New Splinter Cell Game In Production. Will Ubisoft screw this one up?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By IgGy621985

Poll New Splinter Cell Game In Production. Will Ubisoft screw this one up? (50 votes)

Yep 62%
Nope 12%
I don't give a shit about Splinter Cell anymore 26%

Ubisoft is working on a new Splinter Cell game, according to a report from Tom Henderson at VGC. The game is said to be in the "early phase of production," and that there is a "small chance" it will be announced in 2022.

The report had no insight on which studios are working on the new Splinter Cell game. However, sources said the game may be developed by a studio outside of Montreal.

According to the report, Ubisoft is greenlighting the game in part as a means of "winning back" fans who didn't embrace Splinter Cell's mobile and VR spin-offs.

Sauce

Being a huge fan of the series, I'm a happy puppy now.

Also, since Metal Gear is (probably) dead, we didn't have proper stealth games around.

Pls Ubisoft, don't screw this up.

What do you think System Wars?

• 
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

Well given the fact EA is remaking the first Dead Space game which is my all time fav horror game, I do hope Ubisoft follows EA footsteps of making the first Splinter Cell game and remaking it to see if the general public is hungry for this dormant franchise to return. All in all, a remake would be the smart thing to do if Ubisoft cares about Splinter Cell.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

Yes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

Perhaps. The hatred towards their disregard of the Tom Clancy IP has gained traction. Not just actual Tom Clancy fans getting annoyed but disgusting normies.

Depending on how you look at it, Splinter Cell largely hasn't been fucked up beyond Conviction.

Double Agent on PC was a shit-show port-wise, but still a Splinter Cell game, albeit with dumb annoying shit.

That's the main problem I think will happen, Double Agent, unlocking stuff, grind walls, simplified on/off stealth, gimmick missions (base/prison) rather than the old formula of simply selecting kit for the job.

Didn't mind the "Mass Effect" base in Blacklist. Characters boring as shit, but it wasn't obnoxious like the JBA headquarters, presenting options than merely a linear path. The side missions were argubly the best part of that game, no fucking about, no cinematic bullshit, straight to the bread and butter.

So yea, it's very easy to shit on Ubisoft and want to give them an ounce of credit, but... when the inevitable Splinter Cell comes, they actually might not turn it into Fortnite.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

They did a good job with ghost of tsunami so I can't see why not

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

The new game will be as great as the first game. I hope. I HOPE!

I feel like playing the original xbox game now. Will check if it is bc with my Xbox One X.

Legacy99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Legacy99
Member since 2021 • 13 Posts

Of course they will find some way to eff it up

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10555 Posts

@davillain- said:Well given the fact EA is remaking the first Dead Space game which is my all time fav horror game, I do hope Ubisoft follows EA footsteps of making the first Splinter Cell game and remaking it to see if the general public is hungry for this dormant franchise to return. All in all, a remake would be the smart thing to do if Ubisoft cares about Splinter Cell.

at this stage i will take that.

@uninspiredcup said:That's the main problem I think will happen, Double Agent, unlocking stuff, grind walls, simplified on/off stealth, gimmick missions (base/prison) rather than the old formula of simply selecting kit for the job.

yep. just three options with ct - stealth loadout, assault loadout, or redding's recommended loadout. nothing to buy. no currency to grind in game. no convoluted upgrade tree to navigate. no good gear locked several skill levels away until near end game... good times

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

Can't wait for them to cut and paste the open world formula.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

Every Splinter Cell after Chaos Theory was downhill and Chaos Theory isn't even that good (yea I said it fite me). Plus given how poor Ubisoft's modern track record is, I expect it will be open world Splinter Cell where you liberate enemy forts by killing 5 guards, and climb radio towers to unlock the map.

Will hold 0 expectations.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8509 Posts

Yes. It's Ubisoft they will f**k it up. Haven't you guys seen the PoP: SoT reveal?

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1273 Posts

BlackList 2 would be just fine with me....

They couldn't possibly think that going open world would be a good idea right? Nobody could be thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat tone deaf? Right?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44545 Posts

Maybe. Maybe not. I tried a couple of the Splinter Cell games before but just couldn’t ever get into them. I voted for option 3.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

Love splinter cell, but too little too late. I have no faith. Prove me wrong Ubisoft and I'll be very happy..

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Low expectations, I'll be happy if it's just ok.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

We have more chances of Nintendo releasing a console above the PS5 in terms of raw power than Ubisoft getting Splinter Cell right.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

I think they'll ruin the game in the way they have ruined AC games.....by filling it with UbiStore microtransactions such as armors, xp, money, "time savers" , etc

We wouldn't need time savers if you didn't make the game overy long and grindy so people feel forced to pay to win

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

I kinda have hope here. It seems this is meant as a response to the last few games not being well received. If they find the right studio and take a "back to basics" approach, it could be cool. Could be Ubisoft's "Fallen Order".

Maybe I've been taking to much candy from those pixies that live in my rose garden.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

If it's a proper SP Splinter Cell game, I'm in. But knowing Ubi, it'll be some online open world thing with a million markers over the map and towers to unlock.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm expecting an action game with stealth mechanics that you don't need to use.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#20 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Blacklist is one of the most underrated stealth games of the past decade.

Its not perfect but the fundamentals were generally very good. I'd like to see another entry like that.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

If true, I have no faith.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I have no faith in Ubisoft making a good Splinter Cell game they probably would turn it into live service trash.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

Ubisoft is pretty trash right now, and I imagine it will be awhile before they can pull themselves out of it.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I'd be surprised if they don't.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

IMO a Splinter Cell game would be ruined with:

• A "game as service" approach, i.e. unlocks, online-singleplayer, any sort of credit system to buy stuff, etc.
  • Open-world level design.
  • A focus (majority of game) on multiplayer; not saying you can't have multiplayer in a Splinter Cell game, I'm just saying the game series is best as a linear, singleplayer experience.
  • A skill, loot, or unlock system. You're an elite operative of an uber-secret elite organization; you don't get any better trained, you shouldn't be unlocking jack shit, no skill unlocks.
  • Any semblance of "woke" agenda that Ubisoft is overcompensating for to make up for their past offenses; while I support equal rights, this is a Tom Clancy game, and it's all about the nitty-gritty underworld of espionage and shit. If you want to make Grimsdottir a lesbian or whatever that's fine by me just don't have her looking like a character out of Watch Dogs Legion or something.

The likelihood of Ubisoft doing any one of the above is a borderline absolute, and more than one of the above is very likely. So yes I think they will mess it up.

Honestly what I would like to see Splinter Cell do is more or less follow the Hitman formula.

• Open-ended levels that are not open-world with a main story,
  • For longevity, add optional side missions, daily/weekly/monthly missions, and replayability via community events and such.
  • Option to go lethal/non-lethal.
  • Scaleable stealth; bring back the light and sound meter. Add/lessen difficulty by making enemies more/less observant.

If you just give me a Hitman game that is about hiding in shadows (versus hiding in plain sight) and is Splinter Cell themed, I'd be happy. I would sooner take that than whatever Ubisoft is planning to do.

@uninspiredcup said:

Perhaps. The hatred towards their disregard of the Tom Clancy IP has gained traction. Not just actual Tom Clancy fans getting annoyed but disgusting normies.

Depending on how you look at it, Splinter Cell largely hasn't been fucked up beyond Conviction.

Double Agent on PC was a shit-show port-wise, but still a Splinter Cell game, albeit with dumb annoying shit.

That's the main problem I think will happen, Double Agent, unlocking stuff, grind walls, simplified on/off stealth, gimmick missions (base/prison) rather than the old formula of simply selecting kit for the job.

Yeah there's still hope I suppose because it's the least screwed up of their Franchises at this point, but it's been slowly sliding backwards for a long time.

Given the direction they've taken the Tom Clancy franchise as a whole, I really doubt it will improve.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

I think the issue is:

From the customer's perspective, they screw it up. From their perspective, it's just right.

It might as well be a game designed by an algorithm to maximize marketability. Ubisoft is a machine.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Of course they'll screw it up. Also, I don't give a crap about Splinter Cell.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

If they don't screw it up people will say they screwed up, but people will buy whatever anyways. Maybe the shit they seem to be eating with people's lack of interest in Far Cry 6 is going to reverberate through rest of company with other IPs not to just shotgun sequels.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 748 Posts

Yes I sort of expect whatever the worst decision possible to be. Like a PSVR fps and an Animal Crossing style game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 25062 Posts

Splinter cell not being good since Chaos theory which was masterpiece.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@simple-facts said:

They did a good job with ghost of tsunami so I can't see why not

Burn!!!!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

I will continue to believe Ubisoft can't make anything good anymore until proven otherwise.

The last good shit from them was Rayman. That was how long ago? 2013?

To answer the thread title, all signs points to "yes".

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#33 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I really liked Blacklist but I don't have faith in them anymore to pull something off even of that quality. It didn't sell great when it came out (hence the lack of subsequent SC games), so I can't see them going with a discrete level approach without some kind of annoying RPG/live service elements.

I hope I'm wrong, always was one of my favorite Ubisoft series but I'm pretty skeptical that it will be any good

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

Splinter cell is fun, fun, fun. I hope the announcement is sooner rather than later.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

"winning back fans who didn't embrace splinter cell mobile and VR spin offs."

So they're trying to win back 99.9% of splinter cell fans.

I do actually think ubi can pull it off. The formula of the original games was wonderful. I wonder what it would be like to have an original modernized version modeled after chaos theory?

Just make that game....

Also, shout out to conviction. Loved that game. Played the hell out if it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

after this is shown u will understand why im permanently bitching about ubishit

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts

Hope it's good, but yeah zero expectations here. Everything that made up the good SC games is in direct conflict with everything Ubi does now.

I feel like best case scenario is an actual good core game, but saddled with a bunch of bullshit that drags it down.

Would love to be wrong.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

I am just waiting to down vote their youtube reveal of the game😆Please don't forget to do the same🙃

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I am just waiting to down vote their youtube reveal of the game😆Please don't forget to do the same🙃

What an exciting life you lead😆

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

Says Casey, the one creating dumb threads on daily basis😆

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

With all the overtime you put in here I'm surprised you have the free time for these extracurricular activities 😆

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:
@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

With all the overtime you put in here I'm surprised you have the free time for these extracurricular activities 😆

I have a lot of overtime for you. When i see a "special" speciment, i find time😆😆😆

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

I want a "I hope not" option.