" JRPG's are doing badly in the West, while "Japanese" JRPG's are doing really well in the West. I think JRPG developers are finally starting to realize that there's no need to "Westernize" their games to be successful in the West.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReadingRainbow4

@Jag85 said:

Interesting how "Westernized" JRPG's are doing badly in the West, while "Japanese" JRPG's are doing really well in the West. I think JRPG developers are finally starting to realize that there's no need to "Westernize" their games to be successful in the West.

Thank god, now Square needs to stop doubting itself and threatening us with fanfics.

these developers just need to do what they're good at, close the gap in the language barrier and that's all. Westernization just hurts.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

That's cool to hear, I've played Tales of the Abyss and enjoyed it, so more of it is always cool.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By finalfantasy94

@Jag85 said:

What westernized jrpgs are there? I know people call 13-2 and LR that but nothing felt westernized about those.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By finalfantasy94

@lostrib said:

@finalstar2007 said:
@lostrib said:

Grace F and xillia are both good games.If you can get the HD collection as well.While symphonia is better then the second part the second is still fun.I found Grace to be more light hearted compared to the others I mentioned but the cast was still enjoyable.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Gue1 said:

@lostrib said:

not a single one since Vesperia on the X360 on 2008. After this game I don't know what happened but even the art-style took a dive for the worst although the biggest hit was taken by the storylines. When it comes to gameplay nothing has changed much except for the fact that now instead of 2D it's 3D.

I guess grace and xillia dont exist *rolls eyes*.Both of those games are highly enjoyable.

Yeah I agree thats really unfair, I love Graces F. Sure the storyline is throwaway, but the battle system is seriously top notch, and tons of content and extra things to do. Its my favorite Tales game of all time. I feel like Xillia is a step down in fun factor, but Xillia 2 looks good and I heard fixes a lot of the deficits of the first one.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 finalfantasy94

@AdamPA1006 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Gue1 said:

@lostrib said:

I guess grace and xillia dont exist *rolls eyes*.Both of those games are highly enjoyable.

Yeah I agree thats really unfair, I love Graces F. Sure the storyline is throwaway, but the battle system is seriously top notch, and tons of content and extra things to do. Its my favorite Tales game of all time. I feel like Xillia is a step down in fun factor, but Xillia 2 looks good and I heard fixes a lot of the deficits of the first one.

some People keep saying fixes the problems with xillia 1 but what were these problems?the combat was great and I loved the tag system.The only problem I really had witht he game were proboly the character modles and they would look very stiff at times during cutscenes and such.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Good to hear. Tales is a great series. Perhaps not omg best RPGs ever, but just a solid series that luckily has been seeing more sales here in the West.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@lostrib said:

@finalstar2007 said:
@lostrib said:

I think Vesperia, Graces F, and Xillia are all worth playing, although none of them are that good in the story department. Graces F and Xillia definitely have the best battle systems of the series, but Graces F especially the characters can really get on your nerves.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Very good, more tales more fun.

for sure. Lets see what they can do with PS4.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

wtf

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Sweenix said:

wtf

Yeah, someone didn't follow through on this guys posts, sorry.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Some of the best JRPGs in the business.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Next thing Namco-Bandai should do with the series is:

- work with Sony on porting Tales of Zesteria to PlayStation 4. They're leaving money on the table and it'll eat into PS4 sales.

- localize the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia with all of the extra content. Even if it's only digitally, do it!

Namco's been really good lately localizing plenty of titles I never thought would leave Japan. They need to keep it up (the sales seem to speak for themselves).

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

1. duh? when you release a product and support it it gains popularity this is the reason namco were idiots in the past they would release one tales game see it garner very few sales and say Welp americans don't like our product. no they've never seen your product before you've gotta spend money to make money.

2. Its to bad that tales games are being released they are some of the worst tripe jrpgs there are its the same game almost every time, they spend maybe 20k on making the game becasue they use pre established engines, characters, voices, and even programming. *excluding tales of symphonia*

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Although Star Ocean are my favorite Tales like games, and I'm sad they don't make them anymore. This is good news. Let's forget last hope was ever made and consider 3 the end of the series.

I really want another Star Ocean tho.

The team behind Star Ocean is now working on Phantasy Star Nova on Vitapublished by Sega. Hopefully Sega localizes it.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 finalstar2007

@lostrib said:

@finalstar2007 said:
@lostrib said:

If you've played Symphonia and havent played Symphonia 2 then i suggest you get Symphonia 2 via PSN as you can buy only that separately and not the whole collection but imo Tales of Xillia is the best Tales currently released with Tales of Graces F after then comes the Symphonia collection.

i've enjoyed myself with all these games and looking forward to the upcoming ones so its hard to tell you which one to play badly but i can only number them based on which you should start with first.

im currently playing Tales of Vesperia and while its fun the game is extremely slow especially the gameplay ( seeing how my first Tales was Graces F i guess i got used to fast based battle system ).

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

Well what do you know. Looks like theres another Naruto game too.

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm

Revolution

Sadly it still doesn't capture the feel of the anime.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#42  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Jag85 said:

What westernized jrpgs are there? I know people call 13-2 and LR that but nothing felt westernized about those.

The FFXIII trilogy was an attempt at "Westernizing" JRPG's in some ways, combining Eastern and Western game design elements, but they just ended up feeling like an awkward mix that didn't quite mesh. It did "feel" Japanese in some ways, but some of the game design elements that fans disliked was Western-inspired (like FFXIII's COD-inspired linear corridors).

On the other hand, Demon's Souls "felt" Western in some ways, yet its core game design was very "Japanese", with the old-school dungeon-crawling, hack & slash combat, and hardcore challenging difficulty. It was originally created for a niche Japanese audience, never planned for Western release, until Atlus USA took a chance on it. And despite the "niche" old-school nature, it became an unexpected worldwide success.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I just finished the gamecube/ps2 titles this winter and they were all quite good (Legendia a little less so). I don't have a console but reading reviews of Vesperia and Xillia have tempted me to get one several times.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By finalfantasy94

@Jag85 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Jag85 said:

The FFXIII trilogy was an attempt at "Westernizing" JRPG's in some ways, combining Eastern and Western game design elements, but they just ended up feeling like an awkward mix that didn't quite mesh. It did "feel" Japanese in some ways, but some of the game design elements that fans disliked was Western-inspired (like FFXIII's COD-inspired linear corridors).

On the other hand, Demon's Souls "felt" Western in some ways, yet its core game design was very "Japanese", with the old-school dungeon-crawling, hack & slash combat, and hardcore challenging difficulty. It was originally created for a niche Japanese audience, never planned for Western release, until Atlus USA took a chance on it. And despite the "niche" old-school nature, it became an unexpected worldwide success.

Yea your right about the corridor thing since I didint see much jrpgs do that.Anything els besides that?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Jag85

You can't assiosate corridors with western gaming design. Final Fantasy XIII wasn't westernized.... It just sucked because it sucked. Simple as that.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: I agree, plus FFX was a corridor sim too. It's just that X had a lot more going for itself than FF XIII ever did.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#47 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Good. Very good. I'm a new fan so I look forward to whatever else they release in the future.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Namco appears to be very busy.... So many games coming out.

Exactly how big are they ? Bigger than Capcom ? Sega ?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 texasgoldrush  Online
Member since 2003 • 14895 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Jag85 said:

That's not Japanese however. Nevermind the Souls and King's Field roots are in Ultima Underworld.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ texasgoldrush

TELL'EM TEXAS ! You show'em whos boss !

LOL. I'm just kidding..... (but seriously.... Tear'em a new one) :p